Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Supposedly, farts emitted by fish. The image seems not to be behind the subscriber wall at the moment.

Meanwhile, the Astronomical Journal battles back with "OBSERVATIONAL CONSTRAINTS ON THE DEGENERATE MASS-RADIUS RELATION"

... Viewed at the highest level of abstraction, it sort of is. It's just that white dwarfs have a funny relation. The higher the mass, the smaller the radius. And if the mass gets too high, they explode and barf their guts out into the Galaxy around them.

Why is it the Kama Sutra?

Shouldn't the other punctuation marks be able to have fun too?

The Semi-Colon Sutra?

The Question mark Sutra?

The Exclamation point Sutra?

The Backslash Sutra?

The Ellipsis Sutra...

...could all be fun, in their own unique ways.

But there will never be a Tilde Sutra!

Don't count on it.

I'd pay to see a Tilda Sutra, if you got Tilda Swinton to pose for the illustrations.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Publications proudly presents

Currently you have Venus and Jupiter in the night sky close to each other. However to the west of them is another planet. Can anyone tell me which one ?
You could mean Uranus?

edit: this is the solar system tonight, the ball in the bright sunlight is Venus. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7351985/dtvenusjupitar.PNG

Currently you have Venus and Jupiter in the night sky close to each other. However to the west of them is another planet. Can anyone tell me which one ?

?? No, there's no other planets between Jupiter and the Sun, in terms of where they are appearing in our sky at the moment. The Pleiades is in the vicinity of Venus, and Aldebaran is trailing (east of) Venus by about as much as Jupiter is leading (west of) Venus.

Mars is high in the sky in the evening (in Leo); Saturn is just rising in the east. Uranus and Mercury are both close to but ahead of the Sun (that is, they set a little before the Sun does).

... Viewed at the highest level of abstraction' date=' it sort of is. It's just that white dwarfs have a funny relation. The higher the mass, the smaller the radius. And if the mass gets too high, they explode and barf their guts out into the Galaxy around them.[/quote']

"Would you care for a wafer-thin accretion disk?" ;)

The Earth!

(If you look up and to the west just after sunset from my house, you'll see Venus, Jupiter, and then just below them the Rockies). :winkgrin:

?? No, there's no other planets between Jupiter and the Sun, in terms of where they are appearing in our sky at the moment. The Pleiades is in the vicinity of Venus, and Aldebaran is trailing (east of) Venus by about as much as Jupiter is leading (west of) Venus.

Mars is high in the sky in the evening (in Leo); Saturn is just rising in the east. Uranus and Mercury are both close to but ahead of the Sun (that is, they set a little before the Sun does).

I have been watching the planets when weather allows, although I haven't seen Saturn lately. Where is Neptune at this time?