Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Guest Skaramine

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Conversation with the roommate who got back a bit late.

"I'm back. Hope you didn't rent the room out while I was gone."

"Nope, but we sold the house. We're moving May 1."

"oh"

I feel sorry for the guy, but he should be able to find something.

:rofl:

Poor guy.

:rofl:

Poor guy.

He doesn't have much stuff, but just got back from Ohio. We're charging a lot less for his remainder of time since I'm cool if he just covers his part of the utilities.

Though I'm betting he wished he could of stayed away another night. We've got our house inspection tommorow and they'll need to get into his room. And that's his prime sleeping time. :(

Shouldn't take too long, but annoying anyway.

I wonder where my taxes go. I pay state income taxes. I pay a property tax on my car. I pay gas tax every time I fill up.

I have to get my car registered again.

• $12 for a safety inspection (humorous when I see cars held together with tape trundling along the rode).
  • $24 for emissions inspection. This inspection consisted of doing a leak test on my gas tank (~1 minute) and plugging into my car's diagnostic computer (~30 seconds). A minute and thirty seconds later I am out $24 and have a nifty decal and a required piece of paper. (though I did get to wait in line. funny thing, at the emissions center, they require to leave your engine running while you wait in line for the car ahead of you to finish). (note 2: This is also a joke, I daily see cars with so pouring so much smoke I think they are on fire, but they apparently pass well enough to get liscenced)
  • Property tax receipts. Admittedly my fault, but I had to go downtown to get tax receipts.
  • registration $49.50; I get to wait in line then get told cash or check...too bad I don't carry that much cash on me and don't typically have checks on me, guess I get to come back

Fortunataly this only happens every two years. Unfortunataly I have to look at this money being spent and wonder, where does my tax money go?

Obviously it doesn't go to e-filing software that would allow you to handle all this crap through money order or credit card. :mad:

JG

It always seems that people who play Doc Holiday outshine those who play Wyatt Earp.

Other good Kilmer films include Thunderheart, Willow and Kill Me Again

Willow, definitely. Didn't see Thunderheart.

I actually liked The Doors.

Or rather, it was an incoherent mess, so as a biography of Jim Morrison, it was perfect. :D

JG

Willow, definitely. Didn't see Thunderheart.

I actually liked The Doors.

Or rather, it was an incoherent mess, so as a biography of Jim Morrison, it was perfect. :D

JG

I'll never forget when I went to see The Doors, during the end credits, when they got to Val Kilmer, the entire theater stood up and cheered.

I believe that role-playing couldn't have been successful without the early plagarism. They go hand in hand.

Yes TSR (primarily EGG?) stole good ideas without licensing them or crediting the originators (Vance, Moorcock, Tolkien and CAS), but it was precisely these elements blended together that gave birth to roleplaying.

As regretable as it is, RPGs owe their existence to plagarism. This is RPG's "big bang".

True of many, many things, especially the software explosion of the '80s. Everybody ripped off VisiCalc. I can't remember where MS-DOS was ripped from, but much of the core of that had been developed before.

Reuse is an important, even a critical element for innovation. That's why copyright and patent laws can't be too restrictive. I'm all for intellectual property rights, but there has to be an ability for dynamic growth of ideas as well and some sort of reasonable reuse.

Okay, so I was in a Virgin Magastore in the UK, first of all, no virgins for sale, I was a bit disappointed. but they had music which was cool.

I am curious though.

I saw a huge section for a band I'd never heard of: Status Quo. They looked 70's rock to me but the later albums reminded me of Hall & Oats...

I almost bought some just to see...

You should. Especially their live stuff. Their sound has evolved over the years and I definitely like their later studio stuff better than the early studio stuff, but if you can grab their live albums they're definitely worth picking up. Assuming, of course, that you like good ol' fashioned rock'n'roll without all the whistles and bells.

They're a hoot to see live, too (twice now, for me).

Here's their site: http://www.statusquo.co.uk/

Their fact sheet is a fun read, and really quite impressive.

True of many, many things, especially the software explosion of the '80s. Everybody ripped off VisiCalc. I can't remember where MS-DOS was ripped from, but much of the core of that had been developed before.

Reuse is an important, even a critical element for innovation. That's why copyright and patent laws can't be too restrictive. I'm all for intellectual property rights, but there has to be an ability for dynamic growth of ideas as well and some sort of reasonable reuse.

That's why the patents on business processes make little sense. Some of the patents out there now are similar to patenting a 24-hour market.

I agree. I'm glad you can't copyright parts of written material.

It's interesting to see what some authors can do with some really old, stale materal.

You should. Especially their live stuff. Their sound has evolved over the years and I definitely like their later studio stuff better than the early studio stuff, but if you can grab their live albums they're definitely worth picking up. Assuming, of course, that you like good ol' fashioned rock'n'roll without all the whistles and bells.

They're a hoot to see live, too (twice now, for me).

Here's their site: http://www.statusquo.co.uk/

Their fact sheet is a fun read, and really quite impressive.

I didn't know they were still doing stuff. Though I only have they're version of "Pictures of Matchstick Men"

Guest Skaramine

I agree. I'm glad you can't copyright parts of written material.

It's interesting to see what some authors can do with some really old, stale materal.

Yeah. I wouldn't have a career if it weren't for old, stale material needing some new life.

The really good stuff is Caroline and Rocking All Over the World. They opened Live Aid with the latter.

Three chord boogie. Simple but infectious

As is most of their stuff, actually. I can't stress enough how much of a 'live' band this is--their studio work is good, but their live stuff makes the band, IMO. "Roadhouse Medley", "Rockin' All Over The World", "Whatever You Want", "Gerdendulla", "In The Army Now", "Hold You Back"...all good.

Does that include the web-based ICQ' date=' too? http://go.icq.com[/quote']

Forbidden

You were denied access because:

Access denied by SmartFilter content category. The requested URL belongs to the following category: Chat.

I'm blocked from the YahooGroups pages and RPG.net's forums, too. I think it's only a matter of time before I can't get here from work any more.

Forbidden

You were denied access because:

Access denied by SmartFilter content category. The requested URL belongs to the following category: Chat.

I'm blocked from the YahooGroups pages and RPG.net's forums, too. I think it's only a matter of time before I can't get here from work any more.

Bummer. Back to having to walk away from your computer when you take a break.

As is most of their stuff' date=' actually. I can't stress enough how much of a 'live' band this is--their studio work is good, but their live stuff makes the band, IMO. "Roadhouse Medley", "Rockin' All Over The World", "Whatever You Want", "Gerdendulla", "In The Army Now", "Hold You Back"...all good.[/quote']

Well, that's all the endorsement I need...

The really good stuff is Caroline and Rocking All Over the World. They opened Live Aid with the latter.

I was under the impression that they were the inspiration for Spinal Tap (in that that group started as psychedelic folk and turned into metal).

JG

I was under the impression that they were the inspiration for Spinal Tap (in that that group started as psychedelic folk and turned into metal).

JG

Could be. Some of their early stuff is certainly psychedelic. Yep, that'd definitely be the word for it.

Guest Worldmaker

Actually, Men At Work opened Live Aid. T'is true. :)

But I knew Status Quo sounded familiar... I was watching the Live Aid DVD just the other night...

Actually, Men At Work opened Live Aid. T'is true. :)

But I knew Status Quo sounded familiar... I was watching the Live Aid DVD just the other night...

It was my understanding that Men At Work were part of the "Oz for Africa" benefit, technically a separate benefit than the "Live Aid"/Feed The World gig but scheduled to coincide with the US/England concerts. Men At Work wasn't even the first act of that benefit, but they were shown briefly during the Live Aid concert because their stage time coincided with the opening.

But yeah, Live Aid is where I first heard of Quo, as well, followed by the Knebworth benefit in 1987 (which is a great double CD with the likes of Quo, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Robert Plant & Jimmy Page, and many others).