Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I believe he's mentioned it. Basically' date=' a lot of people, upon seeing the first movie, noted that the actress would be quite attractive when she grew up. She's now of legal age, so Ben is openly acknowledging that she HAS grown up to be hot.[/quote']

Um...no, not quite. I mean yeah, she's cute as a button, but Emma Watson is fifteen years old. She was born in 1990.

Um...no' date=' not quite. I mean yeah, she's cute as a button, but Emma Watson is fifteen years old. She was born in 1990.[/quote']

Really? Hunh. I could've sworn. Ah, well. Now that she's grown up to be hot, then, he's acknowledging it.

I fear I am rapidly burning my bridges with my soon to be ex.

Burning bridges isn't always a bad thing.

(This actually was in the Q & A thread.)

A: Not really' date=' but happiness is probably an unattainable state. By the way, surprised to see anyone would have the same answer as me to that![/quote']

Decades ago a friend who spend most of his time in a severely depressed state taped a little story on his office door. It ran something like this.

One day at the monestery the tale went around the refectory at breakfast that the young monk Shoju had achieved enlightenment.

Shoju's friends sought him out and asked if the story was true.

"It is," said Shoju.

"And how do you feel?" they asked him.

"Just as miserable as ever," he replied.

(This actually was in the Q & A thread.)

Decades ago a friend who spend most of his time in a severely depressed state taped a little story on his office door. It ran something like this.

One day at the monestery the tale went around the refectory at breakfast that the young monk Shoju had achieved enlightenment.

Shoju's friends sought him out and asked if the story was true.

"It is," said Shoju.

"And how do you feel?" they asked him.

"Just as miserable as ever," he replied.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cancer again."

Every so often I sit down and watch a movie that I haven't seen yet' date=' but that apparently everyone else has, and everyone raved about it. It was a hit at the box office, it was a hit with the critics, it may even have won awards (be it an Oscar or some horse-hockey "fan favorite" type award), and so on [i']ad nauseum[/i].

Well, I didn't like the movie and I can't help but wonder if that's just a matter of taste or, in my overwhelming arrogance, if everyone else was just fooled into thinking they were supposed to like it. It's the same with music, or television shows, or just about anything. Yeah, it's mostly about personal tastes, but what about those times when everyone but me likes something?

I mean, sometimes I know I'm the exception, but once in a while I feel like shouting, "WAKE UP!" to everyone I see.

Which movie are you talking about?

This has happened to me a few times, often enough that, the fifth time someone recommended I see Titanic, I made up my mind NOT to see it.

More recently, I was disappointed by Kung Fu Hustle. Not for any particular reason; it just wasn't the be-all and end-all of kung fu comedy I was expecting, having listened to reviews and raves about it.

I liked Kung Fu Hustle but I slept through the middle part of Titanic whilst on a plane to the States.

But I take Vanguard's point and it applies equally to books, people and music as well.

I know that I am preaching to the converted here but Paris Hilton, attractive ?

BLEH !

Which movie are you talking about?

Well, in this particular case it was "Something About Mary". I just didn't like it. Don't like Stiller, not all that big a fan of Cameron Diaz, hate Chris Whatshisname, but everyone said it was really funny. It has funny parts in it, sure, but...meh. Happens all the time, though. "Fargo", for example, while good, was not what I considered a "great" movie (just saw it a couple of weeks ago), and I caught crap from a load of people for saying it wasn't all that, much less a bag o' chips.

I agree with you about Something About Mary. I seem to remember being angry at whoever recommended it to me. Or maybe just disgusted.

I liked Fargo, but recognize it takes a certain mindset to enjoy it. I can't watch that movie when I'm in a really good mood; I just can't. I have to be at least a little grouchy.

Along those lines, I recently watched Raising Arizona, on my boss's recommendation. I haven't the heart to tell him I enjoyed all of five minutes of it.

I liked Kung Fu Hustle but I slept through the middle part of Titanic whilst on a plane to the States.

But I take Vanguard's point and it applies equally to books, people and music as well.

I know that I am preaching to the converted here but Paris Hilton, attractive ?

BLEH !

Amen to that, and I'm not even religious!

My office is 2.5 doors down from one of the kitchenettes on the floor. This means I catch a lot of noise, so I keep my door closed and my disk player handy with "noisy" disks in the wallet.

Today, though, I feel like Speaker-to-Animals. Somebody microwaved something ... perhaps microwaved it too much ... and the smell of burned garbage cannot be escaped. Yech. :idjit:

I'm just down the hall from our break room/kitchen. Friday they had to replace the microwave because someone nuked popcorn just a tad over the limit. Melted the bag, almost set off the fire alarm (bad when you have over 200 servers and 800 PCs in one building), and basically stunk up the joint somethin' fierce. :ugly::idjit:

I cannot write a grant. I have no talent for it. It feels a bit like a job interview. I know what I want and they do too, but we have to perform this silly little ritual that requires certain verbiage and actually precludes any real communication.

I hate this.

I've been there. It's one of the many reasons I bailed out of mainstream academia 5.5 years ago.