Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Confused? Good . . . :eg:

No, I think Rage's in one of his no-sleep periods . . . I was just messing with him. :whistle: I've lived here in Norrland for my whole life; born in Piteå and moved here to Umeå three years ago, for family- and work-related reasons.

Ah, so now we know Rage is just a dumb-head...I'm so disappointed...crushed, really...

Oh, and Rage, gaze upon my works...

:D:snicker:

...and despair!

The Atkins Diet: Now for your SUV' date=' too![/quote']

Heh.

Apparently they're rigging 18 wheelers to burn used french fry oil. Lemme see if I can find a link . . .

ah, here we are: http://www.mountainx.com/news/2004/0811altfuel.php

PS: I like this part best:

"By contrast, Rob Moody's converted Dodge pickup takes its biodiesel straight. The Asheville-area "green" contractor, who owns The EcoBuilders, fills his truck's tank with 100 percent recycled vegetable oil that he gets for free from local restaurants.

"I emptied out a Long John Silver's the other day," he told Xpress. "All the employees came out to watch."

Asheville racecar mechanic (and recent mayoral candidate) Dave Goree did the petro-to-veggie makeover on the truck for $3,300, and Moody says the vehicle runs "great." Goree, owner of Energy Liberty, Inc., used stainless-steel pipes (instead of the usual plastic) to prevent the glycerine gumming-up that pure biodiesel can cause. The oil goes through four filters, Moody explains; and the cleaner the oil he gets, the longer the filters will last. The truck has two fuel tanks; the first time the vehicle is used after filling up with vegetable oil, the engine starts up and runs on conventional diesel or B20 for 10-15 minutes, while the exhaust system heats the oil to the "boil-out" point (to eliminate all the water). Then a thermostat switches the engine over to the pure biodiesel. Clear, dark-colored grease is best, says Moody; the more tan and opaque it is, the more water it contains."

Heh.

Apparently they're rigging 18 wheelers to burn used french fry oil. Lemme see if I can find a link . . .

ah, here we are: http://www.mountainx.com/news/2004/0811altfuel.php

PS: I like this part best:

"By contrast, Rob Moody's converted Dodge pickup takes its biodiesel straight. The Asheville-area "green" contractor, who owns The EcoBuilders, fills his truck's tank with 100 percent recycled vegetable oil that he gets for free from local restaurants.

"I emptied out a Long John Silver's the other day," he told Xpress. "All the employees came out to watch."

Asheville racecar mechanic (and recent mayoral candidate) Dave Goree did the petro-to-veggie makeover on the truck for $3,300, and Moody says the vehicle runs "great." Goree, owner of Energy Liberty, Inc., used stainless-steel pipes (instead of the usual plastic) to prevent the glycerine gumming-up that pure biodiesel can cause. The oil goes through four filters, Moody explains; and the cleaner the oil he gets, the longer the filters will last. The truck has two fuel tanks; the first time the vehicle is used after filling up with vegetable oil, the engine starts up and runs on conventional diesel or B20 for 10-15 minutes, while the exhaust system heats the oil to the "boil-out" point (to eliminate all the water). Then a thermostat switches the engine over to the pure biodiesel. Clear, dark-colored grease is best, says Moody; the more tan and opaque it is, the more water it contains."

Nice article, OWoSS! :thumbup:

I've been trying to find a piece I read this spring - I think - about a new type of cracking plant that can turn everything organic - including tires and tripe! - into petroleum products! But no luck yet . . .

Was ist "meänkieli"? just curious you understand...

I would really like to visit Finland and Sweden. I have some indirect contacts that could connect me with a rifle club where they shoot "Benchrest" AKA psychotic quest for maximum accuracy-- and EVERY rifle has a SUPPRESSOR on it. :)

Not to mention I would like to hunt moose and Ptarmigan.

Cue Dead pan reading a script voice/

No I would not look at the women. I am a Happily married man and would never even look at another woman./ end voice

:whistle::whistle::angel:

Correct on the swede thing . . . As far as I know, I have only swedish, finnish and meänkieli ancestors. It's strange that I'm not blonder than I am! :D

Flawless english?! Aw . . . I'm blushing all over, man!

was that the article aobut using chicken offal and such?

Pretty interesting, but I can't remember whether it was really efficient in terms of energy used. Still it has a lot of potential.

Now if I could talk the paper companies into being responsible and using

a) all the damned branches and such that are left after logging

and

B) Papyrus reeds which could be harvested a couple times a year in south and central america, and leftovers could probably be used for other biomass situations

and get some more support for using wheat straw to make strawboard, which is kind of like a high density particle board made out of what is now waste...

Nice article, OWoSS! :thumbup:

I've been trying to find a piece I read this spring - I think - about a new type of cracking plant that can turn everything organic - including tires and tripe! - into petroleum products! But no luck yet . . .

Was ist "meänkieli"? just curious you understand...

Meänkieli is a dialect of Finnish spoken in the Torneå river valley, the borderland between Sweden and Finnland. It has some proponents that argues that it is a language in and of itself, and that the Tornedalningar should consider themselves a separate people. My paternal grandmother comes from Övertorneå, and my father was born there.

I would really like to visit Finland and Sweden. I have some indirect contacts that could connect me with a rifle club where they shoot "Benchrest" AKA psychotic quest for maximum accuracy-- and EVERY rifle has a SUPPRESSOR on it. :)

Welcome to Sweden; the home of 'Germans in human form!' Everything here is designed for maximized neatness . . . :rolleyes:

Not to mention I would like to hunt moose and Ptarmigan.

. . . Ptarmigan? Wuh? :think:

But as far as the moose are concerned, you're welcome to come over and cull the heard as much as you like!

. . . And some of us wouldn't mind if you got a few reindeers to, while you're at it. Stupid, stupid creatures . . . And the only time they fly is when they get hit by cars!

They taste good, though . . . Smoked reindeer heart . . . Mmmmm!

Cue Dead pan reading a script voice/

No I would not look at the women. I am a Happily married man and would never even look at another woman./ end voice

:whistle::whistle::angel:

. . . Not even if you're wearing mirror shades? :D

was that the article aobut using chicken offal and such?

Pretty interesting, but I can't remember whether it was really efficient in terms of energy used. Still it has a lot of potential.

Exactly, just the thing I was looking for! As far as I can recall, they said that they would use part of the production of the plant to power it, like with gas and other, hard-to-transport stuff.

Now if I could talk the paper companies into being responsible and using

a) all the damned branches and such that are left after logging

and

B) Papyrus reeds which could be harvested a couple times a year in south and central america, and leftovers could probably be used for other biomass situations

and get some more support for using wheat straw to make strawboard, which is kind of like a high density particle board made out of what is now waste...

Waste not, want not . . . :)

that is the one!

In sweden they have traditionally hunted them with low powered rifles. Post WWII, they were trying to figure out what to do with a plant that had been built to make 9mm Parabellum ammo. After the war they decided to make a new cartridge for Partridge shooting. The longest case that the machinery could make was 33 mm. So they necked it down to 7mm, which was the traditional caliber for that purpose, and make a really sweet little rifle caliber.

Ptarmigan = Ripa! Like a grouse' date=' but white in the winter.[/quote']

Guest Worldmaker

Yeah man, thats real cool.

I was just asked to be my friends best man do you have any tips?

I all ready know the one about not gettin gdrunk and throwing up on the maid of honour.

If you're asked to do anything other than stand there, hand over the rings when asked, and then give a toast at the reception, go along with it no matter how stupid you think the thing they are asking you to do actually is.

Saves on aggravation.

Apparently' date=' I live in a Sodomite nation . . . Who [i']are [/i] these Westboro Baptist people?

Reminds me of something I heard in Scotland a lot while there - apparently Jerry Falwell (I think, or one of his ilk) said the nation was under the control of gays!!!! :confused: Jerk.

It's physically impossible for you to lick your elbow.

Well, Edsel apparently disproved that (though I'm interested in how long his tongue must be or how flexible his body is...either way he must be popular with the ladies...)

I will say, I checked it out. No way for me.

Guest Skaramine

Wondering which is the patron(ess) muse of the Boards: My first guess would be Calliope' date=' whose sphere was epic (or heroic) poetry. NGD might have it's own: Maybe Clio (history).[/quote']

I'm thinking Eric (Discord) or Hera, the Goddess of the Hearth and Home, who tried to up and jack every one of Zeus' illigitimate sons.