Good bye

nexus

Re: Good bye

Don't bother.

Frankly, chuckles, you're being an argumentative ass. And we really don't have need of any more of those around here (of late).

So....I'm going to officially overstep my bounds and put you in a "time out" -- also known as a temporary ban.

Ben can (of course) override this when he gets in for the day (making it a very short temporary ban). Or he can make it permanent -- that's his call.

Having read this entire thread, I'm thoroughly disappointed in chuckg's behavior, not because of the whole "it's okay to argue with someone's opinion" thing... that's fine. It's this one phrase "But I never promised to be nice to anyone," that really gets me. If you're going to be using these boards, you'd better believe you're going to be nice. If not, then you don't get to use these boards. It's that simple.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Worldmaker

Let me make one last point at the moment:

If a person does not want their views and positions questioned and debated, then perhaps they should not put them up for debate. If a person *does* put them up for debate, then they are giving tacit approval to those who come up and debate them.

The issue isn't debating or not debating, its the manner in which the "debate" proceeds.

If you were to post "In my opinion, they should stop making left-handed waffle irons because the market for them is small and the manufacturer loses money", and I say in response "This is true, but does the cost of manufacturing them really outweigh the potential market? Maybe it breaks even and the company feels justified in supplying lefties kitchen equipment for the PR they gain?" its debating in a polite manner and all is right with the world.

If you were to post "In my opinion, they should stop making left-handed waffle irons because the market for them is small and the manufacturer loses money" and I say in response "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Only a moron would think that way", then I'm emulating Chuckg's debating style, which is not polite and is intended to ruffle feathers.

Guest Worldmaker

:think: actually no because i hadnt read the thread in question before hoping on this one. So i can say it wasnt obvious to everyone who he was talking about. :angel:

I didn't know who he was talking about until Flamey-Boy started posting and people started quoting him (I've got Chuck on ignore, you see) being defensive. So it really wasn't obvious to me at all.

I didn't know who he was talking about until Flamey-Boy started posting and people started quoting him (I've got Chuck on ignore' date=' you see) being defensive. So it really wasn't obvious to me at all.[/quote']

Count me in the "didn't know until the rebuttals started" camp, as I must not have been following the thread this started in.

Some people on this board have argumentative styles. I'm probably one of them, so I don't think I'm in a position to throw stones. It is nice to see some of the more level-headed posters chime in when they think someone's being unfairly abused. Hence, "internet community".

Please, do you *really* think it wasn't obvious to whom nexus was referring in the original post here?? It was a blatant sympathy grab.

Apparently, it is "riding one's ass" or "unwillingness to tolerate any disagreement" to point out the flaws in the arguments that someone else is making.

It wasn't obvious to me, as I hadn't read the thread in question. So, yeah, it wasn't obvious to everyone until Chuckg made it obvious and continued the argument here.

I had to hunt down the impetus for this whole thing myself (having barely been on last week). I had ChuckG on ignore a while back but removed everyone last week just to see if things were all better.

Already 3 people made it back on, which means I must be thinner skinned than I thought. The other two are political posters with no self-control from th NGD forums.

Y'know, agree or disagree with someone, it's still poor form to be attacking them when they aren't around.

Not to mention this whole thing is getting real old.

Old it may be getting but I think folks are just processing what happened. I suppose you would consider my posts attacks but what I was going for was correction and warning someone from pushing too far.

Old it may be getting but I think folks are just processing what happened. I suppose you would consider my posts attacks but what I was going for was correction and warning someone from pushing too far.

I wasn't really speaking specifically of your posts. Many others are simply tossing insults around - and again, at someone who isn't even here. I don't see a whole lot of value to that.

I wasn't really speaking specifically of your posts. Many others are simply tossing insults around - and again' date=' at someone who isn't even here. I don't see a whole lot of value to that.[/quote'] I don't get that. What I'm getting from reading the posts is that quite a few folks agree with Nexus' perception of how he was treated and that most folks agree there is a problem with Chuckg's philosophy as to how to post. He burned some folks and they are letting Nexus and others know that he/she/they are not alone. Still, who knows (Ben and Dan), he might get to come back (assuming he's even interested).

I know you like Chuckg and I know Metaphysician does as well. I think it's admirable to defend a friend. I also think it's admirable to take a friend aside and privately let them know when they've gone too far.

I had to hunt down the impetus for this whole thing myself (having barely been on last week). I had ChuckG on ignore a while back but removed everyone last week just to see if things were all better.

Already 3 people made it back on, which means I must be thinner skinned than I thought. The other two are political posters with no self-control from th NGD forums.

Can you see this?

then I am not one of them! :D

:think: actually no because i hadnt read the thread in question before hoping on this one. So i can say it wasnt obvious to everyone who he was talking about. :angel:

Then maybe you should refrain from commenting until you have read the thread, and can judge based on first hand information whether nexus was, in fact, being horribly abused.

It wasn't obvious to me' date=' as I hadn't read the thread in question. So, yeah, it wasn't obvious to everyone until Chuckg made it obvious and continued the argument here.[/quote']

This is the third person who's said this very same thing.

Okay, if you hadn't read the original thread, then why the hell were you here automatically feeling all sorry for nexus without knowing whether or not he had any legitimate complaint??

I don't get that. What I'm getting from reading the posts is that quite a few folks agree with Nexus' perception of how he was treated and that most folks agree there is a problem with Chuckg's philosophy as to how to post. He burned some folks and they are letting Nexus and others know that he/she/they are not alone. Still, who knows (Ben and Dan), he might get to come back (assuming he's even interested).

I know you like Chuckg and I know Metaphysician does as well. I think it's admirable to defend a friend. I also think it's admirable to take a friend aside and privately let them know when they've gone too far.

And if he spontaneously went berserk, I would.

This was not spontaneous. This was a ploy on nexus' part to draw sympathy, mainly from people who hadn't even read the original thread. This thread reeked from the very beginning.