Good bye

nexus

That's it. I'm done. My posts are generally ignored or crapped on, I actually get less respect the than Hero Haters that pop up from time to time. I'm not the type to hang out where I am not wanted. I've met some nice people on here and I wanted to let them know what was up.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Good bye

I think you maybe making this choice prematurely and while still upset. I hope you reconsider.

Apparently my opinion, which I have never called anything but is so objectionable I'm bringing people out of the woodwork just to ride my ass about it. Even tseuji at his worst rarely manages to do that.

Hurm...

I just got caught up on the main thread that probably sparked this. I hope you reconsider. Yes, we disagreed on the thread and I left long before it got more heated (Sleep is a good thing), but I thought you represented your points cogently and thoughtfully. I was more than ready to just agree to disagree. You weren't frothing at the mouth or anything, just expressing your views.

Hopefully you'll be around a good long while as the points you did bring up were ones that should be considered by any GM getting ready to run a superhero game. As you said in the thread, it's a very delicate balance that needs to be struck when running, and being aware of some of the potential pitfalls can only be a good thing.

I'll give it a few days and see how I feel then. There is allot of good material and great people on this board. Most of the people on that thread weren't that bad, it was just a few I felt were treating me like a moron for not agreeing totally with them. And that really sets me off. I should be less cranky or learn to just brush things off, but sometimes I explode.

Edit: Ironically enough, I ususally find myself arguing the Gamist perspective on Rpg.net. My I am just naturally contrary.

Well, allow me to represent the contrary opinion:

"Internet suicide notes" such as this are generally exercise in stirring up pity and playing the victim. 'Because I got so owned in a debate, I'm taking my marbles and GOING HOME!' (insert offended eight-year-old tone of voice)

I've seen them before, repeatedly, on other venues. And I laugh at them, mockingly.

And yes, nexus, that does mean I'm laughing at you, too.

... harsh? Yup. Insulting? Yup. Mean-spirited? mmmm... guilty!

But I never promised to be nice to anyone. I just promised to not be insincere.

I don't care how much popularity I lose with this post -- my own opinion of nexus' nauseating self-pity party here is that any lingering respect I may still have had for him has just died.

Now that was really uncalled for Cg. I mean the man apologized for his actions and you had to start something. Why is that some people can never seem to just let it go.

Nexus ignore the TROLL. Harsh yes but considering the nature and tone of the post well deserved. I wil ignore it from no on. I hope you stay on the boards. I am a Hero newbie and would like to get as much advice and help from fans on these boards on various topics that I can.

What apology?

The man's posts in this thread, all four, are just repeating the message 'I want to leave the board because some people are mean, rude, and just plain suck.' As one of the 'some people' he's ragging on, what the crap does he *expect* from me -- a good-bye hug and kiss?

:rolleyes:

Ignore the troll? This entire thread is a troll. That's what "Internet suicide notes" are.

I too am pulling off of these message boards. I have found far too many posters on these boards to be exceptionally rude and condescending toward anyone expressing a differing opinion. These boards are now becoming as bad as rpg.net. Our gm has been wanting to switch over to M&M for some time now. Only a handful of us have been resisting the switch, and I have now thrown my vote over to M&M. At least on the M&M boards the posters only attack non-M&M trolls, not each other.

I too am pulling off of these message boards. I have found far too many posters on these boards to be exceptionally rude and condescending toward anyone expressing a differing opinion. These boards are now becoming as bad as rpg.net. Our gm has been wanting to switch over to M&M for some time now. Only a handful of us have been resisting the switch' date=' and I have now thrown my vote over to M&M. At least on the M&M boards the posters only attack non-M&M trolls, not each other.[/quote']

Sorry but I have seen people on the M&M board say some rather unflattering things about the Hero system.

I too am pulling off of these message boards. I have found far too many posters on these boards to be exceptionally rude and condescending toward anyone expressing a differing opinion. These boards are now becoming as bad as rpg.net. Our gm has been wanting to switch over to M&M for some time now. Only a handful of us have been resisting the switch' date=' and I have now thrown my vote over to M&M. At least on the M&M boards the posters only attack non-M&M trolls, not each other.[/quote']

You're tossing out the greatest game system ever because you have issues with a few people on a discussion board? Sounds like you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. The only person who's going to lose is you. We won't, because someone else will discover HERO and come to the boards in your place. It's not the system or the boards that have a problem - it seems to be you, since you can't just turn away from a thread if you don't like what you're reading there.

Ignore the troll? This entire thread is a troll. That's what "Internet suicide notes" are.

There's one problem with that...sometimes they're also a sign that a board is getting too mean spirited as well. Taking the devil's advocate side, I could easily dismiss Nexus' post as a pity post and assume that he just needs to grow a thicker skin.

Note: I have not done that.

Here's why: On NGD and in several other threads, we can see that Ben is getting burned out by the harshness and visciousness on the boards. So this is not one person saying pity me, this is ANOTHER person saying "Well, this used to be fun, but too many people are jumping down my throat for no reason, so Hasta." I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but before we assume that any post is just for some typed up hugs, we might all want to take a step back and dial down the vitriol a bit.

We're here (In the vast majority) because we truly love this game. Some of us passionately, even as we can see the flaws it might have. Expressing those ideas, pro or con, is just sharing ideas and concepts and seriously not a reason to flame someone into next thursday. Comparitively these boards are "tame" to me as a I cut my teeth on the Warhammer NG where 2 page insults were the norm and an admired art form. But that's like saying "It's okay that I shot this guy in the foot, Bob shot that other guy in the head!"

So before you tell someone they are wrong, maybe we could all ask the central question behind the stances we all take. Why. What about a given issue or idea gets your dander up? Why do feel that STR is undervalued? Why do you think high point official characters are bad? Maybe move on to the next question, If they were in a solo book that really was more like CKC than a setting book, would that bother you as much?

To quote the prolific and very often wise Zornwill, "KTR - or as Sinatra said "try a little tenderness" - in posting - Kindness, Tolerance, and Respect"

"Internet suicide notes" such as this are generally exercise in stirring up pity and playing the victim. 'Because I got so owned in a debate, I'm taking my marbles and GOING HOME!' (insert offended eight-year-old tone of voice)

I've seen them before, repeatedly, on other venues. And I laugh at them, mockingly.

I don't care how much popularity I lose with this post -- my own opinion of nexus' nauseating self-pity party here is that any lingering respect I may still have had for him has just died.

Wow....simply..wow.

Proditor -- thank you for your well-reasoned reply.

I still don't quite agree, however. Nothing, repeat *nothing*, on that 'high power' thread justified this response -- people did not agree with him, true. And found faults with his reasoning, true. And just as stubbornly replied to his stubborn defenses, true.

However, IMO, if you can't handle *that* much, then the Internet is not a good place for you to be. There is a word for a place where you can post wherever you want and never have to face opposition to it, but "message board" is not that word.

If we'd been screaming abuse at him, he'd have a case. If we'd been insulting him repeatedly, we'd have a case. If we'd been deliberately refusing to address his points and always just harassing him the same old way, he'd have a case.

We didn't. And so, as far as I can see, he ain't got a case.

Hence, my conclusion that he was pulling the 'pity party' routine, and hence, my scornful response. 'Cause I *hate* the pity party routine.

Hey Nexus. The important thing to remember is that we were right and everybody else who disagreed with our posts was wrong or wrong to a degree depending on how proportionally they disagreed. Or something.

And don't get on ChuckG's bad side, he'll send a 10,000 pt. hero after you !

Excuse me? Owned? In an argument I wasn't having. More of a pissing contest to tell the truth about how to play a game. Whatever, man.

And if I gave a two squirts of warm urine what you thought that might actually mean something. I wanted some time to calm down, but screw that.

Oh dear. An jerk online thinks poorly. Whatever shall I do? Oh dear. The pain. The angst. Ya know, I think I'll hang around here just to screw with you.

You've come across like some frothing jerk to me for just disagreeing with you over a GAME. Its silly for me to get upset over some dork online. That is what Ignore lists are for anyway. Just like you're other "discussions" you're covering being an ass, BY BEING A BIGGER ASS. Real classy. Paints a great picture of the board.

Proditor -- thank you for your well-reasoned reply.

I still don't quite agree, however. Nothing, repeat *nothing*, on that 'high power' thread justified this response -- people did not agree with him, true. And found faults with his reasoning, true. And just as stubbornly replied to his stubborn defenses, true..

I've got nothing against defenses. Except I wasn't attacking. You just seem to be one of those people that can't take someone, anyone having the smallest disagreement with you. I request, several time, to just keep it civil. I was responded to with snide, dismissive contempt. I don't care if folks don't agree with me, but casually dismissing what I have to say and treating me like a fool for having different experiences from them. or that myself, and apparently everyone I played with had mental problems because they didn't dance to your tune? You were the one that went into bulldog mode because you need a pissing contest, not me. You're the one the refused to keep it civil or just agree we had different opinions. You couldn't do that. You had to be right. The big mistake I made was just dragging it out and not realizing it was like trying to reason with snotty child and just Ignoring you at that point. I let you get under my skin instead of blowing you off like a should. My mistake.

Hey Nexus. The important thing to remember is that we were right and everybody else who disagreed with our posts was wrong or wrong to a degree depending on how proportionally they disagreed. Or something.

And don't get on ChuckG's bad side, he'll send a 10,000 pt. hero after you !

I don't think anybody was wrong. Its like saying there were wrong answers to a question like "Do you like apple pie?" You can disagree about it, you can debate it but nobody is "wrong". If some people can't accept, I shouldn't let them bother me, but I do unfortunately.

> Excuse me? Owned? In an argument I wasn't having. More of a pissing

> contest to tell the truth about how to play a game.

"Ahhh, those grapes were sour anyway!"

Every post you make on this thread only further proves that your primary motive for starting this thread in the first place is your own wounded, petty, ego... and your love of playing the victim.

:retch:

> Whatever, man.

Whatever, indeed.

> And if I gave a two squirts of warm urine what you thought that might

> actually mean something.

You know, for something that supposedly didn't mean anything to you, you sure went out of your way to post back to it.

Be honest with us, nexus. You lost face and are really PO'ed about that, and now see a cheap way to try and get some back.

> I wanted some time to calm down, but screw that.

Whatever.

[snip]

> You've come across like some frothing jerk to me for just disagreeing with

> you over a GAME.

Whereas your own 30 or so posts in that thread weren't intended to disagree with anyone... /sarcasm/

There are people who I can believe the 'We shouldn't take this so seriously!' routine from.

Anybody who did his best to match me post-for-post in an argument is *not* one of those people.

Which means you, skippy.

> Its silly for me to get upset over some dork online.

And yet you did so anyway, and are still doing so...

> That is what Ignore lists are for anyway. Just like you're other "discussions"

> you're covering being an ass, BY BEING A BIGGER ASS.

*looks at nexus' post*

Are you talking about me or yourself?

> Real classy.

I do believe I was up front about being abrasive as hell in this thread, yup.

You, OTOH, are acting like a titanic ass /and/ simultaneously trying to claim the moral high ground. Spare me the fake job, already.