The Kandris Seal

Bloodshot

I bought the book, printed it out and am about half way through reading it in detail; I have done a cursory once over the whole thing.

I really like it. It is full of flavor, and I like the mechanics. I plan on using the chaos taint and how it affects thing as a model for the corrupting influence of evil in my upcoming FH game. It fit what I was going to do really close, and that way I don't have to do the work. :-)

Anyone interested in any kind of mystic flavor for thier campaign would be well served in buying this book.

Originally posted by Lxndr

I'm certainly curious, though I've yet to pick up the book itself.

How did you manage to wrangle publishing a HERO product? I'd love to be able to do that!

Well, I can only talk about what I know, and Lisa can correct me afterwards.

Lisa had originally written this book up as a product for Hero Plus under the old regime. When the company changed hands, her contract got misplaced / lost, but she talked to the folks at DOJ and they agreed to give her a license to publish it herself. She pays a royalty fee to DOJ for each copy sold (I get a royalty too for my contributions to the book and work on her web site).

If you have an idea, submit it to Hero Games. If they like it, they will probably make similar arrangements with you.

What I can tell you too is that Lisa worked a LONG time getting this thing done (4+ years) and I was convinced it would never see the light of day. I'm happy it's published, even happier that her sales are exceeding her expectations.

Lisa was the first to pubish a book under a license from the current Hero Games. I hope she isn't the last.

Originally posted by Lxndr

I'm certainly curious, though I've yet to pick up the book itself.

How did you manage to wrangle publishing a HERO product? I'd love to be able to do that!

It's easy. Come up with an idea, send in a proposal to DOJ, and they'll tell you what they think. :)

As Bloodshot said, I have been working on the book for a very long time. The original contract I had signed was with the owners of Hero Games before Cybergames entered the picture. To make a long story short, the contract was declared null and void. By this time, the book was completely written and had run through two editors and was ready to go but under 4th edition.

When DOJ announced they would be willing to enter licensing agreements, I lept at the opportunity. I prepared an proposal, sent in the table of contents and some sample text, and then waited for DOJ's answer. Obviously, it was yes. :)

If you are interested in doing the same thing - self-publishing under license - I would suggest that you start writing and getting your HERO System work published, either in Digital Hero or some other venue. DOJ is going to want to see that you can create quality product before they are willing to have their property associated with it. The more of your work they can see, the better they can evaluate what you're capable of. I submit to two Amateur Press Association magazines, and have had a two part article published in Digital Hero, so Steve and the guys had a pretty good idea of what was capable of.

You'll also have to be willing to make the effort to find you own editors, artists and so on, as it's your product, not DOJ's. [And as a completely self-serving notice, I do freelance editing. :)]

It's been a great experience, and it was a pleasure to work out the fine details of the license agreemet. It was *really* easy, and DOJ's terms and requirements are very reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

I think its cool that herogames and DOJ are willing to allow people to create books and license it through them like the Kandris Seal. I plan on purchasing the book in late March when I get more money and from what I read it sounds really interesting.

Now I have to go to work on a really good Space Opera setting for my own to publish. This will be fun. :D

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by Mastermind

So would you do a Modern/Pulp Era: Kandris Seal or a Fantasy Hero: Kandris Seal?

It is interesting that you said this, because I used Kandris Seal as part of a Pulp Hero campaign and think it would work very well for a Fantasy Hero campaign.

I bought Kandris Seal when it first appeared and think it is a pretty good product full of information and neat ideas. The only problem I had with it, and yes this is just my opinion, but it seemed more directed towards "Super" level heroes than towards "Heroic" level heroes. Of course, this is quickly and easily fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Mastermind

Some of my players expressed a desire to play in the Victorian Age...kinda Steam Punkish ala Wild, Wild West and LXG. Do you think Kandris Seal would work there?

I think it would make a great Victorian Age kinda game. It many ways it reminds me of Call of Cthulhu and the "things man was not meant to know."

Of course, you will probably have to adjust some power levels and the points of monsters/npc's ect, but that shouldn't be a problem.