Angel archetype character...ideas?

paul_runstedler

Depends on what sort of angel.

Are we talking the flame sword wielding warrior of God type,

the Guardian angel in human guise (ala "Touched by an Angel"/"Highway to Heaven"), the invisible guardian that watches over,

The freakin' Angel of death that whacks out first born when the pharoah is being especially stubborn?

Because if you're trying to incorporate them all, I'd go with a multiform.

Heck, a warrior face and a healer face might be a good mix. Have one very Righteous Fury sort, and another genteel and beautific.

Here are some random angel powers:

• Telepathy only for communication, radius around the character. You'd be hearing his voice in your head instead of all around you. Then you could take the mute disadvantage. Egoists need never listen to you ever, but the average guy would be impressed :-)
  • Voice of God: A sonic attack, TK, or shockwave type power for those angry moments when you need evrything to rattel within hearing distance
  • Bless/Curse type powers (Aid and Drain, bestowed at a touch)
  • Flight with wings that can be fouled, or instead you could go the T-port route, the way angels just seem to appear out of nowhere.
  • Aura (Change environment for simulating the way an area "feels" calm or "angry" with the mood of the angel

There are tons more. But I'm outta time.

You should also have some form of Universal Translator as angels are able to speak all the languages of man. You should also do some internet research on the subject. There's a vast mythology and folklore surrounding angels. There are several orders of angels which vary greatly in ability and function within God's kingdom.

There's a 4th Edition write up of an 'Angel hero' named Jacob on the Titans of Tommorrow site; Good fiction by his player as well.

I like Blue's ideas...

A variation on the curse might be a Major Transformation that can inflict or cure physical conditions such as Blindness, Lameness, etc.

Angels are often portrayed as glowing, or being to hard to look upon. Maybe a Sight (And Mystic sense) flash that does knockback would be a nice touch.

How about a flaming sword HKA, with a limited AP (The Advantage would only work on the infernal)

Change Envoriment to create a 'Holy Aura' or Sanctify might be good... it would set off some susceptabilites (Fry, Dracula, Fry) of some supernatural foes.

Either a Force Wall, or a Force Field usable by others at range... to protect your charges. "You shall not touch her."

I actually have an Angel PC in my hero group. Something that I thought added alot to the character was building her without any frameworks or power disadvangates other than foulable wings. She cost more, but never finds herself at a disadvantage.

It's a subtle thing, but it really adds to the other players perception of her as divinely graceful.

There's also a German game that's published in the US by white-wolf that's all about the angels.

Biblically, there's 9 orders of angels (Dominions, Thrones, Principalities, Angels, Arc-Angels, Cherubim, Seraphim, Virtues and Powers... In no particular order).

In non-biblical terms, there are 9 angels also. (First, Second, Third, Shortstop, Catcher, Pitcher, Right, Left, and Center). Gooooo Angels! Of course their powers include kicking Yankee @$$. Hope their powers hold up again this year.

Originally posted by winterhawk

Since I get a lot of ideas from 'edutainment' like the History Channel and Discovery, I thought I'd mention that there is a program called Angels: Good and Bad this coming Monday 9/8c of The History Channel.

Hey, cool! Thanks I'll make sure I catch it.

I ended up having the following abilities so far

7d6 eb Damage shield (only vs living creatures) (only against creatures intending immediate physical harm, i.e. grabs do not apply unless squeezing damage ensues)

2d6 flash attack linked to DS

2d6 aid to Pres AOARadius 2" (max 20 pts) only usable against pres attacks

Holy Might (Bonus to a bunch of stats (str, con, pres) for a limitted amount of time)

Sword of righteousness, +7d6 eb HTH attack (addes str damage as energy damage)

2d6 Pres drain linked to sword

Thinking about some change environments as well (maybe the ability to bless objects/water)

Hey, I just thought of something...

It's a commonly accepted rule of theology that divine beings, such as angels, are incapable of sinning, or tempting others to sin. You should write in some physical limitations to this effect.

Also, if you want to see a good movie with a lot of good stuff about angels, see "Dogma". Yeah, the action scenes are lame, but all the stuff about angels is right on with the folklore.

A bushel of Angels

There was a player some years ago that had an Angel type character. Probably the single coolest power she had was Extra Dimensional Movement- Heaven. Even better, she could take multiple people there, including the party's athiest. :)

Re: A bushel of Angels

Originally posted by Burnout

There was a player some years ago that had an Angel type character. Probably the single coolest power she had was Extra Dimensional Movement- Heaven. Even better, she could take multiple people there, including the party's athiest. :)

Okay, now that is funny. :)

"I don't believe in Atheism."-Hawkeye Pierce

I drew up an angelic wings-and-sword type character for a friend a couple years ago. He was sort of a flying brick with a Hand Attack sword. He had high defenses and full Life Support, including Longevity.

The New Testament talks about people "entertaining angels unawares." Although biblical angels acting as messengers sometimes shone like searchlights and terrified humans by their mere presence, their appearances were often much more subtle. The trio of angels who warned Abraham about the destruction of Sodom looked like ordinary dusty travelers. It wasn't until they started talking about his yet-to-be-born son and the city's fate that Abraham began to catch on to who he was dealing with. When the angels entered the city to warn Abraham's nephew Lot, members of the gay community foolishly tried to pick them up (they were apparently handsome specimens). Gideon, a Hebrew farmer hiding from enemy troops, wondered who the nut case was that showed up at his hideout and pronounced him a mighty military leader. When he offered the fellow lunch, the angel ignited the food as an offering to the Lord. Gideon decided maybe there was something to his words, after all. ;)

With this in mind, you might give your angel ShapeShifting into any human form for passing as mortal, or Invisibility for moving through crowds unseen.

Originally posted by Supreme

They tend to be different, often reversed, though I have heard versions of the folklore that say that demons still cannot lie.

In Nomine has a cool take on that idea. Only one type of angel cannot lie (Seraphim, Most Holy, Angels of Divine Truth) however when the Fall they become Balseraphs (Most Unholy, Demons of lies) who don't 'lie' they just change their entire perception of reality until what they are saying is their subjective truth. Their not lying, their telling the truth as they see it (and in essence become the greatest of liars, those who can lie to themselves).

As for 'Angel powers' if you go with the 'biblical' description of some angels then to look upon their faces causes such rapture that people die.

Ego Attack (Does Body) or BOECV Killing Attack with 'Victim must look at Angel'.

If your really nasty: NND Does Body, BOECV (defence is Blindness or not looking at Angel).

Of course such angels hid their visages behind their wings (They had 3 sets, one for flying, one for face covering, and one to cover their 'ankles' (which most biblical scholars now agree was a mistranslation by 'right thinking' people of 'privates') so making it 'Always on' might be appropriate.

Originally posted by Supreme

Hey, I just thought of something...

It's a commonly accepted rule of theology that divine beings, such as angels, are incapable of sinning, or tempting others to sin. You should write in some physical limitations to this effect.

Also, if you want to see a good movie with a lot of good stuff about angels, see "Dogma". Yeah, the action scenes are lame, but all the stuff about angels is right on with the folklore.

Huh?

I have never read that in the bible.

Infact in the book of Job you see the opposite (Satan is the only "bad guy" who definitly was an angel. There is nothing that spells out whether the demons are angels.)

I think a whopping great PRE is needed personally.

Re: A bushel of Angels

Originally posted by Burnout

I wonder if that power should work on a PC who did not have a soul.

Re: Re: A bushel of Angels

Originally posted by BNakagawa

I wonder if that power should work on a PC who did not have a soul.

yeah. the courts of someone whose meant to be all powerful should be able to do that.

Besides does the character not have a spirit?

Spirit and soul are different.

Originally posted by Rage

Huh?

I have never read that in the bible.

Infact in the book of Job you see the opposite (Satan is the only "bad guy" who definitly was an angel. There is nothing that spells out whether the demons are angels.)

I think a whopping great PRE is needed personally.

That's because it isn't there. It's in the volumes and volumes of essays and discourses written by people examining the bible. A lot of these things are decided in the various councils of the pre-schism Catholic Church. That's where they decide things like that.

"Do Christians have to be Jews?"

"What is the nature of divinity?"

"Was Jesus present at the creation of the universe?"

"Was Jesus half-God and half-human, or was he all one or the other?"

And if I remember correctly, the angel was not mentioned as "Satan" by name in the book of Job. Many sects have an official interpretation that it was Satan, and may have printed devotional translations that reflect that interpretation. But, the book itself does not give the angel a name.