Sorcerous Family/Association on City of Heroes

Dynamo

I posted over in the Company Questions forum a plan to begin a community within City of Heroes based on the Vandaleur family. Steve and Darren were agreeable, but I found an unpleasant clause in the game's EULA that made the idea untenable. See this thread for details.

I still think it's a good idea, forming a meta-group of magical associates based loosely on the Vandaleur family, but we can't use the actual Vandaleur name. It's been suggested that we use a similar name, but we could simply come up with anything that sounds good, is short enough for easily fit in 15 letters with a first name, and suggests a magical heritage.

Gathering input here. Brainstorming time!

Re: Sorcerous Family/Association on City of Heroes

I'll probably keep it on Triumph, since I already have an earth elemental on that server, in addition to whatever sorceror I create.

I'm leaning heavily toward LeFey. I'm also considering widening the scope of the community to a Hermean Council sort of concept, but we can start with the LeFeys. We have until someone reaches 10th level to choose a theme for the Super Group.

Guest WhammeWhamme

I'll probably keep it on Triumph, since I already have an earth elemental on that server, in addition to whatever sorceror I create.

I'm leaning heavily toward LeFey. I'm also considering widening the scope of the community to a Hermean Council sort of concept, but we can start with the LeFeys. We have until someone reaches 10th level to choose a theme for the Super Group.

I rather like 'Leafy' as a variant spelling; it's niftily subtle.

I rather like 'Leafy' as a variant spelling; it's niftily subtle.
Thing is, I'm not going for subtle. I want people to look at a Team of LeFeys and start worrying. :sneaky:

Though Leafy LeFey would make a cute name for a tree-themed magic tank, brown-skinned with green hair.

Alright, let's go with LeFey on the Triumph server. Interested parties post here and/or send an in-game email to Ariel LeFey. I will Friend list any LeFeys I hear from or run across. We should keep a running roster in this thread, or start a new thread called LeFey CoH.

I'm not about to tell anyone how to make their characters, but magic origin is sort of the point, along with the LeFey surname unless you're making a magical ally to the family, such as an elemental, construct, or what have you. I also think it would be cool to make the costumes look like street clothes, but I know there are only so many different combinations of that nature possible in the costume designer.

I'm running Ariel through the tutorial now. So hopefully I'll see some fo you soon.

Done. Baron LeFay is in Triumph. Levelled im to 5th tonight, will work to get him to tenth by Thursday, not much time off.

Magic Tanker with Fire Melee and Defense powers.

Baron is the eldest of the London Clan LeFay; he's 200 years old and came to Paragon city after the invasion to lend a hand. He is currently battling the Hellions in Galaxy City. Will be looking forward to facing off with the Tsoo and Circle of Thorns.

Done. Baron LeFay is in Triumph. Levelled im to 5th tonight, will work to get him to tenth by Thursday, not much time off.

Magic Tanker with Fire Melee and Defense powers.

Baron is the eldest of the London Clan LeFay; he's 200 years old and came to Paragon city after the invasion to lend a hand. He is currently battling the Hellions in Galaxy City. Will be looking forward to facing off with the Tsoo and Circle of Thorns.

Variant spelling, but we'll write that off as a British thing. :) I'll Friend list you when I log in next. Look for Ariel LeFey (ice/storm controller), and Ash LeFey (invlunerable/strength tank, dryad & ogre bloodlines).

I dunno, LeFey just lacks "oomph" for me.

Some real life families of magicians in recent times have included:

Bamberg

Blackstone (Harry Sr. and Jr.)

Herrmann (Alexander, Adelaide, Leon)

Maskelyne (John Neville, Jasper)

Weiss (Houdini, brother Theo)

I've used Maskelyne quite a bit. One of my old PCs in D&D was named Jasper Maskelyne, and the Sorceror Supreme equivalent in my version of the Champions Universe, Lord Arcane, is tied into the real world Maskelynes in the form of a reclusive relative.

You might also be able to do something with:

Dee: John Dee was associated w/ Elizebeth I and wrote some stuff on Kabbalistic Alchemy; he also supposedly created/relayed Enochian. Dee is from the Welsh "Du", which means Black. An interesting twist on that might be DeBlack. Anyway, Dee was a larger-than-life character and he had 8 children, at least one of which followed in the same footsteps. In a fictional version the Dee name could definitely carry a magical origin supergroup. However "Dee" doesnt sound very "cool", so you might consider that the character Prospero from Shakespeare's "The Tempest" was generally considered to be very influenced by the concept of Dee, who was a contemporary of Shake's. Prospero has good ring to it as a last name, and could work.

As far as made up names some possible contenders might be:

Prognosi: Based on the root for Prognostication. Could work for a family of mystics.

Remulovs: a twist on "Romanov", using Remus rather than Romulus as the base. A family believes that it is descended from Remus and that have dedicated themselves historically to countering and opposing Rome, though clandestinely. They allied themselves with Goths, Visigoths, Carthaginians, Magyars, and Huns as the centuires turned. Finally Rome fell, but it spawned successor states; particularly the Germanic Holy Roman Empire. Eventually the days of Empire dwindled, but many of the Remulovs turned their attentions to resisting all conquerors and would-be world dominators. This has translated into the equivalent of being superheroes struggling against various Archvillains and even to conquering forces from beyond this world.

As much as I ordinarily hate dumbing down anything, I think we need a name that a casual observer without specialized historical knowledge will associate with a magical background. Using the Vandaleur name would have been a very cool Champions Universe bit, worth the cost of losing the easy association with magic for the uninitiated. Since Vandaleur is not an option, we're back to accessibility as the primary concern.

Another advantage of LeFey is that it's short. Character names can only be 15 letters, counting spaces, so longer surnames leave less room for creativity on the player's part.

Now, if enough people want to make associated characters with different surnames, there's no reason we can't broaden the scope of the Super Group to a Hermean Council or something similar.

But we only want the smart players ;)

Just kidding. I might make a character on Triumph along these lines. Depends on who else is involved, really. If enough people are playing in the group at time periods convenient to my schedule then count me in.

If I do participate Ill be using something other than "LeFey", but Ill otherwise go along with the Hermetic Council concept.

As an in joke I might even dig up some of my old Ars Magica characters and use their names ;)

Okay ... I made two characters ... they're both under 5 atm

1) Pendragon X: Gerrard Pendragon ... the cousing to the LeFey clan ;)

2) Anton Crowley: Dark Magician

Welcome aboard.

I still encourage people to make plenty of LeFey characters. I want everyone else on Triumph to wonder what's going on. :sneaky: