Ultimate Update!

Enforcer84

Okay, since Champions and CKC have come out in 2002 we've had CU, Millennium City, UMA, HUV, G&G, USPD, Mystic World, Arcane Adversaries, DEMON, UB, U:DOF, V:COS, DC:HOV, and will soon be graced with Vibora bay and the Ultimate Mystic (and then Mentalist)

Given the plethora of new information...pluse a few sample characters and updates...

How do you think our friends and foes have changed in the last two years?

Let's Start with the easy stuff:

The Champions: (How much XP does one earn in 2 years?)

Defender now can look to Gadgets and Gear

Ironclad can look to The Ultimate Brick and the USPD

Witchcraft can look to the Mystic World and later The Ultimate Mystic

Sapphire and Kinetic have the USPD

And Nighthawk? He's only got the full might of Ultimate Martial Artist, Gadgets and Gear, Ultimate Vehicle, and Dark Champions: Heroes of Vengance for inspiration.

Ogre and Grond both got "powered up" from the Ultimate Brick how about others?

Tachyon?

Durak?

Bulldozer?

it seems so mean to have them be "simply" strong and tough, even ripper has "brick Tricks".

I love the add ons, but I wonder how I should improve the characters...

What do you think?

Re: Ultimate Update!

I would progress the Champions at about 25 experience per year. So by the time a 2006 book came out they would be in the 450 point range; Nighthawk being slightly higher as it seems he does more non-group adventuring. I would also see Kinetik officially joining the team as well as one of the younger heroes like Sai or Hydro. Of course I wouldn't want to waste books space in a Champions Universe update just reprinting the Champions. Something like that might make a good ebook for those who are interested and is not too difficult to write and doesn't take much editing.

Mechanon would have had an update by then. He has probably had 2-3 bodies destroyed in the last 4 years and has made improvements which make him as powerful as many of the other master villains. I think it would also be interesting to see two different Mechanons. One of them became unstable and instead of self-destructing turns to a slightly different path. The Mechanon Wars could make for an interesting adventure as well.

I really don't see Bulldozer learning brick tricks. He strikes me as someone who does not spend too much time practicing. He would be a good candidate for some Street Brawling martial arts though.

I think everyone in the War Machine needs an update with a couple of more members joining: Wargame - a cyberkinetik, and Warhorse - brick. I also think Warlord needs a larger role in the Champions Universe because as of right now I really don't know how he fits in between VIPER and ARGENT in the weapons business.

Eurostar needs to pick up a new member. Someone unusual like a new Beowulf who is a twisted version of the original heroic version. If not Beowulf then someone Scandinavian. Just someone a little different than the current membership. It's possible that Pantera could also show up. A Spanish version perhaps.

The Ultimates could use a female member to shake things up. Either a new villain or possibly Howler, Shrinker, or Riptide joining up with them. It could even be someone more powerful than the rest of the group who becomes a queen bee and sets up some group rivalries.

In the campaign I am writing right now I have a villain called El Lobo Negro who captured Cuba from Castro shortly after he took power in 1959. In the Champions Universe I think it would be interesting to see Holocaust take over Cuba and set it up as a type of "sanctuary" for super-powered villains. From that Holocaust feels like he's ruling something and starts to build his power-base for a villain army. Something like this could move Holocaust to new Master Villain status without requiring any power-total changes.

I think Gargantua and Shrinker would make an interesting couple. :)

That's all I can think of right now.

Okay, using my group as an example on XP:

2.5 XP a session x 52 weeks (One game every other week) = 128...let's round that down to 125 because I like round numbers

So I think 125 would be a good level of XP for 2 years

This is atually a kind of interesting look at a few POVs. Looked at as adventurers living in a world where they're constantly on call, the Champions should be earning XP as they face new and progressively more difficult challenges. Looked at as a group of player characters, they'll earn as much as PCs do in a campaign that covers a two year span of time. Looked at as fictional characters, they'll earn as many XP as the story requires.

I've always wanted a chance for one of my characters to make fun of Gargantua for picking a girly name. ;)

Not all names ending in an "a" are feminine. The original Gargantua was the title character in a satirical romance of the same name by Rabelais, a giant prince and definitely male. The name was also applied to a famous captive gorilla in the early 20th century, also a male.

Someone as well-read as the supervillain Gargantua would probably know the precedents for his name, and would doubtless scornfully rebut your character's mockery. ;)

Not all names ending in an "a" are feminine. The original Gargantua was the title character in a satirical romance of the same name by Rabelais, a giant prince and definitely male. The name was also applied to a famous captive gorilla in the early 20th century, also a male.

Someone as well-read as the supervillain Gargantua would probably know the precedents for his name, and would doubtless scornfully rebut your character's mockery. ;)

Well that would certainly make my character feel small. ;)

I always liked Tachyon, and I've modified him a bit in my campaign with a buch of Teleport and Time tricks. A brick is scary; a teleporting brick is scarier; a Teleporting brick with Overall Levels to represent his ability to slow time is a nightmare. Add in Stretching that does not cross through intervening space, Cutting Portals, Teleport useable as an attack ...

Another 100 points makes Tachyon into a major league player.

I always liked Tachyon, and I've modified him a bit in my campaign with a buch of Teleport and Time tricks. A brick is scary; a teleporting brick is scarier; a Teleporting brick with Overall Levels to represent his ability to slow time is a nightmare. Add in Stretching that does not cross through intervening space, Cutting Portals, Teleport useable as an attack ...

Another 100 points makes Tachyon into a major league player.

that's what I am looking for!

The only thing I'm definate about is giving Durak Megascale on his punch knockback. I loved that picture!

I think I'll give Bulldozer "He can take a punch" at the 50% DR level. Just to make him more smash smash smashy! Players can beat on him twice as long because he never learns!

Add 200 points to his sheet:

50% PD, ED, and Mental Damage Reduction.

+20 Power Defense

+10 Mental Defense

+40 Str, 3 x End cost

+30 CON.

Remember to let him take his new and improved post action phase 12 recoveries.

Now you have a Bulldozer who is a real pain to put down, and can break free of almost any Entangle. Your players will hate him forever.

Guest WhammeWhamme

So, the Champions should get only 25 experience points or so, but Bulldozer should get 200.

:rolleyes:

I'm speechless.

Well, the Champions don't have to fight every hero group in every single variant of the CU run by a GM who wants his players to have the chance to smackdown on Bulldozer.

Durak is a great candidate for a long list of Brick Tricks, given his position on what is meant to be one of the CU's top Villain teams. Megascale KB, double KB, shockwave clap, an RKA defined as throwing things, or a reallyreally big magic club salvaged from one of Eurostar's missions would all be appropriate.

Ultimate Foxbat just has to be done.

Ultimate PSI wold be interesing, giving all of them small PSI-Tricks VPPs and Gadget Pools, and building the vast army of brainwashed agents, contacts, and young Psionic kids that they could control. Menton would have taken them over by then I'd say; I expect he's only letting them run loose now because they're too small-fry to fit into his plans. Ultimate Menton is of course already in complete control of the US government and most of Europe; he's using patriotic Supers to take out rivals and keep the peace.