Who was the LAMEST?

phydaux

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Who was the LAMEST?

Okay, does anyone but me remember the no-name superhero in the plain white costume from Marvel's:

"Generic Comic Book; Type: Super-Hero" from a number of years back?

I do! I don't know if I still have it around, but I do remember.

He made an Ego Defense gadget out of a Walkman, I think.

KA.

I do! I don't know if I still have it around, but I do remember.

He made an Ego Defense gadget out of a Walkman, I think.

KA.

Oh my god, I remember that! He had to take on a villain with a hypnotizer helmet that preyed on people's self-confidence, and so he crammed walkman headphones into an old football helmet and played a continous loop tape of self-affirmations ("You're a superhero, you can beat this guy, he's not as tough as he looks.").

I think the villain actually had a massive PRE Attack built as a focus, and he bought PRE Defense, since the power wasn't actually psionic in anyway.

Generic Super-Hero was not lame. He was awesome. He got his powers from overexposure to glow-in-the-dark tchotkes. That's way cool.

Well' date=' like I already said, Punisher is an [b']anti-hero[/b], not a hero. He's tragic.

I don't really get how anyone can consider a mass-murdering genocidal maniac "heroic" in the slightest. Sure, he had a traumatic childhood (something I feel was tacked on to make him seem more sympathetic), but he learned the wrong lesson.

Magneto's not genocidal. He's quite happy to allow baseline humans to live provided they accept the mutants as their rulers. And I believe the number of kills the Punisher has racked up also qualify him to be considered a mass murderer.

I know he talks a good game' date=' about how he's doing all this to "protect mutants from their enemies", but the truth is that he's a [b']liar[/b], he's manipulative and decietful and he'll say anything to cloud the issues. I don't think he honestly gives a rat's ass about the fate of mutants in general, it's all just talk masking his real desire: power, power, and more power.

This depends on how he's written - at his best, Magneto is a tragic character who's doing the wrong thing for all the right reasons. He did turn himself over to the World Court (X-Men #200) to plead his case - has Frank voluntarily gone before a jury of his peers?

He never had his own mag (mercifully) but I just can't not nominate this guy...

Herbie the Robot who replaced the Torch in the FF cartoon in the late seventies. Rom nothin'! That lil' twerp was the frickin' epitome of robot dorkiness! But apparently S. the Man thought he was so cute, they just -had- to introduce him in the comic for a bit, too! Ugh!

Okay, does anyone but me remember the no-name superhero in the plain white costume from Marvel's:

"Generic Comic Book; Type: Super-Hero" from a number of years back?

Sure, I remember him. He even rated a mention on the Appendix to the Marvel Universe site, see?

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/generic.htm

Has anybody mentioned Destructor from Atlas Comics? Now' date=' he was truly the Lamest Superhero I have come across.[/quote']

You must not have come across Tiger-man. I've actually got a copy of issue #2 in my bedroom. I use it to cure my insomnia. Works even better than 'Return of the Native' by Thomas Hardy. Heck, the whole Atlas comic line was pretty much pure dreck. It's sad to think just how many talented writers and artists they actually had there. Oh, and they had Stan Lee's brother Larry Leiber, too.

On a side note, Devil Slayer from the Defenders comics was originally a character known as Demon Hunter. His writer/co-creator (with Rich Buckler), David Anthony Craft apparently decided recycling was good for the environment or something. Go figure.

The Lamest character to get his own title? wow theres just so many of them, oddly enough most coming from Marvels stable. There was Speed Ball, Nth Man the ultimate ninja, Night thrasher, the Hulk form the '70's "HULK SMASH GRRRR"....yawn ...snore ...ZZZZZZ and Nite Cat ( i think) She was spectacularly awful, it was a hybrid between a real life pop star and a comic book heroine. The was even a photo of the girl inside done up in her 'Superhero' outfit (Read, big 80's hair, bandanna and Leather corset affair) If i had to vote, i'd vote for her, all the while i owned that book i couldn't help thinking "Why? oh my god Why Stan?, Why would you put your name to this"

I cant think of any one D.C. Character that sticks out right now, but thats mainly because the D.C. titles i read are written by Geoff Johns, and therefore excellent.

Image/Wildstorm, Well In My Opinion, the only character that came out of that whole ego trip for artists was the Grifter, everyone else, Poo.

I cant think of any one D.C. Character that sticks out right now' date=' but thats mainly because the D.C. titles i read are written by Geoff Johns, and therefore excellent.[/quote']

hmmm...

How about Brother Power the Geek?

That even beats Prez, mentioned previously by someone else, IMO - though not by a lot, admittedly

hmmm...

How about Brother Power the Geek?

That even beats Prez, mentioned previously by someone else, IMO - though not by a lot, admittedly

Is this the same Prez described in the World's End volume of Sandman? The one from the world run by Boss Smiley?

Except those weren't his earliest appearances' date=' that was from much later appearances where the character was being handled by a BAD WRITER. Specifically, you're referring to [b']Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #82[/b], wherein the Punisher opens fire on someone for littering (and he fired warning shots, not kill shots). That story was written by Bill Mantlo (Who? Yeah, that's right, nobody important), it was the Punishers nineteenth appearance, and it can only be described as "totally out of character". Punisher had appeared in Daredevil shortly before that, and DD had called Punishers bluff when Castle had him in his gunsights, saying "I know you, you've never killed an innocent man, you won't kill me." Why did he say that? Because the Punisher only kills violent, repeat offenders.

I think Mantlo didn't like how popular Castle was becoming, and wanted to push him from anti-hero to outright villain. I also think, ultimately, it's highly unfair to trash Punisher on account of four bad pages written by an entirely forgetable writer who couldn't be bothered to do his homework and find out who he was writing about.

I'm no expert on Punisher, but didn't that happen while he was (temporarily) under the influence of a drug administered by an enemy of his specifically to get Frank nailed by the cops?

After more than a decade' date=' I still have no freaking clue what Cable's powers actually are. Near as I can tell, he has the mutant power to grimace and look bad-ass.[/quote']

Rather OT here, but talking about 'lame', does anyone here remember the Captain American story that has guest-shots by Doctor Druid, Wolverine, Cable, Wolfsbane, Man-Wolf, and Werewolf/Jack Russell? The one where Cap gets turned into a 'Capwolf'? (Hey, I thought it was a good look for him -- it wasn't any dumber than anything /else/ in that particular plot!)

Captain Planet - the underlying theme: humanity sucks and must be saved from itself by the mega-mack-daddy-of-eco-goodness. Yeah' date=' people want to be preached to...[/quote']

Neer read the comic, but I saw the cartoon once or twice. Uuugggh!

HANSI:THE GIRL WHO LOVED THE SWASTIKA - gestapo candystriper. It has a moral (she's a christian who becomes a nazi who becomes a christian again)' date=' but dear God - maybe a better role-model would be a character who didn't become a nazi and stuck to their values in the first place. And no - I'm not joking - it was a real title.[/quote']

I admit, I read it, but only because a rather religious relative bought it for me. Very nice lady, truly, but dear lord I wish 'Christian comics' could move past the moron-level plot of 'so-and-so starts out a total b****rd -- and then they're SAVED! And they become so nicey-nicey they make Ned Flanders look like Venom!"

Hey, have you heard this one? It's a nasty, and unfortunately very accurate joke about 'Christian entertainment'.

"How do you know if it's a 'Christian' comic/novel/movie/computer game/whatever?"

Answer -- "It sucks rocks!"

Oh, and BTW, Von D-Man, I remember seeing something once about Jewish superheroes with names like Dredeil Medeil. Supposed to be a primer on Jewish theology and history. You ever see it?

Lamest...

Ohh thats easy: Anyone remember.... SPEEDBALL?

In college, a comic-collecting friend of mine picked up all 10 issues of this. He seemed to take a perverse pride in observing that even in the swelling comics price bubble of the early 90s, this comic's price went *down* according to Overstreet.

And while someone should've told Ditko he couldn't bring back the 60s anymore, and the character design was loopy even for Ditko, the power itself was kind of interesting. I've tried to model super-bouncing in Champs with mixed degrees of success.

I'm no expert on Punisher' date=' but didn't that happen while he was (temporarily) under the influence of a drug administered by an enemy of his specifically to get Frank nailed by the cops?[/quote']

If so, it's not mentioned in that story arc. In the story, Frank is just slipping further and further into madness. It ends with Frank going to a mental instution after being found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Lamest...

Ohh thats easy: Anyone remember.... SPEEDBALL?

U R TEH LAMEST!!!

Speedball is AWESOME. AWESOME I tell you. Way more awesome than YOU!!!

I have every issue of that series, and I only collected New Warriors because of Speedball (got the full run too). Speedball has one of the neatest powers ever, and even if his backstory and secret ID are a bit cliche, he was still a really fun character.

The best though is when the other Warriors pick on him, like when Marvel Boy seals him up ina tk bubble and shakes him until he's so hyperkinetic that he explodes out of the bubble like a super shotgun blast. Or when he and Darkhawk (who is lame) team up and get side-tracked ina conversation about how their powers make their voices "all cool and stuff"

Also one of the few powers that is almost impossible to model properly in Champions, and so that gives him Mega Bonus Points.

(BTW, just kidding, you aren't lame.)