Mystic "The's"

Battlestaff

I was watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a friend the other day, and while we were watching, it suddenly struck me that while Buffy is "The" Slayer, what other mystic "The's" might there be? We got to discussing the idea, and came up with a few. I wanted to throw them out, see what Herodom might think, and see if there were any other suggestions out there.

While there might be other people who perform similar jobs, as holders of these titles, they are endowed with certain powers to assist them in the performance of their duties.

"The Slayer" - Her purpose is solely to kill evil beings that threaten to harm others. For this job, she is endowed with enhanced strength, speed, and stamina.

"The Warder" - His purpose is to protect humans from mystic threats that are not necessarily creatures. For example, while The Slayer might kill the evil cultists threatening a human sacrifice, it would be the job of The Warder to come in and make sure that all the mystic artifacts are properly disposed of, any gate that was opened is closed, and any magic residue is grounded and dispelled. For this job, he is endowed with the knowledge of how to ground magic, detect and close gates, and the ability to destroy evil artifacts.

"The Seer" - Her purpose is to predict future threats, and alert either The Slayer or The Warder, or both. She is mainly a non-combatant. To be chosen, she would have to already have some minor precog abilities. For this job, she is endowed with enhanced foresight, allowing her clearer visions and the ability to understand what she is seeing, the ability to view alternate timelines, and maybe a little retrocognition.

"The Geomancer" - He listens to the whispers of the Earth (yes, this idea comes from the Valiant Comics character). His job is to help prevent and heal the wounds magic inflicts on the Earth and its biosphere, either alone or in conjunction with The Warder. For this job, he is endowed with the ability to hear the whispers of the Earth, to read the past and future in certain objects, and control mystic abilities to heal any damage to the biosphere.

"The Archivist" - His job is to record and remember all mystic events. He has the ability to appear at any significant mystical event, though only highly skilled mystics can detect his presence. He does not speak or interfere, but rather just observes. However, his presence is a sure indicator of the significance of an event. For this job, he is endowed with the ability to travel anywhere, to know when significant events are about to occur, though he will rarely, if ever, pre-warn someone of an event, and to remember everything that does occur.

"The Healer" - Her job is to heal the damage done to people by the various mystic threats handled by they others. Whereas The Geomancer heals the Earth, The Healer heals the people actually affected by mystic activity, both physically and (often more importantly) psychologically. For this job, she is endowed with empathic abilities, and the ability to heal physical damage, including transformations (into vampires, etc.) that have not completely transformed the victim.

Suggestions, comments, critiques?

Oh, we also came up with the name "The Fool," but we couldn't find a purpose or power for the name. Any suggestions?

Re: Mystic "The's"

It always struck me as odd that "The Slayer" was always woefully underpowered to deal with monster threats. Before Buffy, "The Slayer" was always one young teenaged girl with the power of one demon.

Granted when she is killed (and she always was up to Buffy) another would be selected to be "The Slayer" and if by some miracle she surrived to her 18th birthday, she was drugged (so her super strength and general training wouldn't help her) and fed to a vampire. To keep "The Slayer" nubile and attractive.

This, to me, wasn't designed to save the world, it was a misogynic effort to feed super empowered women (one at a time) to the underworld creatures to keep them appeased. :eek:

However, that being said. I like the idea of the world's embodyment of a single aspect personified. I'm just not sure I would use the Buffyverse to put it in.

Well, funny you should ask.

In a Witchcraft game that I'm in, a few of the characters have kinda become "The's" in an almost Unknown Armies kinda way. Like they epitomize that title.

My character is an illusionist, stage magician who has seen beyond the veil and sees real magic. Been to other dimensions. He questions everything and seeks the truth... so, he has been refered to as "The Seeker".

Another character, who is being recruited by modern Templars, is an ex-ranger who went through mystical as well as mundane hell in Somalia, has become fiercely protective of his friends. Once, "The Warrior", He is now, obviously, "The Protector".

Another character, who is an architect, can channel power and sees Ley lines in cities' architecture. Could call him "the Conduit" or "The Architect"... either would work, but hte character has ascended up and is sorta fixed NPC now, so we don't call him anything, yet.

Then there is the old man of the group. An surviving Kamikaze pilot, can speak and banish spirits of the dead, He could be called "The Wisdom".

Lastly, there is the doctor cum martial artist in touch with the celtic goddes Bridgit who's whole life is about balancing East and WEst philosophy. "The Balance"? perhaps?

If you want to check this campaign out, the GM has just put up an amazing website of our monthly adventures of the last 2 years. A bit of artwork. Lots of cool links, useful for ANY modern campaign and especially useful to horror campaigns.

Stornbob sez: check it out>

http://www.wwnet.net/~alcatia/fouraces/index.html

THE GATEKEEPER keeping the gate to teh dark duimensions closed

THE GUARDIAN keeping the artifact/bloodline/mystical site from dark forces

THE WATCHER observing the struggles beteween dark and light never to interfere

THE CREATOR benificent diety or meddling mortal manufacturer

THE LOST cast from there true place searching fro a way home

THE SILENT/EMPTY/DARK/SHINING/WHATEVER ONES just plain scary

THE LAST SION you have seen dogma right. mystically empowered last genration of ancient powerful bloodline.

THE GATEKEEPER keeping the gate to teh dark duimensions closed.
Hey, if you're going to have this, you've got to have THE KEYMASTER. We should get these two crazy kids together. :eg:

THE WATCHER observing the struggles beteween dark and light never to interfere.
Awwww, you guys never let me have any fun. :(

Oh' date=' we also came up with the name "The Fool," but we couldn't find a purpose or power for the name. Any suggestions?[/quote']

The Fool could be tasked with toppling powerful figures who let their pride get out of control. His powers could be limited mind control abilities that make the target agreeable to more and more outlandish ideas by making them think they were their own ideas. Of course, since they're go great, it must be a good idea. Eventually they have an Emperor's New Clothes situation to get their ego back in check.

Surprised I haven't seen "the Chosen one" come up yet. It's about as generic a title as you can get for a mystical being of singular ability.

In an unused campaign, I have "The Accused", a person who broke the pact that prevented overt use of magic in our realm. I also have there "The Uninvited", but I guess that doesn't really count because it's actually a class of being that cross over to this realm without use of invocation on this side.

THE DISRUPTOR -- The character whose main power seems to be disrupting other people's plans and efforts. One comic had Professor Ivo suggesting that Batman "must have some kind of a super-thwarting power or something", for example. Reed Richards is also a member of this club.

Of course, I'm slightly prejudiced since that's the name and concept behind my current character, and yes he insists that people use the definitive article :rolleyes:

However' date=' that being said. I like the idea of the world's embodyment of a single aspect personified. I'm just not sure I would use the Buffyverse to put it in.[/quote']

Actually, I was going to put them in my own universe. It's just that Buffy was the catalyst for coming up with characters of this type.

The Fool could be tasked with toppling powerful figures who let their pride get out of control. His powers could be limited mind control abilities that make the target agreeable to more and more outlandish ideas by making them think they were their own ideas. Of course' date=' since they're go great, it must be a good idea. Eventually they have an Emperor's New Clothes situation to get their ego back in check.[/quote']

I like this. I'm going to have to swipe it for the campaign!!

It always struck me as odd that "The Slayer" was always woefully underpowered to deal with monster threats. Before Buffy, "The Slayer" was always one young teenaged girl with the power of one demon.

Granted when she is killed (and she always was up to Buffy) another would be selected to be "The Slayer" and if by some miracle she surrived to her 18th birthday, she was drugged (so her super strength and general training wouldn't help her) and fed to a vampire. To keep "The Slayer" nubile and attractive.

This, to me, wasn't designed to save the world, it was a misogynic effort to feed super empowered women (one at a time) to the underworld creatures to keep them appeased. :eek:

I think Joss felt the same. In the last episode, our heroes break the old male rule and replace it with a system that empowers all potential slayers...