Seeds of Change PBEM

nexus

Re: Seeds of Change PBEM

I'd love to submit a character and have a go at this PBEM thing' date=' except I have no idea how to build a competant character on any more than about 400 points. Good luck in this endeavor, it's a nice setting.[/quote']

Thanks, and beleive me, I understand completely. I have a great deal of trouble coming up with characters much more than 400-500 points myself. Even with experience that's about the level I start thinking about retiring PCs. This campaign/setting is an experiement of a sort. I want to push my limits and see if I can move beyond some preconceived notions about high powered play and (at least pseudo) Iron Age settings.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, build them on 400 and ask for help upscaling them.

Seriously. Why not?

I don't even know where to begin for a 400-point brick. I have an idea for a power set which might match the potential angst quotient for this setting, but no character to sit inside the costume. Maybe flesh it out more tonight.

Is there any movement towards a decision? I'd be happy to submit a totally different character if Hurricane doesn't work for you--my ego isn't invested in seeing that specific enter into gameplay...

Waiting on a few folks to get their submissions in then I'll have to look over them and pick. Sorry about the delay.

Just out of curiosity' date=' Nexus, are you running this on a lurkerable list and/or is there an accompanying site? I don't really have time to join another PBEM but I wouldn't mind taking a gander at what's goin' on in yours.[/quote']

Sure, I can put you on the Lurker list if you like. I warn you though that with some of the players I have there is bound to be some pretty adult stuff.

If the GM running seeds of change PBEM is done with the selection process (and I suspect she is) I wouldn't hold my breath.

There is a chance that some that have been accepted will later drop out. You could sit and wait.

I have a game just started on the PBEM. It's a beginning power game. If interested, lurker or player

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Champions2005/

Good luck!!

I agree...That would be educational...

Then again, it might also be a bit offensive to some, in the fact that some of the characters that didnt "make the cut" might not be half bad...sometimes it all comes down to house rules (especially in HERO....heck, the entire game is a house rule =P) and GM preference...

Still it would be interesting.....

Re: Seeds of Change PBEM accepting new characters

I'd like to know as well. In fact' date=' I was one of the original submitters. Unfortunately for the character I had submitted there's not a single bit of background to be found for him anywhere :(.[/quote']

Color me confused ... What happened to his background? Was it written and now you've lost it, or was it never written, or ... Share your tragedy!

I have played in and GMed many a different PBEM. I have also submitted characters for many PBEM; some I was accepted for and some turned down.

On the ones I have been turned down for, I have never heard why. Is that wrong? Should someone tell me? You can decide, I let it go.

As a GM, I have been fortunate to keep calls for characters small so that I would end up accepting all. I have rejected characters because they were unbalanced or munchkined. In these cases, I would e-mail my objections and ask to have the character altered and be resubmitted.

Some players make the changes and join the game and some I never hear from again.

I suspect Nexus is in that process now or getting set for the game; either way she is too busy to e-mail back to each person who was initially rejected to explain why.

If you want to show your character on here, I would be happy to provide some feedback.

Hello everyone. I'm sorry I've been neglecting this thread. I'll be taking submissions until Sunday if anyone still wants to drop them off. I don't think I'll have time to comment individually on each one. So far the submissions I have gotten have been good though, so I'm really going with gut instinct more or less. What feels like they'll make for the most interesting characters in play. Don't take not being accepted as an indication there is something wrong with the character. It just didn't quite fit what I was looking for. Thank you all for your patience.

I have played in and GMed many a different PBEM. I have also submitted characters for many PBEM; some I was accepted for and some turned down.

On the ones I have been turned down for, I have never heard why. Is that wrong? Should someone tell me? You can decide, I let it go.

*snip*

If you want to show your character on here, I would be happy to provide some feedback.

Many thanks, oh Lord Beavis the Benevolent! I'd like to post mine. Depending on the game, I think it has several rough spots, but without feedback I'm not that sure. I'm also not sure if there are potential problems with posting characters - does it compromise game play if other players know everything about each other? Some games yes, some games no.

I have a really dumb question, never having done PBEM games before. How do they work?

My guess is the host broadcasts a scenario to the players, who then say (in character...?) what they do. Does this happen in near real-time, daily, weekly, what? How do you handle rolling dice? Does it vary by the game (e.g. a weekly game is more high-level action and the GM writes up action scenes, where minute-by-minute produces a disjointed set of "I move to the bushes and fire at The Ravager's Anvil o' Death!") ? Is there a need for deathless prose, or is the Anvil example sufficient?

Anyway, that's part of the reason I wanted to try PBEM - to sate my curiosity. The main reason is I want to PLAY, and opportunities are few. Still, accepted or not I had fun making a 750pt character. Hadn't done that before - thanks for the incentive Nexus!

Many thanks, oh Lord Beavis the Benevolent! I'd like to post mine. Depending on the game, I think it has several rough spots, but without feedback I'm not that sure. I'm also not sure if there are potential problems with posting characters - does it compromise game play if other players know everything about each other? Some games yes, some games no.

I have a really dumb question, never having done PBEM games before. How do they work?

My guess is the host broadcasts a scenario to the players, who then say (in character...?) what they do. Does this happen in near real-time, daily, weekly, what? How do you handle rolling dice? Does it vary by the game (e.g. a weekly game is more high-level action and the GM writes up action scenes, where minute-by-minute produces a disjointed set of "I move to the bushes and fire at The Ravager's Anvil o' Death!") ? Is there a need for deathless prose, or is the Anvil example sufficient?

Anyway, that's part of the reason I wanted to try PBEM - to sate my curiosity. The main reason is I want to PLAY, and opportunities are few. Still, accepted or not I had fun making a 750pt character. Hadn't done that before - thanks for the incentive Nexus!

There are several different ways but what you said is basically it. The GM posts the scene, NPCs and other details, gets the players reactions (IC and any OOC details) and posts the results. Lather. Rinse Repeat. Die rolls are either requested (I'd like Magnum to use his Streetwise to get some information) or the GM rolls when he feels its needed. Some scenes are handled in detail and somethings are covered in broad strokes (A week passes, what do you during that time?).

As for the level of writing needed. It varies. Personally, I just ask that you try.

And you're very welcome.

No problem, I will be under a foot of snow very soon. If you don't want to compromise your potential character, send to my e-mail ischmail3@aol.com.

This not a dumb question, there are alot who don't understand PBEMs and really need to read up on them before trying 'em out. I think there is a thread in the General Role-playing section.

My guess is the host broadcasts a scenario to the players, who then say (in character...?) what they do. Does this happen in near real-time, daily, weekly, what?

Depending on the speed of posts, it usually works best as 1 post per day. This can make large battles go on for a long time.

How do you handle rolling dice?

I usually make all the rolls, but if a player likes to roll, he can roll and send it to me in an e-mail.

Does it vary by the game (e.g. a weekly game is more high-level action and the GM writes up action scenes, where minute-by-minute produces a disjointed set of "I move to the bushes and fire at The Ravager's Anvil o' Death!") ? Is there a need for deathless prose, or is the Anvil example sufficient?

Game time in combat goes slow and out of combat zips along. A week can pass in a post or two.

If you are not familiar with the PBEM game, I would start with a low power game, just to get your feet wet.

Hello everyone. I'm sorry I've been neglecting this thread. I'll be taking submissions until Sunday if anyone still wants to drop them off.

*snip*

Thank you all for your patience.

Hey--I think we're all just excited at the prospect of the game getting off the ground. I know I'll want to lurk, even if my character isn't selected for play. Knowing a few of those involved from their posts online, I suspect the level of writing will be very high--and that's a lot of what makes a PBEM enjoyable.

You think you were being teased?? I understand your dispair.

Try it from the other side one time. Set up a game with website, background, villains, organizations, NPCs, storyline(s).

Then go out and recruit a group of players.

You'll get a large number of applicants. You'll have to sift through origin stories with typos, bizarre or complicated elements, or simply incomplete.

Then you make a final decision, and ask for actual submissions. You receive unbalanced characters (although you recommend using HD) with powers that aren't used correctly or power levels which don't fit your campaign.

Once you get started, expect all of the people to post furiously for a week or two, and then wait for some to drop out. After too many have left, you get to start the process all over again!!! YEAH!!

Anyone still interested in running a PBEM??? HELLO????