Stephen King characters in HERO

Badger

I have watched a couple of the old Stephen King movie classics, Carrie, Misery, and the Shining this week. I was wondering if anyone had built Carrie, and that creepy hotel in the Shining for HERO. Actually Carrie would be fairly easy as she would probably be a somewhat standard normal w/o her powers. Basically I would be curious on how to build her telekinetic powers exactly (particularly her TK STR). ANyway as far as the hotel in the Shining I have no clue how to go about that.

Guest Champsguy

Re: Stephen King characters in HERO

Well, Carrie would need Indirect TK, Clairsentience, and possibly a small VPP. She did some crazy stuff in the book, like wrenching open gas lines under the street (hence the need for Clairsentience).

Which Stephen King character was that?

Randall Flagg from THE STAND. He also showed up as Flagg, the King's Sorcerer, in EYE OF THE DRAGON.

Basically, Flagg is either Satan, the Anti-Christ, or simply a force of chaos that hates humanity, depending on your reading. And he has an appropriate level of power, i.e., godlike.

That, combined with a childish temper and raving ego, does make Flagg a very good villain. Though you've got to read about him to get anything like the full impact.

Randall Flagg from THE STAND. He also showed up as Flagg, the King's Sorcerer, in EYE OF THE DRAGON.

Basically, Flagg is either Satan, the Anti-Christ, or simply a force of chaos that hates humanity, depending on your reading. And he has an appropriate level of power, i.e., godlike.

That, combined with a childish temper and raving ego, does make Flagg a very good villain. Though you've got to read about him to get anything like the full impact.

Ahh yes, him I know. I just haven't ever heard of him referred to as the Walkin' Dude before. Yes he would be a very nasty villain indeed though I can't see any superhero world letting him hang out amongst them unhindered for long. Not with the sort of stuff he's likely to pull. Can't imagine any Batman type character letting him get away with the stuff he pulled in EYE OF THE DRAGON and trying any tricks from THE STAND would bring all the Archmage types running.

Of course, it would be a fun story while it lasted. :D

Carrie would be pretty strong in Hero terms. She'd have a very high TK, based on ECV, invisble and indirect possibly with a mega scale range (depending of if you want to emulate her pulling up the street and snatching a meteor out of orbit literally or not). Some of her stuff you could also build as RKAs with variable sfx (tk tricks).

The girl from Firestarter would be vastly powerful as well. Her power was huge in the book and steadily growing. I believe her last line was something like "I could change the sun one day if I wanted to."

I don't know if I would build the Hotel from the Shining as a character or not. It seemed to be more a property of the location. Lots of Mental Illusions perhaps?

Carrie would be pretty strong in Hero terms. She'd have a very high TK, based on ECV, invisble and indirect possibly with a mega scale range (depending of if you want to emulate her pulling up the street and snatching a meteor out of orbit literally or not). Some of her stuff you could also build as RKAs with variable sfx (tk tricks).

The girl from Firestarter would be vastly powerful as well. Her power was huge in the book and steadily growing. I believe her last line was something like "I could change the sun one day if I wanted to."

I don't know if I would build the Hotel from the Shining as a character or not. It seemed to be more a property of the location. Lots of Mental Illusions perhaps?

I seem to recall that there was one intelligence behind the powers of the Overlook Hotel, though admittedly it has been awhile since I read the book. As I recall there was some talk of the hotel manager as the bartender was trying to convince Jack Torrance to kill his family.

I seem to recall that there was one intelligence behind the powers of the Overlook Hotel' date=' though admittedly it has been awhile since I read the book. As I recall there was some talk of the hotel manager as the bartender was trying to convince Jack Torrance to kill his family.[/quote']

True and its been ages since I read the book, you could well be right. I'd still model most of the effects with Mental Illusions and Telepathy, perhaps from a Desolidified, Invisible "thing" with a physical limitation that ties it to the Overlook.

Hmm, the Flagg man would be an interesting character to create, but I would be worried he would be a wee bit too powerful at the start. A villain down the line after the characters gain some pop maybe. You'd probably have to pit planet-pushing Superman or Super SAiyan Goku against him. But back to Carrie.....so do you think her powers were steadily growing? That was my interpretation at least watching the movie (sadly I have never been able to find the book to read.)

Actually if I ever do use Carrie in a campaign. I am toying with the idea she might be an NPC ally trying to redeem herself rather than necessarily the cliche villain route.

So has anyone tried to create Randall Flagg. I'd love to get a whiff of that character sheet. :)

So has anyone tried to create Randall Flagg. I'd love to get a whiff of that character sheet. :)

I (surprise, surprise) have a rough draft of Randall Flagg at home. He's very incomplete, however. I also have Roland, the Gunslinger, as he appeared in THE GUNSLINGER. http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsbook/gunslinger.html

I am intruiged by the idea of doign a write-up for Carrie and the girl from FIRESTARTER, not to mention the guy from THE DEAD ZONE.

But back to Carrie.....so do you think her powers were steadily growing? That was my interpretation at least watching the movie (sadly I have never been able to find the book to read.)

Actually if I ever do use Carrie in a campaign. I am toying with the idea she might be an NPC ally trying to redeem herself rather than necessarily the cliche villain route.

As I recall, her powers got stronger the more she used them. They also got stronger when she was emotionally distraught -- which with her life and upbringing, was a fairly frequent event.

And I believe King mentioned in Danse Macabre that Carrie was not some innocent. She was emotionally disturbed, yes, but she committed the massacre with full knowledge of what she was doing. (If you only saw the movie, then in the book she also kills several dozen people in town with exploding gas mains and by downing electrical lines.) And she enjoyed every bit of it.

As he said, pity her, but don't feel sorry for her.

I (surprise' date=' surprise) have a rough draft of Randall Flagg at home. He's very incomplete, however. I also have Roland, the Gunslinger, as he appeared in [i']THE GUNSLINGER[/i]. http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsbook/gunslinger.html

I am intruiged by the idea of doign a write-up for Carrie and the girl from FIRESTARTER, not to mention the guy from THE DEAD ZONE.

Oh! Oh! Could you do a write up for the kid from the Talisman as well?

Please? Pretty Please? With sugar on top?

Guest Champsguy

Flagg wouldn't be too powerful at the start. It took him a while to figure out what was going on. He didn't start out knowing what all he could do.

SPOILERS FROM THE FINAL BOOK OF THE DARK TOWER SERIES, CONCERNING FLAGG...

Flagg's real name is Walter o'Dim, and he comes from the same world as Roland of Gilead. Walter came to serve the Crimson King, the force of primordial chaos, and seeks to help the Red King in his mad quest to tear down the Dark Tower and rule the wastelands that all worlds would then become. Flagg is (or at least was) human, but he was a sorcerer of unparalleled power, and does not age as mortal men age. Flagg even intended on betraying his master by ascending the Tower, and seizing the power contained therein...but alas for poor ol' Walter, the infant son of the Crimson King eats him alive.

--and that's that NB

Oh! Oh! Could you do a write up for the kid from the Talisman as well?

Please? Pretty Please? With sugar on top?

Dunno... can't recall if I ever read that... I think I did....

Anyway, here is my very rough layout for Randal Flagg

RANDALL FLAGG

(a.k.a. The Dark Man, The Walkin Dude)

Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes
13	STR	3	12-	Lift 150 kg; 2 1/2d6 HTH Damage
15	DEX	15	12-	OCV:  5/DCV:  5
20	CON	20	13-
13	BODY	6	12-
20	INT	10	13-	PER Roll 13-
30	EGO	40	15-	ECV:  10
40	PRE	30	17-	PRE Attack:  8d6
10	COM	0	11-
5	PD	2		Total:  5 PD ( rPD)
5	ED	1		Total:  5 ED ( rED)
4	SPD	15		Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
8	REC	0
40	END	0
35	STUN	5		Total Characteristics Cost:  147

Movement:	Running:  6"/12"
Swimming:  2"/4"

Cost	Powers & Skills
Martial Arts:  
Maneuver	OCV	DCV	Damage

Agent of Darkness Powers:
Clairsentience: can view all of Western America
Running: huge NCM, Invisible power effects, can cover all of Western America in a few days
Shapeshift: to disguise/hide features
Followers: Crows and Wolves
Flight: can levitate
TK: can manipulate objects (such as locked cell doors)
Change Environment: Aura of Evil and unease
RKA: No Range, Variable SPX, Extra Time, Conc

Perks
Talents
Skills
0	AK: Home Area 8-
0	Climbing 8-
0	Concealment 8-
0	Conversation 8-
0	Deduction 8-
0	Language: (native)
0	Paramedic 8-
0	PS:  8-
0	Shadowing 8-
0	Stealth 8-
0	TF: 
Total Powers & Skills Cost
Total Character Cost

XXX+	Disadvantages
Enraged:
20	Distinctive Features:  Aura of Evil (NC)
Hunted: 
Physical Limitation:
20	Psychological Limitation:  Manipulative -- Uses People For His Own Ends, Discarding 
Them When He No Longer Needs Them (VC, S)
25	Psychological Limitation:  Unrelentingly Evil (VC, T)
Susceptibility:
Unluck:
Vulnerability:
Watched: 
Experience
Total Disadvantage Points

Background/History:

Randall Flagg is one of Stephen King's more terrifying creations. A supernatural being of pure evil and hate, Randall Flagg is capable of committing horrific acts without a second thought. Seemingly immortal, or at least, ageless, Flagg is first found in the pages of "The Stand" where he is also known as Richard Fyre, Robert Freemont, and Richard Freemantle. His existence doesn't end there however. In the third Dark Tower book, "The Wastelands" he is called Richard Fannin and in "The Eyes of the Dragon" he is simply Flagg.

Personality/Motivation:

Quote:

Powers/Tactics:

"He looks like anybody you see on the street. But when he grins, birds fall off telephone lines. When he looks at you a certain way, your prostrate goes bad and your urine burns. The grass yellows up and dies where he spits. He's always outside. He came out of time. He doesn't know himself. He has the name of a thousand demons. ... His name is Legion. ... He knows magic. He can call the wolves and live in the crows. He's the king of nowhere."

The Stand, Page 818.

That about sums it up, doesn't it?

Appearance:

In "The Stand", Flagg is described as a tall man, dressed in faded jeans, workshirt, denim jacket, and rundown cowboy boots. He wears two buttons on his jacket, one is a yellow smiley face, the other asks "HOW'S YOUR PORK?". This last button usually shows a pig wearing a policeman's cap, but that image has been known to change.

Flagg is dark haired, and in good physical shape. People have a hard time remembering what he looks like, and staring into his face is a good way to drive yourself mad.

Designer's Notes:

(Randall Flagg created by Stephen King, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

How would you build Travelling Jack's ability to travel through the Other Realm [or whatever they called that dimension in The Talisman] and travel through the real world at the same time?

Is that covered with Extra Dimensional Movement or do you have to build some sneaking power construction to pull it off?