"Essential" Graphic Novels / Trade Paperbacks

Greatwyrm

Okay, I admit I'm a little weird. I like superheroes. I like supers movies and cartoons. I just don't like comics all that much. It's really not even that I don't like comics, I just don't like having a single story spread over months or even years.

I've recently discovered the wonderful world of graphic novels and trade paperback collections. So, what would you recommend I should pick up? I'm especially looking for stuff that's particularly representative of certain characters (e.g. If you only read one Captain America story, get this...) or stuff that's "groundbreaking" (which I'm led to believe The Watchmen is).

I've already been sold on Batman: Dark Knight Returns and The Watchmen . Any other suggestions?

Guest bblackmoor

Re: "Essential" Graphic Novels / Trade Paperbacks

I don't know if it's ever been collected into a graphic novel, but V For Vendetta is one of my all-time favorite miniseries.

Kingdom Come

Astro City (Confession/Tarnished Angel)

Ultimate Spider-Man Hardcovers (in order)

Avengers Forever

Rising Stars (in order)

I'll think of more.

I'll second everthing listed above, except Avengers forever. I am a fairly decent avengers fan, and that story left me lost and confused. And as much as I love Busiek, it was not very good. Likely his worst work (which still makes it better than most but definately not in an "essential" collection.

I'd add the other Astro City Trades (Life in the Big City and Family Album)

I'd also add Marvels - The history of the Marvel U seen throught the eyes of a newsman/photographer. Written by Busiek and painted by Alex Ross.

I'd second the JSA trades. Johns has a talent for writing continuity heavy stuff without losing the new reader. The JLA trades - just go for the Rock of Ages and whichever one is the invasion trade that was the start up of the Morrison run.

Teen Titans - The Judas Contract.

Oh yeah and Eyendasky80's sigline reminded me.

The Ultimates Volume one and two.

The Ultimate Spiderman (start with the first couple and see if you like them) - I've never been much of a spiderman fan, but I've really enjoyed the USM.

Edited for spelling - in the word Ultimate the "t" comes before the "i" - *sigh*

V for Vendetta: The best Punisher story to not feature the Punisher :)

The Essential books, especially Essential Fantastic Four and Essential Spider-Man: It's almost inexcusable for anyone interested in a Silver Age style game to not own a few of these books.

Batman-The Long Halloween: One of the best Batman stories in recent memory, possibly a more definitive Batman tale than Dark Knight Returns. No, really.

Green Lantern-Emerald Dawn: It's because of stories like this that fans have been begging for Hal Jordan's return for years.

The Essential books, especially Essential Fantastic Four and Essential Spider-Man: It's almost inexcusable for anyone interested in a Silver Age style game to not own a few of these books.

And if they were printed in color, I'd be all over then. I don't want to buy a coloring book. I want these, but I hate reprints that change something that basic - It is a sin as bad as colorizing old B&W movies, so I don't buy them.

Now there is a writer who really got into his comics.

Sorry.

Ewwww....although it did make me glad I waited to get the graphic novel in it's SECOND printing, sans remains. That was just a little too creepy for me.

Uh' date=' what? Me confused! :think:[/quote']

Mark Gruenwald, when he died had himself creamated and had the ashes added to the ink of the first edition of the the Squadron Supreme trade paperback - he felt it was his greatest contribution to comics, and wanted to show that some way.

So in the first editions of the print, the ink has the remains of the writer in it.

I thought it was a interesting, almost bordering on the cool, gesture -but viscerally, well, as proditor said eeewwwww.

I'd agree with nearly all of these... but for my money...

The Ultimate Marvel line... the Ultimate X-Men has only gotten better with each graphic novel. I don't buy the individual comics, just the GN. Same with all the Ultimate comics.

Ultimate Spider-Man

Ultimates

Ultimate Daredevil/Elektra

Ultimate Fantastic Four

even Ultimate Marvel Team-up

This is the Marvel universe rewritten, with relatively tight continuity, and a very modern sensibility. I haven't enjoyed Marvel like this since the early, mid-80s.

Any of the GNs by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale...

... from DC Batman Long Halloween, Batman Dark Victory and Superman: For All Seasons

... from Marvel, Daredevil Yellow and Spider-Man Blue

From Wildstorm... highly recommend the Ellis Stormwatch Graphic Novels, and then the first two Authority Graphic Novels (done by Ellis) don't bother reading Authority after Ellis left

... also Sleeper Season 1 comes in two Graphic Novels... season two is coming out right now, and will eventually be collected in two GNs as well

From Marvel... The Exiles... Currently seven different GNs, and really solid Marvel stories that don't have to worry about continuity, because they are all about alternate dimension travel. Great stuff... great characterization, but the art gets "eh" later in the series.

Get Crisis On Infinite Earths from DC, just to see what a complete "UNIVERSE REBOOT" should look like. That was such a classic, great story... it's too bad they couldn't maintain editorial control and continuity afterwards.

I'd actually encourage you to pick up all 9 of the current Daredevil GNs. They are labled with numbers, except for the first one which is the worst, because it was written by Kevin Smith... the Bendis stuff that follows is brilliant. (And tying into that... pick up Bendis' Alias as well. This is not the TV show, but a tight, adult comic based in the Marvel Universe that shows a retired superheroine trying to make it as a PI. Really good stuff.)

I'm sure I'm forgetting many...

I'd second the JSA trades. Johns has a talent for writing continuity heavy stuff without losing the new reader. The JLA trades - just go for the Rock of Ages and whichever one is the invasion trade that was the start up of the Morrison run.

People who like continuity always say that, but being continuity heavy even if it is well written, means that a new reader with no comic experience is missing a piece. It's a good book, but his money would be better spent on more "definitive" books.

Anything by Will Eisner is good, but they're not super-hero related. His graphic novels are very enjoyable reads.

The Spirit Archives are pricy at 49.95 each, but they're worth every penny.

Not being a true comic book fan, that's about the extent of my comics reading. lol

People who like continuity always say that' date=' but being continuity heavy even if it is well written, means that a new reader with no comic experience is missing a piece. It's a good book, but his money would be better spent on more "definitive" books.[/quote']

I've had two reader at the comic shop I work at who read JSA, but have never really touched DC love it, and comment that they like the fact that they feel they are coming into an ongoing saga, and that Johns writes in such a way as to not make them lost, or feel as if they are missing anything.

But I do see your point.