Monty Haul DnD vets: need your help for NPC villain team

megaplayboy

I'm currently running a "cosmic level/iconic" supers game, 4 color with some adult, humorous flavor, and one of the PCs happens to be a pagan deity of sorts. So I had the idea to have a villain team composed of stereotypical fantasy game "munchkins and powergamers" try to kill him and collect their "gold points and experience pieces".

The team would have five or six members, plus any obnoxious familiars, mounts, or henchment.

The only thing I have so far is that one of them would be named "Sir Monty", and be armed with a "Plus Five Sword of Obviousness"(has a large "+5" on the hilt, with a label explaining all of the sword's characteristics). The other thing is they will likely "break character" repeatedly, and talk in "gamespeak" gibberish.

I'm throwing this out there to you guys for help--thanks in advance :)

Re: Monty Haul DnD vets: need your help for NPC villain team

There should be one guy who is 1st level in EVERYTHING.

Their treasure pouches should be marked things like "Treasure type F".

A cleric who won't heal anyone on the team unless they praise HIS god first.

A thief who keeps stealing from his own team (The wizard reaches for his wand during combat and finds it missing; He loses his action this turn as he searches his gear for it and curses the Thief by name).

Guest WhammeWhamme

I'm currently running a "cosmic level/iconic" supers game, 4 color with some adult, humorous flavor, and one of the PCs happens to be a pagan deity of sorts. So I had the idea to have a villain team composed of stereotypical fantasy game "munchkins and powergamers" try to kill him and collect their "gold points and experience pieces".

The team would have five or six members, plus any obnoxious familiars, mounts, or henchment.

The only thing I have so far is that one of them would be named "Sir Monty", and be armed with a "Plus Five Sword of Obviousness"(has a large "+5" on the hilt, with a label explaining all of the sword's characteristics). The other thing is they will likely "break character" repeatedly, and talk in "gamespeak" gibberish.

I'm throwing this out there to you guys for help--thanks in advance :)

Well... there should be a Giant. Who can throw boulders the size of small planets. Or bigger. (Gotta love 3rd Ed options...)

The Paladin. Don't forget to make Sir Monty a Holy Warrior... and a casual killer.

The guy with every Optional Class imaginable - when he introduces himself, he lists them - but the list changes a bit each time, 'cause he forgot some.

You can always have the "Holy Warrior" running around with a pair of horse-blinders on so he can't see what the rest of his party is doing behind his back.

The dark-elf ranger with twin scimitars is very cliche and I think would work well. Other favorites are the dwarf with an Irish or Scotish accent; the Half-Orc moron who can't put his fingers together to make a fist; the halfling rogue who steals everything that isn't nailed down (and a few things that are); etc etc.

Guest Champsguy

One's a Grand Master in darts. Spd 9 (or higher) with autofire.

One has an invincible protective combo, but little defenses outside of it (he drank a potion of "immunity to magical weapons" and a potion of "immunity to normal weapons", and rigged it so they're both permanent--but he has like an 8 Con).

Actually, just read 8 bit theater. http://www.nuklearpower.com/

"Fighter need sword-chucks."

A warrior who is carrying:

4 spears,

3 swords (1 2 hander, 1 bastard and 1 short)

4 daggers

1 battleaxe

3 throwing hammers

a mace

a morningstar

a shield

full plate

a 25' blow gun

castanets

and has Stealth. :)

a short person with hairy feet and a ring of invisibility. calls everyone "precious"

I shall contribute my own munchkin parody, "Gary Jackson".

OK, take somebody who has the unshakable delusion that nothing he's doing is real -- that he's merely in the most realistic LARP /ever/.

Then have him speak OOC and in game and rulespeak /all the time/.

Top off with him being an ultimately obnoxious powergaming twink of a level matched only by the Knights of the Dinner Table. (As if the homage wasn't obvious enough, what with the name 'Gary Jackson'.) :D

Enjoy. :)

Note -- in his original incarnation, Gary Jackson was a Malkavian maxed out in non-Malkavian Disciplines.. such as Celerity, Potence, and Fortitude. And he had a Really Big Sword. Which he somehow fit under his trenchcoat without anyone noticing. (Actually, it was an application of Mask of a Thousand Faces...)

Oh yes, and he had Obfuscate ("Hide in Shadows") and Quietus ("Move Silently").

Add in the assload of guns...

... yes, I said 'Malkavian'. I brought Gary Jackson to a /Vampire/ game. :D

Heh! You beat me with the 50% damage reduction with the 'save for half' gestures, focus limitations.

Some ideas/powers:

+20 to Presence

-1/2 OIF Chainmail shirt with

"HP 1000" emblazoned on it.

+xd6 (I don't know what kind of DC's you use in your campaign)

when:

1) attacks from 'behind' (old-scholl DnD)

2) when flanking opponent with another party member (new DnD)

3) special effect (proclaims "hey I rolled my 10th 20 in a row" aka cheats on the die roll)

4) or as 3) but activation roll to represent a 'critical hit'

You may want to not give the group teamwork. Most Monty Haul parties are a collection of gods not a group that works as a team.

AVLD does BODY (any number of no save-die spells).

Triggered teleport (when knocked out) - contingency.

There's more but I have to go to the airport now, I'll post if there is an internet available where I end up.

Boy I love your game idea. (Reminds me of the intro scenario of Tales of the Floating Vagabond)

Cheers.

P.S. One more thing: xd6 Dispel/Suppress AoE Radius versus special effects "All monty haul special effects."

Focus: The Rules book.

Extra time, Gestures (flipping through pages).

If you want some really off-the-wall but potentially nasty ideas, get out your copy of SJG's Munchkin -- any variety -- and look for the more stupid/abusive combos. Look for things in particular that are bad word-plays, like the Two-Handed Sword. (If you're not familiar with Munchkin, all objects take up a space slot ... head, feet, whatever. You can carry two 1-handed object, or one 2-handed object. The so-called "Two Handed Sword" has a space usage of -1 hand. Yup, that's right...you can hold a total of 3 hands' worth of items while wielding this sword. Why? Well, you hold the sword in one hand, y'see, and the sword itself has two hands to hold other weapons...)

If you want some really off-the-wall but potentially nasty ideas' date=' get out your copy of SJG's [i']Munchkin[/i] -- any variety -- and look for the more stupid/abusive combos. Look for things in particular that are bad word-plays, like the Two-Handed Sword. (If you're not familiar with Munchkin, all objects take up a space slot ... head, feet, whatever. You can carry two 1-handed object, or one 2-handed object. The so-called "Two Handed Sword" has a space usage of -1 hand. Yup, that's right...you can hold a total of 3 hands' worth of items while wielding this sword. Why? Well, you hold the sword in one hand, y'see, and the sword itself has two hands to hold other weapons...)

I LOVE Munchkin. I have them ALL except Munchkin Blender. If you like to laugh at powergamers and like a quick silly card game...Munchkin is the shizzle. In fact Munchkin Bites just arrived with the last batch of Hero books!! WOOHOO!

Haven't seen him around lately, but props out to DevoDog for introducing me to Munchkin.

Heh! buy the 'save for half' power with recoverable charges (bag of dice); they have to scramble after the d20 to recover the charge :)

If your players are into Knight of the Dinner Table, you could do the Knight's characters (well, except for Sara's characters):

Teflon Billy: Fireball VPP

El Ravager: Huge Sword man

Knuckles: Autofire crossbow

Anyway, let us know how this session goes, cause it sounds like it'll be a blast!

The mannish "female" character who minces around talking in a squeaky falsetto because "that's what chicks do".

...wearing the skimpiest chain mail bikini you can find artwork for (at least one Dragon magazine had cover art by Boris Vallejo ;) ) and boots with minimum 4 inch spike heels.

How about dwarves, drow, half-ogres, or whatever who look and act just like humans but have a big sign on them identifying their race?

You got to have the half-phase action, of "he reaches into his Bag of Hauling and switches from using one magic item to another magic item of the same type but has completely different powers" or quickly switches rings around. "Why doesn't he just wear a ring on each finger?" Don't forget the 100 foot of rope, and the 10 foot pole.

If they get observed out of combat, the strange rituals of eating, sleeping, etc...

Eating usually consists something that looks like a cross between a breakfast bar and jerky. Washing it down with cheap ale (unless the cleric makes pure water). They'll complain that they don't have real food, completely obvious to restraunts and the like, since you never eat food in a strange dimension.

Sleeping, no matter what, at least one person is on guard. Elaberate spells/magic items will be used to "secure the perimeter" and "awaken refreshed, even though they're sleeping on hard ground". The fighter will insist on sleeping in armor, because he's done it for years. Of course, if there is a high-level mage, he's got the spell that will create a mountain cabin out of nothing (boy, that's got to upset the locals when put that in the middle of a highway). :jawdrop:

They all speak in English, but shrug and say, "Everyone speaks Con-moan (Common)."

...wearing the skimpiest chain mail bikini you can find artwork for (at least one Dragon magazine had cover art by Boris Vallejo ;) ) and boots with minimum 4 inch spike heels.

I left out this character's five o'clock shadow and Adam's apple...

The mounts should be these amazingly picture perfect horses that can run at 60 miles an hour indefinately because of the amazing magical horseshoes that they wear, four on them on each hoof. "Hey, they didn't say they can't stack!" They might just be Figurines of Mighty Impressiveness and can return to minitures that can be worn on a necklace when not in use. Optionally: One might be a Pegacorn. A horse with all the powers of Unicorn and Pegasus. Or, a Nega-Pegacorn which has all the powers of a Unicorn, Pegasus, and a Nightmare Steed. Of course, the horses were breed for ten generations to get this effect.

The henchmen need to have names like: Manual, Laybore, Grunt, Bob, Lug, Tote, Kerry, Stumpy (missing an arm), or One-Eye etc. Regardless of the species, they need to be at least a foot shorter than the "heroes" who the minimum (unless they are an elf or dwarf) is 6 feet tall and probably nearly 7 feet tall. All of henchmen will explained (if asked) that they willing serve because the "heroes" save their family/village/city/plane of existance from some strange monsters OR that they are the brother/sister/cousin of the last henchman that hero had.

You need to have one character that is "the buddy".

You know, the guy that is in nearly every RPG group because one of his friends plays and he has nothing better to do.

He will just stand around and follow the rest of the group when they move.

He only defends himself if attacked, uses no tactics at all, but never seems to get killed because no one wants to offend him, and he never actually does anything anyway.

:)

KA.

I left out this character's five o'clock shadow and Adam's apple...

LOL!

I can totally picture the scene of her, belching, sitting legs apart, scratching her crotch, "What? It says right here on my character sheet, I'm female. And I gotz me a 19 Allurement, so I can like get guys to do stuff for me. Come on, you know you want some of this. But you can't have it, cuz I dig chicks."

Have a fighter or cleric type with 18's in all Stats.

+5 Full Plate. +13 DCV OIF (Armor makes you harder to hit instead of subtracting from damage, and Full Plate gives you +8 AC in D&D)

+5 Tower Shield. +7 DCV OIF doesn't work if Flanked or surprised.

Now the character has 26 DCV. Good luck having your players try and hit him. ;)