My take on the Light Sabre

MisterVimes

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Just a point of order...

Yeah, that took a lot of skill to disembowl a dead Taun-Taun. I'm sure the weather more than made up for the fact the Taun-Taun could not dodge or move.

WEG's Star Wars game never said only a Jedi could use weapon. They did say only a skilled person in Lightsaber could use it wihtout hurting themselves. Jedi's just had a Force Power that allowed them to increase damage. The d20 version allows for Jedi classes to increase damage of lightsabers as they advance in level.

Originally posted by Shaun Hendricks

For those of you (and this apparently includes the New Star Wars game authors) that feel you need to be a Jedi or have force powers to use a lightsaber: consider that none other than Han Solo picks up Luke's saber and disembowls a Taun-Taun with it.

I actually liked the 2nd Matrix movie until the end.

I hated the third one with a passion.

The creators of the Matrix Trilogy sure suckered me and many others out of hard earned $$$$. I fooled 'em though by going to the matinee for both movies.

IMO, the Matrix is only a single movie.

Now, I have just completed reading this entire thread. All the writeups for LS are good. I like the Star Hero version the best.

Originally posted by austenandrews

Agreed. I've watched Ep1 several times on DVD, warts and all. I've no desire to see Matrix 2 ever again.

-AA

• 3 years later...

Re: My take on the Light Sabre

I was thinking, and decided I should probably drop it to around 4D6.

Minimal? Who said I wanted "minimal". I want to simulate what the darn thing does. I want people to stop transposing mechanics for an out-of-print game onto the weapon. A lightsaber is just an energy attack. It shouldn't hurt Superman. That's why I don't want NND on it--because it shouldn't have NND on it.

What are you expecting to run into in the Star Wars universe that will require NND Does Body?

After reading all 7 pages of this, I like this guys take the most. So I threw it all into HD and came up with:

Lightsaber: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points); OAF (-1), -2 Decreased STUN Multiplier (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (not vs ff, fw; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Minimum 1-5 (-1/4) 24 pts

That would seem to simulate the damaging effects of the lightsaber on just about everything we've seen in the movies without having to resort to all sorts of AVLD's and NND's, and at a reasonable cost to the character. Darth's armor stopped some damage because it was resistant and Luke rolled crappily (and that's what was called for for dramatic purposes :D), same for Fett's armor.

The weapon above could cut through the Walkers armor, go through blast doors and droids (and people) with the appropriate effect...

I like it!

Your mileage may however vary!

Thanks to everyone for posting all their ideas on how this puppy should work - it's been great food for thought!

• 4 years later...