Need help with speedster

Reneshat

We are playing a game where one of the players isn't horribly familiar with the system and wants to play a speedster. I was going to make the speedster for him. There is only one problem, I've never done a speedster before. The characters are built on 300 points, 200 base 100 disadvantages. Can anyone help me with this?

Re: Need help with speedster

Hmmm, perhaps he could have a Purple Wolf emblazed upon his costume, and maybe he should speak in a gruff and hearty manner. :smoke:

Speedsters are all about ONE THING. Hand to hand attack with area effect: selective.

Your turn, what do you do?

Hmmm, I think Purple Wolf is going to punch, EVERYONE!!!!!!!

Well, If you have CKC, there's Thunderbolt 2. Or, if you have CU, there's Kinetik. You could modify either of those to fit rather than make one from scratch.

Or, if you have the USPD, there's a speedster section where you could cobble together powers (maybe into a framework) and then flesh out the stats on your own.

Hope that helps. :)

I know for a fact that Reneshat has Hero 5th edition' date=' Dark Champions and nothing else.[/quote']

Bummer.

Well, Reneshat, not knowing anything about your game, specifically, all I can do is make general suggestions.

1) high dex

2) high spd

3) lots of movement (running or flt-only usable when in contact with a surface)

4) Paigeolivers suggestion of an AoE (selective) hand attack is a good thought.

5) autofire hand attack.

6) maybe some defensive levels.

Good Luck.

I also know for a fact that the player is the type who is going to get bored if he doesn't have options, so it needs to be a character that can do A LOT of stuff.

No power pools though, the GM does NOT like them.

Might I suggest a Multipower. They are delicious.

Something like a 50 or 60 active point MP with ultra slots. Powers in the MP could be:

desolid-vibrate at superspeed

hand attack autofire-rapid punching

hand attack AoE (selective)-punch 'em all

non combat running (or flight)

megascale running (or flight)

dex drain (requires a dex roll)-tornado spin

nnd eb-sonic boom

tk AoE (only to disarm)-run around and take the bad guy's weapons

healing

lightning calculator

speed reading

lightning reflexes

Hope this helps.

When I play my speedster, it's all about the move-by and move-through. The character has armor on his arms that help minimize the damage he takes from the maneuvers, and at around 300 points he's capable of doing around 15d6 of damage without pushing. It's a similar idea to the AoE/selective attack, but I think a bit more realistic about having to get up a good head of steam before doing significant damage.

I would also recommend missile deflect and/or desolid.

New player? Keep it relatively simple. Lots of Dex, Spd, and Running plus a Multipower of straightforward Speedster Tricks.

For instance:

A suite of Advantaged HtH Attacks, AP for "Hypersonic One-Punching," extra KB for "Put Your Weight Behind It," AoE for "Punch Them All, Let God Sort 'Em Out," and the like.

Stretching with "Must be able to reach target on foot" Limitation for "Detour Attack."

Megascale Running for "Really Pour It On."

Self-only Healing for "Metabolic Acceleration."

Sounds like rich options with all the mechanics pre-calculated will probably make this guy a convert to Herodom.

We are playing a game where one of the players isn't horribly familiar with the system and wants to play a speedster. I was going to make the speedster for him. There is only one problem' date=' I've never done a speedster before. The characters are built on 300 points, 200 base 100 disadvantages. Can anyone help me with this?[/quote']

Besides having a high Dex and a high Speed, give him a multipower of "superspeed" effects. For instance:

Hand Attack, Area Effective, Selective (he can zoom around and punch lots of guys in a large area "all at once").

Hand Attack, Lots of Dice (he uses the guy's face like a speedbag).

Short-range Teleport (he moves faster than the eye can see)

Missile Deflection/Reflection (he dodges bullets or catches them and throws them back at the bad guy)

Desolidification (he can dodge bullets like Neo in the Matrix)

There are lots of possibilities....

You could give him a Hand to Hand only Energy attack also, special effect : Super speedy rubbing friction heats up the target.

You could give him some static electricity effects, recharged by running far/fast enough to build up his charge again (this could also be a bit of a disadvantage, if he couldnt opt -not- to use it. Better remember to ground himself after a good run before touching anything he doesnt want zapped!)

Several board members have posted good speedsters to the board as well as their own websites. Take a look at this writeup of Flash. Also, take a look at the link in my sig below for the New Circle and look for the character named Always. There is a good 350 as well as 750 point furture version listed.HM

I would first ask them what it is they want from playing a speedster, and give them that (within usual limitations for points and/or effectiveness) and only that. I don't know how experienced the player is, but it sounds like they don't know the system very well. Players like that can bog down a game simply because they don't know what they can do and are overloaded with options. Keep it simple.

I'm agreeing with Supreme...I used to use a speedster as a Try it out character.....some running, clinging:Must 1/2 move or full move a HA and a speed of 9...having a speed of 9 lets you do tons of stuff and lets you waste phase doing goofy stuf with little penalty...a perfect "new guy" char.....

Well, if you want a character to look at and use for some ideas, I have a 350 point Speedster Villain I made for one of my Champions games. He's not as fleshed out as I like, and I haven't written up his background on the character sheet I've put up, but he should suffice for sparking ideas.

His name is Speed Demon, and he can be found here.

Well, if you want a character to look at and use for some ideas, I have a 350 point Speedster Villain I made for one of my Champions games. He's not as fleshed out as I like, and I haven't written up his background on the character sheet I've put up, but he should suffice for sparking ideas.

His name is Speed Demon, and he can be found here.

Old Time character sheets rock!

I have just one question, what does this character do if a combat lasts longer than 1 turn since it appears he would be nearly out of END at that point?

HM

Old Time character sheets rock!

I have just one question, what does this character do if a combat lasts longer than 1 turn since it appears he would be nearly out of END at that point?

HM

Use 3 phases in the next turn to take recoveries? Still leaves him 4 more phases to play with. Not the best solution, but it is the most immediately obvious one.

This is an interesting speedster--some neat constructs. One thing I might take issue with if I were running the game, though, is hte fact that he has mental defense at the same time he has a disad about mentalists--The GMs I've played with disallow that sort of thing because it strikes them as effectively negating the disad in some ways.

I recognize that the disad is "fear of" instead a susceptability, which would be totally, out, but I'm curious to hear what you and others think about that.

This is an interesting speedster--some neat constructs. One thing I might take issue with if I were running the game' date=' though, is hte fact that he has mental defense at the same time he has a disad about mentalists--The GMs I've played with disallow that sort of thing because it strikes them as effectively negating the disad in some ways.[/quote']

Hmm... well, I'm not sure how having defenses against mental attacks negates the fact that he is actively scared of and frightned by mentalists. It is, in most ways, an irrational fear which will, to some degree, dictate his actions in a potentially negative way.

It's no more sketchy than having someone who is terrified of guns who wears a bulletproof vest. Yeah, sure he's protected from the bullets, but that doesn't change the fact that he's scared of the guy with the gun.

Also, you should note that he only gets the mental defense when he's doing his "In Two Places At Once" trick, which costs him 8 end to activate. (on a character with noticable end problems) If he knew one of his opponents in a fight was a mentallist, he'd probably use that power even if it wasn't a good move tactically to do so.

Lastly, he probably would be very uncomfortable working with a "friendly" mentalist. He probably wouldn't trust them much, and would probably be skittish and fearful around them.

I recognize that the disad is "fear of" instead a susceptability, which would be totally, out, but I'm curious to hear what you and others think about that.

Those are my thoughts on it, as the guy who made the character. (with more than a bit of help from the USPD

:D )

Thanks for the compliments on him, btw... I'm quite fond of him, even if the last two times he has shown up he has been waxed completly by my players. :) The 2x stun from KB damage while he's using his superrunning is pretty rough sometimes. ;)

This is a quick character I put together for you, I have left 30 point for skills and such, in essence he gets his powers from a Speed Suit, an armored suit that allows superspeed (Opposed to the normal blasterers and such) he has trained himself to fight in it (AKA Speed Fu, default to battlesuit instead of bare hands)

Player:

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
15/35 DEX 15
20 CON 20
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
12 EGO 4
15 PRE 5
14 COM 2
10/20 PD 6
10/20 ED 6
4/7 SPD 15
8 REC 0
40 END 0
30 STUN 0
10"/40" RUN82" SWIM04" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 94

Cost Power END
Speed Suit, all slots: OIF (-1/2)
20 1) Armored Costume: Armor (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points)
40 2) Super Agile: +20 DEX (60 Active Points)
7 3) Super Quick: +1 SPD (10 Active Points)
40 4) Super Speed: +20" Running (10"/40" total), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (60 Active Points)
23 5) Radar Unit: Radar (Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Telescopic (+3)), Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages +1/2) (34 Active Points)
20 Multipower, 30-point reserve, all slots: (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
2u 1) +10" Running (10"/40" total), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (30 Active Points)
2u 2) Flight 10", Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages +1/2) (30 Active Points); Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4) 3
2u 3) Flight 10", Megascale (1" = 10 km; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4) 3
Powers Cost: 156

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
5 Passing Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +v/5; FMove
5 Passing Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Disarm, +10 STR to Disarm roll; FMove
5 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
5 Flying Grab: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, +10 STR for holding on; FMove
Martial Arts Cost: 20

Total Character Cost: 270

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 70

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0