Background Cliches

Supreme

Re: Background Cliches

Cliche: Magic, it exists, there are demon's/eldar gods that want to eat the earth for lunch and there is also one sorcerer/ess who is the greatest magic user on earth who's sole job is to prevent that from happening, normaly with NO help from the various magic using supers that also seem to run about.

(aka Doctor Strange)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Worldmaker

Cliche: Magic, it exists, there are demon's/eldar gods that want to eat the earth for lunch and there is also one sorcerer/ess who is the greatest magic user on earth who's sole job is to prevent that from happening, normaly with NO help from the various magic using supers that also seem to run about.

(aka Doctor Strange)

Yeah, but its a great way to allow one PC to shine.

One sub-cliche that I've seen used to justify the phenomenon, at least for the classic "mutation as evolution" schtick, is the increased physical attractiveness is some kind of pushed "progressive evolution"--ie, that the mutations are on some level geared towards generating a genetic advantage.

This raises the possibility that mutants have been *created* by some force, but hey, players like mysteries.

:)

Following this line of thought (not too much unlikely, after all, if one expouses the mutation/deliberate genetic engineering origin for superpowers, IMO the best explanation, that and/or psionics/unconscious reality manipulation), one might hypothesize that revealing/skintight costumes are the expression of an unconscious heightened drive to mate, especially with their own kind. Notwithstanding the lingering influencies of Comic Code, I've always got the distinct feeling supers must have somewhat of an heightened sex drive: optimized, healthy bodies + physically active, high-risk lifestyle + body-conscious dress code + celebrity

TO "Samuraiko" That's the great advantage with imaginary characters' date=' they can have any sort of body that their creator wants ! "St Barbara" is built like an Olympic gymnast. Her creator (apart from being male) doesn't look like an Olympic anything, being middle aged and rather sedentary in my habits ![/quote']

Well, God knows that Midnight (my character) looks nothing like me. Maybe our heights are the same, but that's it. I'm 5'8", chestnut/auburn/silver hair, hazel (green-gold) eyes, and a little overweight. Whereas Midnight is 5'8", rich auburn hair, jade green eyes, and a fabulous body. She is also incredibly graceful and coordinated, while I am an avowed klutz of the first water.

But as you so rightly remarked earlier, if you've got it, flaunt it!

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Guest Worldmaker

Hey, it took me a while to appreciate being 5'8". Most guys can't look down on me.

Its a good thing to see that you don't allow being so short to stifle your good attitude. :D

I don't know what it's like to be short, but I can tell you that being 6'4" is no picnic. I can't find clothes that fit everywhere, most modern cars don't have enough headroom, even in the front seats, I've lost nickel-sized pieces of skin from my head to low-hanging valves, and I'm developing a permanent slouch from walking around my ship.

Zeropoint

I don't mind being 5'6", but I will say this - in the most senior management positions, people are disproportionately tall. Being looked up to physically in some ways extends further, particularly (to be fair) if you have the skills; I think there's an inherent advantage in society at that point against people with the same skills but who are shorter. This isn't any sort of bitterness or such - heck, I'm quite happy as far as the status of my positon and I actually do NOT want a promotion, I'm as far up in my career as I intend to go. I just have noted this. It's natural enough - for many eons size was an indicator of one's health and physical power.

Guest Worldmaker

I don't know what it's like to be short, but I can tell you that being 6'4" is no picnic. I can't find clothes that fit everywhere, most modern cars don't have enough headroom, even in the front seats, I've lost nickel-sized pieces of skin from my head to low-hanging valves, and I'm developing a permanent slouch from walking around my ship.

I'm 6' even, which is not too bad, but get this: my shoulder-tip to shoulder-tip measurement is 35 and 1/2 inches. Most shirts I buy off the rack to fit my shoulder width I have to then roll the sleeves on.

I don't mind being 5'6"' date=' but I will say this - in the most senior management positions, people are disproportionately tall. Being looked up to physically in some ways extends further, particularly (to be fair) if you have the skills; I think there's an inherent advantage in society at that point against people with the same skills but who are shorter. This isn't any sort of bitterness or such - heck, I'm quite happy as far as the status of my positon and I actually do NOT want a promotion, I'm as far up in my career as I intend to go. I just have noted this. It's natural enough - for many eons size was an indicator of one's health and physical power.[/quote']

That's why I ritually mount and dominate my taller co-workers and managers. Sure, they call the police and I get fired, but I've established my primal dominance, and that's what counts.

Ook.

That's why I ritually mount and dominate my taller co-workers and managers. Sure, they call the police and I get fired, but I've established my primal dominance, and that's what counts.

Ook.

Well that was an unexpected response!

:rofl:

Okay, enough now from me, I should acknowledge I just realized this is the Champions forum, sorry to have gotten into real-life reflections on height and such.

King Shardik brought down the killing blow from his sword onto a powerful demon as the demon ripped his very soul from his body. The soul tried to infuse itself back to its body but because King Shardik has placed all of his magic into his sword, it grabbed the wrong body. Thus the Sword Shardik was born.

I don't recall seeing that origin story before. :)

Universe X vol 1 explains that the Absorbing Man was created in much the same way.

Well, God knows that Midnight (my character) looks nothing like me. Maybe our heights are the same, but that's it. I'm 5'8", chestnut/auburn/silver hair, hazel (green-gold) eyes, and a little overweight. Whereas Midnight is 5'8", rich auburn hair, jade green eyes, and a fabulous body. She is also incredibly graceful and coordinated, while I am an avowed klutz of the first water.

But as you so rightly remarked earlier, if you've got it, flaunt it!

Hmm, I've played 5' (not counting a random pixie) to 8'2" for PCs. Come to think of it, the only character that I put at my height is nothing like me.