Background Cliches

Supreme

Re: Background Cliches

"I always think it adds resonance to a hero's mission to have some defining element of tragedy in his background' date=' don't you?" - Joker to Batman, [i']Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker[/i]

So true, so true...

Ironically enough, the same event both started my PC on that path to superhero-dom and turned her twin sister into a Villain of icky proportions.

Hence the reason I threw convention out the window when I designed Midnight's costume... a slightly modernized "Shadow" (the radio drama/pulp fiction character) with a black bodysuit instead of his shirt-pants-suspenders. Now granted, she does have a very nice body, but she'd only show it off if she took off the trenchcoat and only had on the bodysuit underneath... No flashing cleavage for THIS chick!

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

It's always nice when you get pleasantly surprised by your players on the cliches. Of the 3 women in "Justice Inc." the only one who wears a "revealing" costume is Mach. And by revealing, I mean she has bare arms. Ultraviolet wear a full neck to toes costume that was...let's use the word inspired..by Kyle's original Green Lantern costume. Mystic wears a costume similar to Witchcraft's, and Mach wears a neck to toes body suit that leaves her arms bare. Yeah, UV and Mach both wear the ubiquitous bulletproof spandex derivative, but no cleavage, no leg.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First a general comment - the campaign I've run the last few years is unique for me in that in fact it was finally inspired by mainstream comics DIRECTLY, specifically via the X-Men first movie. I had deliberately avoided many mainstream "cliches" (not sure all of these are cliches, but anyway...) but that movie inspired me to embrace the whole "mutants and society" ones. So far I've been very happy, the players seem to be enjoying it as well. Then again, I really twist things a lot in some ways, or at least so I'm told (I really am not conscious of a lot of that, it's just idiosyncratic to me), so it ends up being a reasonable synthesis, not stale - or people are just being very kind!

Re the list I've seen so far, here's the ones I've embraced for this campaign, to one degree or another:

1. The first super-hero is from the pre-war period and is a patriotic flying brick modelled after Superman (who was not very patriotic back then, btw).

- pretty much, although I'd like to comment a bit - my world begins just after WW II, when superhero comics were fading in popularity (though certainly Superman was around in comics) and voila, the first superhero actually IS Superman; but unlike in the comics, he's rather quickly killed by a Lex Luthor-type who figures out his invulnerability and just kills him. He wasn't around long. Spiderman, btw, is in the first wave of supers, arising just after Superman. He predates the comic book character, and, of course, the comic book character never exists. In fact, comics are more about pirates and cowboys now, a la Watchmen. In my prior campaign, this was true as I built the world history directly on the comics.

3. Mutant registration acts.

- oh yeah, big-time, like I said, I wanted to miimic some aspects of Marvel mutant scenarios; this is a HUGE issue in the campaign world, and this ties into the McCarthy era in that in fact this arose directly out of that. Not in my prior campaign at all, though.

4. Nosey reporter possible love interests

- sure, why not! I can't recall if I did this in my prior campaign.

5. Their primary interface with the goverment is an officious bureaucratic foil. Honest, just more of a hindrance than a help.

- Not quite, kind of. The bureaucrat is actually helpful; another liaison who works with him isn't a bureaucrat at all but rather a former field operative who wishes he still were one (and tries to get out as much as he can), but he's a real jerk and isn't too helpful; however, he's actually sincere and has no counter-agenda, although he dislikes "freaks" (mutants), but he really cares about his country and tries to do a good job. We did not do this at all in my prior campaign.

6. The government is running a top-secret super-soldier program. Which produces one (or more) PC heroes and one (or more) NPC villains.

- Sort of, certainly the gov't has created and will create supers; the way this has manifested is that the European Union funded an android development that has gone horribly wrong, and instead ended up creating an android who seeks the death of all mutants - he's modelled after and is called Vision! Didn't really do this at all in my prior campaign.

7. Magic, Superheroes, Aliens, etc.. have always existed, but up to this point, hidden in a elaberate conspiracy of lies and half-truths. Until they are exposed by the heroes.

- Ummmmm, kind of, at least the PCs think so, and SOME of this is true, and some of this is not! But I won't say more as it detracts from the ultimate back-story, which they are not yet fully aware of (or they may be but are staying in-character and not ruining the plotlines, which is what I more strongly suspect) Definitely true in my prior campaign.

8. At least half of all super-beings seem to need a long course of psychotherapy.

- Ha, oh yeah! But I think this is actually more realistic than many things in the comics, personally. I mean, really, imagine what it would take to be a costumed vigilante with super-powers!? Definitely true in all prior campaigns.

10. Some bizarro uber-powerful race of humans that were tweaked by aliens and now either reside in secrecy on Earth or one of the nearby planets.

- More or less, yes. Not so much in my prior campaign, although a bit.

11. Parents? They: blew up/were cut to ribbons/disowned me/Died while saving me from a savage Narwhal...etc, etc.

- Surely, yup, although not really in my prior campaign. In my oldest campaign, though, it was also true.

14. Powers from Genetic Mutation manifesting during adolescence.

- Often, keeping with the X-Men theme, although we haven't explored this too much directly, but it is well-known to all and is linked to many origins. I really can't recall how much this came up in prior campaigns, it wasn't anything I thought about much.

15. "On my planet, everyone has armored skin and fires laser blasts from their fingers. Everyone who flies, that is. The ones who swim under the oceans have armored scales and fire laser blasts from the jewel embedded in their forehead, but they can still breathe in air just fine, thank you."

- Ha, yeah, a little of that, though not so much in prior campaigns.

17) PC hero is sent back in time to prevent some ugly future from occurring.

- Interestingly, this is one of the few that I did a lot in my prior campaign (as well as going forward to the future to fix something that affected the past), but have not and am not sure if I'll ever do in this campaign.

- Here's one: Atlantis is real, sits at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, and is populated with aquaman-style amphibious humans.

- Mu, not Atlantis, and it's in the Pacific. But basically, yes, that idea. Didn't do this in prior campaigns.

Backworlds seem to be popular. Whats good is bad, whats bad is good. Alternate universes in general.

- I have not done this, but I DO intend to, particularly now that we have a dimension-travelling PC.

Now, there's a near-cliche nobody brought up that is important to the background, but I can't say as it relates back to what I was saying above about something the PCs and possibly players aren't aware of. As stated, I think the players are but are letting it go for the fun of the game. But this is as much as I'll say. If you're really interested you can PM but I do want to keep it secret, that's the fun part.

13. Hero/heroine's biggest enemy happens to also be their mother/father/parental unit.

Check this one out

Enemy: I am your father

Hero: I know but *I* am also *your* father, thanks to a time travel episode a few weeks ago.

Enemy: Noooooo

The "You are your own grandfather" is a time honored cliche in any setting that allows time travel.

Speaking of alternate dimensions. How about the cliche, we're not demons we're actually creatures from another dimension that you have confused with these "demons" just because we have horns or pointed ears, bat-like wings, emit flame, an sometimes even a tail. We're just misunderstood, really.

Oh, and everyone is like that, even though some of us can mask our features using something that you would consider magic. But it makes perfect sense if you understand 7th dimension geometry.

Speaking of alternate dimensions. How about the cliche, we're not demons we're actually creatures from another dimension that you have confused with these "demons" just because we have horns or pointed ears, bat-like wings, emit flame, an sometimes even a tail. We're just misunderstood, really.

Oh, and everyone is like that, even though some of us can mask our features using something that you would consider magic. But it makes perfect sense if you understand 7th dimension geometry.

Similarly, there's the cliche of magic being abundant but somehow nobody believes in it. I have that! (PS - well maybe not "abundant" but it's not quite so rare; of course like with most cliches there's a reason for this, but, still, it is a cliche by now)

To "Proditor" Is "St Barbara" the ONLY character who has a series of costumes depending on the season ? (Summer : Two piece aerobic work out suit with utility belt and ankle length boots, Spring/autumn : Olympic style gymnast leotard plus Utility belt and boots, Winter : Warm top and tracksuit pants worn over top of summer costume). Oh yes, add anti-flash glasses to this description. All costumes have a royal blue background with bursts of colour representing fireworks explosions !

To "Kristopher" I don't think so. Summer is one of those two piece outfits that girls wear for aerobics, tight short shorts, tight top that give support but shows off a lot of skin. Spring/autumn is a one piece leotard like that worn by gymnasts at the Olympics

IIRC, those have nothing at all to cover the legs.

I don't think of a woman's "aerobics outfit" as tight short shorts.

**shrug**

It's rare' date=' IME, to see a woman do aerobics in an outfit that doesn't somehow cover her legs.[/quote']

When I was training in public gyms, I'd often see women training in outfits that didn't cover their legs. Maybe it comes down to the gym where you train?

When I was training in public gyms' date=' I'd often see women training in outfits that didn't cover their legs. Maybe it comes down to the gym where you train?[/quote']

Dunno about other gals on here, but while working out at the U of Arizona rec center, I wore a black tank top under a U-Arizona football jersey, sweatpants, and high top Converse sneakers.

Doing yoga at home, it's usually a loose t-shirt and sweat-shorts, working out barefoot.

Then again, if I had a body like Elle MacPherson or one of those chicks, I'd be wearing spandex too. But I know my limitations.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

I don't bother with the cliche's as much as I try hard to avoid making copies of existing characters. Alas... I usually fail... I played a power armored hero named Manga (Samurai motif on armor) which was an Iron Man wannabe and now I play a "Power Stone" wielding hero that is a chromatically challenged Green Lantern.

I think that it was said before.. With all the comics that are out there... it is very difficult to truly avoid all cliches ... I have found that with most characters you can point a finger back and say.... That is like ____________.

The image that I always had for that outfit was the sort of costume that you see people wearing in those "World Aerobics Championship" type competitions. While they might be wearing tights on their legs they didn't LOOK as if they were to me, hence I didn't include them. What can I say, If you've got it, flaunt it !

To "Red Knight" It IS kind of difficult to avoid characters that can be construed as "copies" of existing comic book characters. Heck the various comic companies themselves seem content to do "versions" of each others characters from time to time ! (e g "The Squadron Supreme" looks like Marvel's take on the "Justice League")

TO "Samuraiko" That's the great advantage with imaginary characters, they can have any sort of body that their creator wants ! "St Barbara" is built like an Olympic gymnast. Her creator (apart from being male) doesn't look like an Olympic anything, being middle aged and rather sedentary in my habits !

As regards the "revealing costume" clichè, I've always deemed it a more-or-less justifiable consequence of the fact that all superhumans appear to develop a perfect physique (optimized metabolism, secondary sexual feautres enhanced just to the right point, even body faculties unrelated to superpowers peaked to the levels of top athletes) as a side-effect of metahuman "awakening" (maybe the activation of the X-factor or use of superpowers optimizes metabolism) AND having superpowers likely causes a massive boost in self-confidence.

After all, how many comic book superhumans (of both genders) do you know that aren't drawn like top-tier sex symbols (the ones that are not meant to have the "rejected by humanity" and "messy social mundane life" recurring subplots, that is) ?

As regards the "revealing costume" clichè, I've always deemed it a more-or-less justifiable consequence of the fact that all superhumans appear to develop a perfect physique (optimized metabolism, secondary sexual feautres enhanced just to the right point, even body faculties unrelated to superpowers peaked to the levels of top athletes) as a side-effect of metahuman "awakening" (maybe the activation of the X-factor or use of superpowers optimizes metabolism) AND having superpowers likely causes a massive boost in self-confidence.

After all, how many comic book superhumans (of both genders) do you know that aren't drawn like top-tier sex symbols (the ones that are not meant to have the "rejected by humanity" and "messy social mundane life" recurring subplots, that is) ?

One sub-cliche that I've seen used to justify the phenomenon, at least for the classic "mutation as evolution" schtick, is the increased physical attractiveness is some kind of pushed "progressive evolution"--ie, that the mutations are on some level geared towards generating a genetic advantage.

This raises the possibility that mutants have been *created* by some force, but hey, players like mysteries.

:)

One sub-cliche that I've seen used to justify the phenomenon, at least for the classic "mutation as evolution" schtick, is the increased physical attractiveness is some kind of pushed "progressive evolution"--ie, that the mutations are on some level geared towards generating a genetic advantage.

This raises the possibility that mutants have been *created* by some force, but hey, players like mysteries.

:)

The most amusing riff I saw on this was a comic that said that the skin-tight costumes tended to mildly stimulate the supers' erogenous zones, which optimized their physical capabilities(i.e., being mildly horny makes you a stronger super) Can't remember the series--there was a superman ripoff called Victor(whose secret ID was a gym rat), and a woman wearing a green costume.

The most amusing riff I saw on this was a comic that said that the skin-tight costumes tended to mildly stimulate the supers' erogenous zones' date=' which optimized their physical capabilities(i.e., being mildly horny makes you a stronger super) Can't remember the series--there was a superman ripoff called Victor(whose secret ID was a gym rat), and a woman wearing a green costume.[/quote'] The comic was Hero Alliance (from Innovation, I believe). The perpetually passionate green-garbed girl in question was named Golden Guard.

It was a halfway decent comic, but it was bogged down with too much fanservice (say it with me now - fanboy fantasy outfits) and angsty grimngrit. (I preferred Sentry from the team's line-up, myself.)