OIF for Powered Armor why?

Lord Beavis

Re: OIF for Powered Armor why?

Exactly, that what is being discussed. Toolkit or alternate rule. I e-mailed the members of the group about this, and I have received positive feedback. We only have one powered armor guy, and even said, "Yeah, what's the problem??"

We have discussed this previously and he had plenty of time to think about it.

What "alternate rule" are we discussing? Battlesuit -1/2 (which simply names OIF and actually makes it less disadvantageous?) Get all the limits of OIF for no point savings? "All powered armor must be OIF", which your player should logically care about only if he wasn't planning on his being OIF?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What "alternate rule" are we discussing? Battlesuit -1/2 (which simply names OIF and actually makes it less disadvantageous?) Get all the limits of OIF for no point savings? "All powered armor must be OIF"' date=' which your player should logically care about only if he wasn't planning on his being OIF?[/quote']

Ok, I'm starting a betting pool--how long till Hugh's head explodes while trying to get a coherent explanation out of LB?

What "alternate rule" are we discussing? Battlesuit -1/2 (which simply names OIF and actually makes it less disadvantageous?) Get all the limits of OIF for no point savings? "All powered armor must be OIF"' date=' which your player should logically care about only if he wasn't planning on his being OIF?[/quote']

I just want to echo that I am also confused. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, LB, but your lack of specificity is hard to understand, we don't know you well enough to read between the lines.

We only have one powered armor guy, and even said, "Yeah, what's the problem??"

If he doesn't have a problem with it, then there isn't a problem. Its your game and you can do whatever you want. It is really much less of a change than most of the house rules I play under.

I must say, however, if I was faced with that on character creation, my power armor would quickly turn into an alien artifact that fell from the sky...

I must say' date=' however, if I was faced with that on character creation, my power armor would quickly turn into an alien artifact that fell from the sky...[/quote']

From this perspective the last half of the old War Machine series actually makes alot more sense.

Ok' date=' I'm starting a betting pool--how long till Hugh's head explodes while trying to get a [i']coherent [/i] explanation out of LB?

Actually, he's very coherent. He clearly does not want to detail, specifically, what his objections are, or what solution he proposes.

Actually' date=' he's very coherent. He clearly does not want to detail, specifically, what his objections are, or what solution he proposes.[/quote']I am somewhat reluctantly coming to the conclusion that LB never actually had any solid objections to OIF-based powered armor, nor any solutions. I think he threw it out as a topic of discussion figuring others shared his vague misgivings, only to find that no one else actually did and that he had rapidly painted himself into a corner on the topic. Witness his quick "out the door!!!" dismissals to anyone who asked him substantive questions about his ideas. The few tidbits of his supposed proposal to "fix" powered armor amount to no more than actually enforcing the OIF rules.

I don't know if LB is some new kind of troll, or (more likely) someone who just can't admit when they might be in error. What I do think is that he's not someone to take seriously, at least on this issue.

I am somewhat reluctantly coming to the conclusion that LB never actually had any solid objections to OIF-based powered armor, nor any solutions. I think he threw it out as a topic of discussion figuring others shared his vague misgivings, only to find that no one else actually did and that he had rapidly painted himself into a corner on the topic. Witness his quick "out the door!!!" dismissals to anyone who asked him substantive questions about his ideas. The few tidbits of his supposed proposal to "fix" powered armor amount to no more than actually enforcing the OIF rules.

I don't know if LB is some new kind of troll, or (more likely) someone who just can't admit when they might be in error. What I do think is that he's not someone to take seriously, at least on this issue.

I actually feel resposible for this. It only started after I posted some of my players' characters in another thread. He started posting his OIF opinion in there and then came this thread. He has some interersting ideas, but more suited for a real world-type or Dark Champions-like game.

John

I actually feel resposible for this. It only started after I posted some of my players' characters in another thread. He started posting his OIF opinion in there and then came this thread. He has some interersting ideas' date=' but more suited for a real world-type or Dark Champions-like game.[/quote']I hardly think you should blame yourself. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to play HERO except what works best for your group. None of LB's ideas were stupid; just kind of pointless given that enforcing OIF LImitations on powered armor accomplishes pretty much everything he feels is necessary. I simply can't see any valid reason to rewrite the rules in order to accomplish the exact same thing as proper enforcement of existing rules. It's unneeded expenditure of effort. There's just no reason to reinvent the wheel. It seems LB's experience with powered armor differs markedly from most of the other people who participated in this thread.

Now obviously I can't speak for every campaign out there, but in those campaigns where I either played or GM'd characters with powered armor things like minor malfunctions, difficulty and delays putting it on, and performing regular maintenance were all part of the schtick of wearing iron long johns instead of spandex ones. :)