Is this a valid Acid Gun?

crayadder

Hey there all, I am trying to build an acid gun that will fire pellets, which will last for a minute after contact with the target. Simple, I know, I just seem to have a bit of an issue getting around the effect of putting continuous (+1) and persistant (+1/2) on a weapon with charges. Here ist the weapon in question. I want to know if it will do what I want as it is now or do I have to change it? Thanks. :)

Acid Pellet Gun: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (105 Active Points); OAF (Focus: Assault Gun; -1), Only In Heroic Identity (Only in Robotic Form; -1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4)

Guest The Comet

Re: Is this a valid Acid Gun?

Could also go the route of buying a huge RKA with the gradual effect limit.

As in what gets thru the defences is applied over a period of time and not straight away? Good idea but then you may have too big a RKA for the GMs' liking. It would make an awful mess of someone without defences.

Having a great big glob of acid shot into their guts should make an awful mess of someone, though.

The advantage of going with the big gradual effect is that there doesnt have to be a reasonably common and obvious set of circumstances which will turn it off. If you're uncomfortable with the great big gradual effect's increased ability to penetrate heavy armor, buy most of it as dependent on the initial portion doing body.

Diluting it by immersion in water? Washing it off?

If it were an acid spray, sure. But this is an acid filled capsule shot into the body that then shatters/explodes. Immersion inst going to work at all since the acid isnt on the surface, and washing it off is pretty impractical since access to the area to be washed consists of a 0.45" (or less) hole.

If it were an acid spray' date=' sure. But this is an acid filled capsule shot into the body that then shatters/explodes. Immersion inst going to work at all since the acid isnt on the surface, and washing it off is pretty impractical since access to the area to be washed consists of a 0.45" (or less) hole.[/quote']

That's pretty picayune IMO. I would say that since it's acid, standard acid countermeasures should work.

That's pretty picayune IMO. I would say that since it's acid' date=' standard acid countermeasures should work.[/quote']

If you want to assume that wound flushing kits are as available as water in your campaign world, that's your business. But that's pretty silly IMO.

If you want to assume that wound flushing kits are as available as water in your campaign world' date=' that's your business. But that's pretty silly I[i']M[/i]O.

Actually, I think your definition of the attack is pretty tough to swallow. The attack automatically penetrates the skin of its target, and then the capsule breaks? So it's tough enough to get through, say, Grond's hide, rather than bounce off, but then it breaks on the inside?

If I were presented with the construct as a GM, I'd be reluctant to allow that particular effect as being "more appropriate" than an acid spray, or a capsule that breaks on contact with the skin, or close enough to the surface for ordinary acid countermeasures to be effective.

Maybe the original poster can give us a clarification - as I read his post, "pellets which will last for a minute after contact with the target" could be read to mean acid on the surface of the skin, rather than lodged 6" deep in the target's body.

Remeber Continuing Charges gives uncontrolled for free

I would dump persistant, but up the continuing charges

OIHID and OAF should not normaly be combined (as a GM I MAY ALLOW IT if I get a free Pizza, a good explanation, and a lot of begging)

Actually, I think your definition of the attack is pretty tough to swallow. The attack automatically penetrates the skin of its target, and then the capsule breaks? So it's tough enough to get through, say, Grond's hide, rather than bounce off, but then it breaks on the inside?

If I were presented with the construct as a GM, I'd be reluctant to allow that particular effect as being "more appropriate" than an acid spray, or a capsule that breaks on contact with the skin, or close enough to the surface for ordinary acid countermeasures to be effective.

Maybe the original poster can give us a clarification - as I read his post, "pellets which will last for a minute after contact with the target" could be read to mean acid on the surface of the skin, rather than lodged 6" deep in the target's body.

I read it as pellets lodged 6" deep in the body, and didnt really worry about just how he was going to get them there. He is putting the gun on a powered armor suit that is almost certainly 'supertech' as opposed to anything 'realistic'.

If he's just shooting pellets that will pretty much always break on the surface, why bother defining them as pellets at all, instead of just saying the gun shoots globs of highly acidic goo. If he is shooting weak capsules that break on first contact with pretty much any solid material, then the acid would certainly be on the surface and be easily washed off.

As for getting through Grond's hide, I do believe I suggested that the majority of the damage be dependent on the first bit of it doing body (ie penetrating the target's defences) which, unless Grond's hide is only about DEF 6, shoudl keep ol' Grondy safe.

As to how the pellets might penetrate then explode, that would be a matter of putting a itty bitty bursting charge in it, with a eensy time delay fuse that kept if from exploding for just long enough that it could go about 6" (max) after hitting anything semi-solid. Just like a wee little artillery shell. OR he could make the thing a great big syringe firing dart gun, like they use to tranquilize elephants, only this one is filled with acid instead of tranquilizer. If the needle (the initial damage) does body, it sticks in the target long enough for the pneumatically or explosively depressed plunger on a wee time delay (again) to push all the acid in. Agian, grond would be safe if his DEF were high enough that the needle wouldnt penetrate.

Personally, I'd probably go with the Elephant Tranquilizer Dart method, as I wouldnt think anything small enough to fit into a regular sized gun would carry enough acid to really justify a full minute of damage, which will probably total up to near enough to put a normal into "dying" state.

Acid Dart Gun :

1D6 RKA - Great Big Herkin' Dart (maybe a 6 gauge!)

+

3D6+1 RKA - Acid contents

____Graual Effect - 1 Minute (1/2 D6 Per turn, or 1 body every phase 6 & 12)

____Only if 1D6 Needle does body.

If he's just shooting pellets that will pretty much always break on the surface' date=' why bother defining them as pellets at all, instead of just saying the gun shoots globs of highly acidic goo.[/quote']

Because pellets are easier to reload?

I do believe I suggested that the majority of the damage be dependent on the first bit of it doing body (ie penetrating the target's defences)

Such a limitation would be enough for me to buy into the logic of the power (though there still needs to be a way to stop the continuing damage by the rules - or a further advantage should be required). I don't recall a reference to needing BOD from the initial hit, but it could be there (I didn't review the rest of the thread, just the first post, when I replied last).

To clarify, per quote - "Maybe the original poster can give us a clarification - as I read his post, "pellets which will last for a minute after contact with the target" could be read to mean acid on the surface of the skin, rather than lodged 6" deep in the target's body." - Hugh Neilson.

I did mean for it to be a capsule that breaks upon contact with the target surface. The capsule is for special effects purpose as I am developing Prowl's gun from the Autobots.

As for the OIHID and OAF, the purpose for OIHID is that the gun is only available to Prowl while in Robot form and the OAF is for Prowl's ability to lose posession of his gun, as is depicted of many transformers in the cartoon.

Question: Should I use the continuing advantage itself or the continuing charges adder to charges? Right now I have charges with the more expensive Continuing advantage that can be applied to general powers.

Oh, yeah. I did want it wash offable by water, otherwise, given the uncontrolled and continuous, it would not stop till the target was dead, which has never happened, to my knowledge, in the cartoon or comics. :winkgrin:

As for the OIHID and OAF' date=' the purpose for OIHID is that the gun is only available to Prowl while in Robot form and the OAF is for Prowl's ability to lose posession of his gun, as is depicted of many transformers in the cartoon.[/quote']

I would stick with just OAF. Foci and OIHID generally do not combine. Having the gun likely ID's him as being in heroic ID anyway. YM (and your GM's views) MV.

Question: Should I use the continuing advantage itself or the continuing charges adder to charges? Right now I have charges with the more expensive Continuing advantage that can be applied to general powers.

I would use continuing charges. Continuous and Uncontrolled (to me) are intended for powers which do not have charges, but last a while after initial use.

Oh' date=' yeah. I did want it wash offable by water, otherwise, given the uncontrolled and continuous, it would not stop till the target was dead, which has never happened, to my knowledge, in the cartoon or comics. :winkgrin:[/quote']

Continuing charges takes care of this to some extent as the acid will stop after the "continuing" period expires.

Such a limitation would be enough for me to buy into the logic of the power (though there still needs to be a way to stop the continuing damage by the rules - or a further advantage should be required). I don't recall a reference to needing BOD from the initial hit, but it could be there (I didn't review the rest of the thread, just the first post, when I replied last).

'Gradual Effect' isnt Continuing damage and doesn't require a way to stop it. A 5d6 Gradual (1 minute) Killing Attack is still a 5D6 attack, only its effect is spread over a whole minute instead of happening all at once. A Continuous attack that does 1D6 per turn for 5 turns is not a 5D6 attack, but a series of 1D6 attacks. Stripping the modifiers from each attack would make the formerly gradual effect attack a straight 5D6, and the formerly continuous attack a mere 1D6.

5D6 RKA (Gradual 1 minute (-1/2), 7 End per shot)= 75 active, 50 real.

1D6 RKA (Continuous (+1), 3 End per pulse) = 30 Active, 30 real.

Oh, and the original posted did come back and clarify that he intended pellets/capsules that break on the surface, so continuous/uncontrolled or continuous/continuing charges (both of which DO require a reasonably obvious 'turn off' method) is the way to go.

I did not realize I needed to buy continuous to open the continuous charges option in charges! Expensive :jawdrop:

The problem with OAF only on the gun is that, while in vehicle mode, it can still be attacked, which is not supposed to be possible since it disappears during transformation. :nonp:

Good conversation btw :cheers:

The problem with OAF only on the gun is that' date=' while in vehicle mode, it can still be attacked, which is not supposed to be possible since it disappears during transformation. :nonp: [/quote']

Ummm...so you want an additional -1/4 limitation because your gun is LESS accessible to be targeted by attacks? Maybe that should be an "OAF sometimes" focus and get a -1/2 or -3/4 limitation instead of the usual -1.