Make the GLA legit!

Enforcer84

Okay, since I heard through the grape vine that the Great Lakes Avengers are getting a mini series of their own, what would you do to make these guys worthy of their own series?

Would you change their abilities? Add/subtract Members?

For those who can't remember or have never heard of them; the GLA consists of:

Mr. Immortal - a martial artist who comes back from the dead. Dying is what he does best! When he reawakens, he's berserk and has to be calmed down by...

Dina Soar - incapable of speech, this reptlilan woman has subsonic vocal powers that can calm the angered, she also can fly by way of her wings

Flat Man - a Mr Fantastic clone for the most part. His schtick is that he's stuck at about 4" thick.

Doorman - he can fly (slowly) and his body can be used to access what ever he touches. He's basically a human sized teleportation portal. His range is limited to what ever he's touching though.

Big Bertha - a supermodel who transforms into a gigantically fat woman with superhuman strength, resiliance and leaping ability.

well, can this hero team be saved?

Re: Make the GLA legit!

Humm. Bunch of one trick ponies, not a decent energy projector among the lot.

Bertha's a decent brick, and I like female bricks.

Flat Man. For that the power has been done-to-death, Plastic Man forward, still effective powers. Just a new codename.

Mr. Immortal. Buy off the "berserks after being resurected" disad. Establish that it's a Wolverine-like healing ability, without the slightly enhanced strength, senses, or bad attitude that normally go along with being Saber-blood. Evolve a martial arts form with side effects. If he breaks his arm while breaking his opponent's arm, who's going to come back more quickly? Need I say a new code name?

Doorman. Expand into full Darkforce suite of powers, flight, EB, FF/Force Wall, maybe some teleportation. New Code name.

We now have a brick, two decent martial artist, and an energy projector. Now Dina Soar. Go with a gender switched copy of X-Men villian Saron. Telepathy, mind control, maybe illusions, and a "drain life" ability (Transfer, Stun to END pool that powers mentalist multipower. New Code Name.

Mr. Immortal is fine the way he is, but he can certainly use the improvements McCoy mentioned.

Dina has to go entirely. Replace her with Cannonball. Or maybe Songbird.

The fat chick is fine. I would tone down the cvartoony way they draw her, make her look more like a real woman. And a new codename is mandatory here too.

Doorman doesn't need a whole new suite of powers, just perhaps some TK abilities (like Raven from Teen Titans).

And a couple-three new heroes wouldn't hurt- the other Avengers teams have seven menbers.

They all need personalities.

Dina is an energy projector in the same manner Banshee of the X-Men is.

And like Alpha Flight, John Byrne wrote them as a one trick pony. IMHO anyone using them for more then a joke is proving how bad of a writer they are because they can't create a team of their own to use in the book.

And like Alpha Flight, John Byrne wrote them as a one trick pony. IMHO anyone using them for more then a joke is proving how bad of a writer they are because they can't create a team of their own to use in the book.

Maybe, but Byrne turned Alpha Flight into an excellent team book, so it can be done. As for the other part of your comment, it's the way that I feel about Whedon's current run on X-Men :stupid:

I think the mini is going for humor. I wanted to evolve them for fun.

Thank you. Did not remember that, and Enforcer84's capsule summary did not mention it. But the group needs a mentalist, and as she is already shown manipulation emotions, she's the best choice.

Am I the only one who took the challenge seriously?

Okay: My thoughts

Mr Immortal: New costume, new name (The Immortal would be good). Some MA training, and I like the idea of expanding his Regen to make it a all the time type of thing. Keep the death rage however

Doorman: Doorman would become able to seperate into two beings, each a portal to the other, new name would be Passage.

Dianne Soar: She would start expanding her sonic powers to include forms of mind control and other sonic effects. She would also start to shape shift into a full teredactly and eventualy be able to change into a normal human, new name Soar

Big Bertha: Actualy except for a costume change, and a more serious rendering of her (less cartoony) i would keep the same

Flat Man: NEW COSTUME, NEW LOOK, powers: He is PERFECTLY FLAT IN ONE DIRECTION, meaning that his edges should be as sharp as the sharpest blade, his resistance to damage would actualy be considerable, again he needs a new name, and on this one I am a little stumped...

Flat Man: NEW COSTUME' date=' NEW LOOK, powers: He is PERFECTLY FLAT IN ONE DIRECTION, meaning that his edges should be as sharp as the sharpest blade, his resistance to damage would actualy be considerable, again he needs a new name, and on this one I am a little stumped...[/quote']

2-D

Axis (as in X-Y)

*yawns* too early in the morning for this kind of thinking...

John T

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Skaramine

Thank you. Did not remember that, and Enforcer84's capsule summary did not mention it. But the group needs a mentalist, and as she is already shown manipulation emotions, she's the best choice.

Am I the only one who took the challenge seriously?

Well, I think her "mentalism" is more like hypnotic subvocals. No Ego defense or mental awareness... but that can always be modified.

It would take away from her being mute, however.

Can no one keep a decent "non-humanoid" female looking non-human? I'm really pulling for her to become successful and popular because she and Bertha are the only Marvel superheroines who don't look like they need to be portrayed by Jessica Alba or Sandra Bullock.

Guest Skaramine

Not an update' date=' but part of the ad campaign... issue one has blazing across it's cover "In This Issue Someone Dies!!!!! besides Mr Immortal, Duh."[/quote']

Someone died in a whole bunch of Batman and Elongated Man stories.

Of course, they were murder mysteries...

:angel::whistle:

Flat Man: NEW COSTUME' date=' NEW LOOK, powers: He is PERFECTLY FLAT IN ONE DIRECTION, meaning that his edges should be as sharp as the sharpest blade, his resistance to damage would actualy be considerable, again he needs a new name, and on this one I am a little stumped...[/quote']

Stanley!