unexpected depth to the story - er, suggestions welcome

hawkfu

Hi,

I have been running a simple little adventure designed to get our characters fighting just about every villian I could throw at them. The set up is that Foxbat has invited/challenged the supervillain community to prove themselves and see who deserves the title of "second best supervillain", since he himself obviously is THE Best. To add motivation, he has offered a cash prize of $2,000,000 to the winner. They have a week to earn points by doing things like: destruction of public property, humiliating police, humiliating Until, and most importantly, defeating the heroes in a public display of power. This has brought the more small time villains out of the woodwork. It was all going so well, until...

Last night I ran the latest (3rd session) in the story. So far it's been full of fights, ambush, and general mayhem. Well, they finally caught up with Foxbat and brought their frustration and anger right to him. However, things took a suprising turn for the players and most especially for ME, when Foxbat revealed that he actually had nothing to do with any of this. He suggested that the heroes were being played by someone.

I didn't actually plan that. It was a spur of the moment thought that popped up and just jumped right out of my mouth. Now I find myself needing to back it up. So if the contest is in fact a massive distraction meant to keep law enforcement agencies and the heros busy, who set it up? And more importantly, WHY?

Hawkfu

Re: unexpected depth to the story - er, suggestions welcome

What you are describing might make in interesting prelude to the Champions: Battlegrounds adventure. Just remove the first act of the adventure and assume the competition to this point is the first act.

Another suggestion might be that Black Harlequin is behind it as he's looking for a way to discredit Foxbat for some "loony" comments made by him, and it's also a way to create some chaos.

Perhaps the chaos caused by all the fighting and crime were part of a DEMON spell that needed the negative emotions from those events for it to work.

Maybe Steel Commando, not being the best of assassin's corp., has been hired to kill one of the players and was lazy and thought he'd use the other villains to loosen up the hero.

Perhaps it's a whole new villain called Anarchy who's some insane millionaire who just gets his kicks out of it and used Foxbat because he didn't think anyone would take it as seriously.

Maybe it really is Foxbat and he doesn't know he did it because he's being mind controlled by Mentalla or some other female mentalist he wooed.

Those are the few I can think of right now. I hope something might spark some imagination in you.

Actually, the story is similar to "The Great Supervillian Contest". One of the first scenario books for Champs. Kind of like Contest of Champions and a few other comic story arcs.

Of course, it could really of been Foxbat all along and he just came up with the story to keep his dental records.

You could take this as an opportunity to add some depth to Foxbat's character -- come up with his archenemy (his half-brother, separated at birth, turned to crime out of envy of Foxbat's notoriety? or a vengeful ex-girlfriend?), and have him responsible for the whole thing. Maybe using equipment and costume stolen from Foxbat.

The $2 ,000,000 is the key for me. Sort of a Two-Face kind of thing.

The Double is behind it all. He's able to take on the form and ability of any one he meets. (One person at a time, must be most recent person). He ran into Foxbat previously, took on his ID unbeknownst to the 'bat. Now he's doing this contest in order to find the best, most powerful villain in the world (that wouldn't just kill him outright, like Dr. D) and take on their powers. The contest is just a ruse to a) sort out which villain is best suited to "Double" and B) arrange for the meeting with the "payoff". If the heroes wind up being too effective against the villains, he can just let them track him down and "Double" the team's most powerful member.

The Double is behind it all. He's able to take on the form and ability of any one he meets. (One person at a time, must be most recent person). He ran into Foxbat previously, took on his ID unbeknownst to the 'bat. Now he's doing this contest in order to find the best, most powerful villain in the world (that wouldn't just kill him outright, like Dr. D) and take on their powers. The contest is just a ruse to a) sort out which villain is best suited to "Double" and B) arrange for the meeting with the "payoff". If the heroes wind up being too effective against the villains, he can just let them track him down and "Double" the team's most powerful member.

**Applause** I really like this idea! I would Rep you, but I have given you Rep recently and can't.

**Applause** I really like this idea! I would Rep you' date=' but I have given you Rep recently and can't.[/quote']

I got him. (Not that should stop anyone else from repping him)

Nice idea Supreme Serpent. very comic booky.

The story can end with the PC's shaking their heads as two Foxbats wrassle around on the floor with each other, bantering nonsense to each other.

RL

Is it absolutely, positively a must that someone other than Foxbat is behind this? Is it not possible that he tricked the PCs? I personally would say Foxbat is behind it and he hires a mentalist as a lacky/sidekick. Then, when the PCs beat said mentalist, Foxbat -after planning this in advance- plops to his knees, holds his head and mutters "I'm... free. I'm... finally... free. Thank you, heroes! Thank you! How long has so-and-so been controlling me? Is it still December?"

The PCs might just think that Foxbat was coerced and controlled and let him go. All a part of Foxbat's Master Plan (TM) to not get captured. :snicker:

If you like The Double concept, but wish a better/different name, I can suggest:

Doppleganger (great D&D nostalgia)

Simulacrum

Copy

Copycat

Duplicate

Carbon Copy

Facsimile

Immitator

Also, there is a villain called Masquerade (sp?) that you could possibly use for this.

It's a little cynical, but maybe the local PRIMUS office or another agency

orchestrated this citywide fiasco to validate their budget and a possible increase in it.

The whole humiliating the heroes and police angle would elevate Primus' role when they swoop in like the cavalry and "fix things".

It's a little cynical, but maybe the local PRIMUS office or another agency

orchestrated this citywide fiasco to validate their budget and a possible increase in it.

The whole humiliating the heroes and police angle would elevate Primus' role when they swoop in like the cavalry and "fix things".

Oooh! Now this one I like! I would make it just one rogue agent, a mid-level director afraid of layoffs.

As for the Double idea, I wouldn't give him a name at all. He's done this so often he doesn't remember who he really is anymore. In fact, he may believe he IS Foxbat! That'd be fun if you had a mentalist on the team who could detect lies!

Supervillain

Foxbat is being used by an experienced team of villains (like eurostar) to create a diversion. A major event that was going to happen in the city is changed to another city, because of security concerns. The second city has no superheroes, and will make the villains job easier.

Political

Foxbat is being used by the Vice PResident of the United States, who is trying to divert the media's attention away from his own scandal.

Alien

The little voice inside Fovbat's head that tells him what to do isn't actually Thomas Magnum, but an alien transmitter. The aliens are conducting tests to see who is the most powerful...that person will be abducted, cloned multiple times, and used to fight the evil clone armies of the evil alien empire. (Foxbat's aliens are the "good guys"

Criminal

The local mafia Don wants all these nosisy supervillains out of the way, they are bad for business. He is having them commit crimes so they will get beaten up and hauled off to jail, so he can go back to corrupting local law enforcement in peace.

Dimensional

Foxbat is being upstaged by...Foxbat. Yes, Foxbat from an alternate version of Earth, who has stolden a dimensional people mover. this is an excellent oppertunity to introduce alternate versions of the players, who come searching for Foxbat #2. (and haul back Foxbat #1, of course)

Mystical

Foxbat is being taught a lesson in humility by Loki.

Heh, I like the dimensional one; it opens up a whole new can of worms. "Yes, I am Foxbat, but I didn't commit any of *these* crimes. I'm from an alternate dimension and I don't believe you have jurisdiction there. :nya: Now, if you could find a way to get me back there, I'd appreciate it; the heroes on that side weren't quite as smart as y'all are [hitting on their pride], as is evidence by them taking this dimension's Foxbat. In fact, IF you are truely superheroes, you would try to retreive your Foxbat since they abducted him!

"Wait? Abducted him! Why, yes, I'm a *good* Foxbat, did I forget to mention that? Those are your duplicate evils apparently. You must go save him from that tyranny.

"What do you mean you don't buy it? Okay, okay, but I am still free from committing any crimes here and they did abscond -oh, that's a nice Foxbat word, you should use it some time- abscond, I say, with your Foxbat who is innocent in their dimension. True shame, really."

But ah, another thing this could be is an elaborate diversion while a Stronghold prison break is going on. Or perhaps Stronghold has already been broken into, but the people in charge are trying to keep it hush-hush since no one has noticed or thought of this yet.

Okay, one last one.

Foxbat paid someone to clone himself. Foxbat is pretending this clone is from another dimension. Perhaps whoever cloned FB made it so the clone wouldn't mind going to jail as much? Or, perhaps the clone is truly evil and that's why the "nicer, friendly version" of Foxbat says he didn't do it. Perhaps he can "team up" or "assist" the heroes (whether they like it or not) to 'clear his name from all this taint.'

Then, Foxbat can try to pin *all* of his crimes on the clone. If it works, the real Foxbat may just lay low, become a good guy (after all, he has a clean slate), or masquerade as a new villain. One that no one would suspect him of being. Perhaps.... Batfox!

Foxbat organised it then operated on his own brain so he wouldn't remember organising it in case the heroes caught him and used telepathy or something equally fiendish, like direct questioning.

Obviously, being Foxbat, he hasn't thought this all the way through, so when the most powerful villain turns up to collect his money, Foxbat can't even remember having the money or where he might have left it.

Cue Foxbat being chased all over town by The Annihilator (or whoever) and having to be rescued by the heroes.

Then he goes home and finds $2,000,000 in his sock drawer...just what he needs to finance his next hare-brained scheme...

• 1 month later...

Hey, thanks for asking. Actually I decided on the idea posted

early in the thread involving Demon harvesting chaos energy from the

mayhem created from the contest. Unfortunately I haven't been able to finish the story because the group fell apart due to schedule conflicts.

I'm gonna have to try this again another time.

Hawkfu