Super Day Jobs

Super Squirrel

Re: Super Day Jobs

Not sure I follow you....

the hero has a Public Identity. part of that is knowing who he is and WHERE to find him. If he has a job, it would also be public.

Ideas:

Police -- he'd be a great SWAT officer

Stunt Man/Actor -- already a celebrity

Military

Corporate Test Subject/Guard

Not all heroes even worry about this. Heck, look at the champions:

Defender - CEO of Harmon Aerospace

Nighthawk - Independently Financially Secure

Sapphire - Pop Singer/Actress/Model

Witchcraft - No visible means of support (maybe she conjures it out of her Minor Witcheries?)

Obsidian - No visible means of support

Look, the whole concept of a secret identity is more than a little implausible. It's very much a golden/silver/bronze age thing which is grounded in something other than realism. Don't worry about the mechanics of it. Just assume that they've gone through the paperwork. Figures like the Martian Manhunter manage to set up secret identities somehow, the details don't matter.

Look' date=' the whole concept of a secret identity is more than a little implausible. It's very much a golden/silver/bronze age thing which is grounded in something other than realism. Don't worry about the mechanics of it. Just assume that they've gone through the paperwork. Figures like the Martian Manhunter manage to set up secret identities somehow, the details don't matter.[/quote']

It worked for me.

In the CU, it is assumed that you can own property and work a job in you secret ID. You may need to register with the governement, but if I remember correctly the Secret ID is concidered pseudo-legal, if you are an established superhero.

After all, if you can testify in court with a mask on, you should be able to get a job. :D

(Note: I am writing this from memory, so i may not have all my facts right.)

the question was unclear to begin with.

Basically, my character woke up in the lowest level of Troy, which was being excavated. She had been asleep for a couple thousand years. She has since come to the US, joined a super team, and become a citizen of the United States. She also has a secret ID, and very good reasons for wanting no one to know of her secret ID. She wants that ID to be a legal person so that, in that persona, she can get a job, earn money, pay taxes, without anyone ever suspecting she's also this somewhat controversial superhero.

So how does one legally set up an alternate identity with ID, a social security number, etc?

Is there an established way in the Champions Universe? Or can Josh and I make it up?

Look' date=' the whole concept of a secret identity is more than a little implausible. It's very much a golden/silver/bronze age thing which is grounded in something other than realism. Don't worry about the mechanics of it. Just assume that they've gone through the paperwork. Figures like the Martian Manhunter manage to set up secret identities somehow, the details don't matter.[/quote']

I'm not asking how to run it in game. I'm asking is there a way that a Super could get a day job with a Secret ID legally? One of my characters has a high level of respect for the law and wants to have a day job under a secret id. She wants to get this day job legally.

How the hell did someone who's been asleep for a thousand years even have an inkling of understanding today's society?!?!!?! Much less get US citizenship?!?! English wasn't even a language during her heyday. At best, she could get a green card, especially if gov't types are pulling strings for her due to her superpowered nature.

But here's a couple of ways. She DOESN'T have a legitimate job, she is paid under the table. Illegal immigrants do it every day in this country.

But legally? Realistically it would take 10-12 years of work visa, green card.. then citizenship all under the assumed immigrant identity. Or she marries an american and circumnavigates some of the hassle. Or the gov't has pulled major strings.... but the problem with the gov't is that there will be a paper trail unless this is the most covert of ops... and if there is a paper trail, her reasons for wanting a "secret ID" might be discovered.

the question was unclear to begin with.

Basically, my character woke up in the lowest level of Troy, which was being excavated. She had been asleep for a couple thousand years. She has since come to the US, joined a super team, and become a citizen of the United States. She also has a secret ID, and very good reasons for wanting no one to know of her secret ID. She wants that ID to be a legal person so that, in that persona, she can get a job, earn money, pay taxes, without anyone ever suspecting she's also this somewhat controversial superhero.

So how does one legally set up an alternate identity with ID, a social security number, etc?

Is there an established way in the Champions Universe? Or can Josh and I make it up?

The witness protection program does this sort of thing. So does the CIA, and other departments in certain rare cases. Buy the deep cover perk, maybe at 3 points rather than 2; the government knows who you really are, but has granted you a new name, your own SS#, and other state witness perks. In exchange, you will be expected to be available for the needs of the department you went through. In a world with Supers, it's a reasonable idea; Superhumans have value.

I'm not asking how to run it in game. I'm asking is there a way that a Super could get a day job with a Secret ID legally? One of my characters has a high level of respect for the law and wants to have a day job under a secret id. She wants to get this day job legally.

I'm not trying to hack on y'all, but this is the most confusing request I've seen in a while. I can't figure out exactly what the story is.

Okay, going by what OWofSS said, she's already a citizen of the US, right? I can only assume that she now has legal identity in the US, complete with Social Security number and everything.

Now, in addition to this legal identity--presumably her "superhero self"--she wants a secret identity, correct? But she wants it legal?

Probably not gonna happen. There's no way the government will sponsor dual identities for a citizen. A government employee requiring serious security measures (spies and the like), maybe, but not a standard citizen. The witness protection program wouldn't apply here because she wants to use both identities, and they wouldn't allow that, either.

I'd say to RP a brief interlude where the individual gets "hooked up" with some streetwise individual who gets her a birth certificate and social security number, and she can then go get a driver's license (with picture), establish some identity, and go from there.

But I'd make it cost points.

I'm not trying to hack on y'all, but this is the most confusing request I've seen in a while. I can't figure out exactly what the story is.

Okay, going by what OWofSS said, she's already a citizen of the US, right? I can only assume that she now has legal identity in the US, complete with Social Security number and everything.

Now, in addition to this legal identity--presumably her "superhero self"--she wants a secret identity, correct? But she wants it legal?

Probably not gonna happen. There's no way the government will sponsor dual identities for a citizen. A government employee requiring serious security measures (spies and the like), maybe, but not a standard citizen. The witness protection program wouldn't apply here because she wants to use both identities, and they wouldn't allow that, either.

I'd say to RP a brief interlude where the individual gets "hooked up" with some streetwise individual who gets her a birth certificate and social security number, and she can then go get a driver's license (with picture), establish some identity, and go from there.

But I'd make it cost points.

I mostly agree with Vanguard00 on the details; however, I could see it working if she were in fact a government sponsored Super.

I mostly agree with Vanguard00 on the details; however' date=' I could see it working if she were in fact a government sponsored Super.[/quote']

If she became "super spy" she might get to pull it off, but that'd come with a whole mess o' disads.

Otherwise I can't see a reason for the government to give her two seperate identities knowing there's a third one (the "mask").

How the hell did someone who's been asleep for a thousand years even have an inkling of understanding today's society?!?!!?! Much less get US citizenship?!?! English wasn't even a language during her heyday. At best, she could get a green card, especially if gov't types are pulling strings for her due to her superpowered nature.

But here's a couple of ways. She DOESN'T have a legitimate job, she is paid under the table. Illegal immigrants do it every day in this country.

But legally? Realistically it would take 10-12 years of work visa, green card.. then citizenship all under the assumed immigrant identity. Or she marries an american and circumnavigates some of the hassle. Or the gov't has pulled major strings.... but the problem with the gov't is that there will be a paper trail unless this is the most covert of ops... and if there is a paper trail, her reasons for wanting a "secret ID" might be discovered.

It's been a few months. And she learns FAST. Also, another party member has invested a lot of money into getting her some very knowledgeable tutors.

The one pulling the strings was the POTUS himself. She helped out his daughters in a very sticky situation and is keeping her mouth shut on the matter without even being asked. In exchange, she's a US citizen.

Now, in a world where supers are common and a lot are on the up-and-up, and many of these upstanding citizens have friends and family to protect, I find it hard to believe that the government hasn't found a way to co-register the super's secret and public ID's, so that the government knows who they are, but it's nearly impossible for anyone outside that department to find out.

I can't imagine all those heroes going through the black market for this sort of thing. Especially not the ones who follow the letter of the law to a T.

It's been a few months. And she learns FAST. Also, another party member has invested a lot of money into getting her some very knowledgeable tutors.

The one pulling the strings was the POTUS himself. She helped out his daughters in a very sticky situation and is keeping her mouth shut on the matter without even being asked. In exchange, she's a US citizen.

Now, in a world where supers are common and a lot are on the up-and-up, and many of these upstanding citizens have friends and family to protect, I find it hard to believe that the government hasn't found a way to co-register the super's secret and public ID's, so that the government knows who they are, but it's nearly impossible for anyone outside that department to find out.

I can't imagine all those heroes going through the black market for this sort of thing. Especially not the ones who follow the letter of the law to a T.

Okay, wait...now we're back to just the two identities: superhero and secret ID, right? Just those two?

Yeah. She has a real name' date=' too, but she's not keeping that a secret.[/quote']

If it's just "Ms.Miracle" and the government created identity of "Jayne Winter," the State Department (considering her background) would have every reason not to release to the public the knowledge that "Ms.Miracle is Jayne Winter". Their own records will be protected as well as they can be. I wouldn't charge points for it; it's a default part of Superhuman Registration in the CU.

I think the scenario is completely valid, as long as the gov't is involved.

Scientists of the famous brain drain (late 40s, 50s, 60s)were set up with new identities and yet had both civilain jobs... and gov't sponsored ones.

I would think that any unverisity with an antiquities dept would be amazed at "Ms. Winter's" grasp of ancient Greece. A little pressure from the State Dept, and bang! Ms. Winters, US citizen, would have a job at Princeton, maybe not tenured, but a job, in pretty short order. Or if you want realism; Georgetown University, just spittin' distance for The Farm and The Pentagon.

But think about your statement of the gov't keeping track of dual identities. If it is codified, if it is a serious number of supers... every smart villain is going to want that list. Any supervillain ninja or supervillain hacker who wanted to make a major name in the underworld would be after that list.

If it is a few rare individuals and organized as Black Book, cell compartimilization (i.e. only a few Secret Service and the Prez know the truth)... then it is much easier to pull off and much easier to keep that info from falling into the wrong hands. But then that is the subject of secret slush funds, lack of Senate oversight and would NOT be codified into law or policy.

So... it totally depends on what your group thinks your superhero's world is like.

I would think that any unverisity with an antiquities dept would be amazed at "Ms. Winter's" grasp of ancient Greece. A little pressure from the State Dept' date=' and bang! Ms. Winters, US citizen, would have a job at Princeton, maybe not tenured, but a job, in pretty short order. Or if you want realism; Georgetown University, just spittin' distance for The Farm and The Pentagon.[/quote']

Ah, not quite. She has a very limited view of Greece itself. She grew up hearing the stories of her age's heroes and meeting a few of the gods (a major premise in the game, actually, is that the gods are real and the ones who survived the test of time are still among us). But, having gone to sleep just before the fall of Troy, she's very fuzzy on what happened after that. Of course she's read a lot of history texts since then, but is no more intimate with the historical details than anyone else. Athens at its peak is like a completely different country to her.

Archaeologists, on the other hand, could probabably make use of her unique perspective.

But her aim is for unskilled labor. She's going to work in a bookstore cafe. :D