More space news!

tkdguy

Re: More space news!

Just for fun, let's see if I did this right. Voyager deep space probes are just now (roughly) passing the orbit of Pluto and heading into actual deep space, leaving our solar system.

In 35 years, they've gone 39.5 Astronomical Units = 0.000624607383 light years, according to Google. 39.5 AU is what I found for the orbit of Pluto, and Google says that's about six-ten-thousands of one light year. Yeowzer. No wonder interstellar travel is such a PITA.

Just for fun, let's see if I did this right. Voyager deep space probes are just now (roughly) passing the orbit of Pluto and heading into actual deep space, leaving our solar system.

In 35 years, they've gone 39.5 Astronomical Units = 0.000624607383 light years, according to Google. 39.5 AU is what I found for the orbit of Pluto, and Google says that's about six-ten-thousands of one light year. Yeowzer. No wonder interstellar travel is such a PITA.

That's really slow. Is there a known upper limit for proven(i.e., stuff that's actually been used before) propulsion tech, and then a probable upper limit for known tech(stuff we kinda sorta know how to build but maybe haven't fully fielded yet)? Do either of these come remotely close to even .001 c?(i.e., 1/1000 of light speed).

Do either of these come remotely close to even .001 c?(i.e.' date=' 1/1000 of light speed).[/quote']

Neither has a propulsion system to speak of; they are coasting on the gravitational slingshot boost they got from their last planetary encounters.

Current velocities with respect to the Sun in km/s are 17.045 and 15.440 for Voyager 1 and 2 respectively. The latter is about 0.0000515 c.

EDIT: BTW, the two now are 121.9 and 99.6 AU out: well past Pluto.

That's really slow. Is there a known upper limit for proven(i.e.' date=' stuff that's actually been used before) propulsion tech, and then a probable upper limit for known tech(stuff we kinda sorta know how to build but maybe haven't fully fielded yet)? Do either of these come remotely close to even .001 c?(i.e., 1/1000 of light speed).[/quote']

So far, the only actual "known tech" we have are rockets. Throw mass out the back to make it go forward, that's it. Everything thing else has only been demonstrated on a small scale (solar sails) or is completely hypothetical. Nothing we have actually gets anywhere near even a small fraction of light speed.

So far' date=' the only actual "known tech" we have are rockets. Throw mass out the back to make it go forward, that's it. Everything thing else has only been demonstrated on a small scale (solar sails) or is completely hypothetical. Nothing we have actually gets anywhere near even a small fraction of light speed.[/quote']

Well actually we do have an Ion-Drive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_Drive

It has a phenomenal weight/thrust ratio (or specific Impulse). All you need is energy (wich can reliably be collected by solar panels). It is well tested on dozens of sattelites.

The only caveeat is, the the acceleration is also incredibly slow. Often less than 1/1000 of G (with the weight of the powersoruce figured in). So it is only suiteable for unmanned probes. Maybe for a sleeper ship.

There is also the Orion Drive (Nulcear Pulse Propulsion), but how viable that is is something many doubt.

Nitpick: An ion drive is still a rocket.

Both attain Thrust by accelerating matter.

However the way the matter is accelerated is fundamentally different.

Technologically' date=' or politically?[/quote']

Technologically it seems rather sound. They still have to do engineerign work, but it seamed feasible at the time of the race to the moon.

Politic could be the real hassle. And getting this thing into space without too much fallout.

Technologically' date=' or politically?[/quote']

Orion drives are all politics and Environmental Impact Reports. The physics are comparatively simple (after all, it's the space program equivalent of putting a firecracker under a can), it's all those pesky atmospheric nuclear detonations that have folk worried about Orion

I don't even think it's atmospheric detonations. Even putting some plutonium in a thermal reactor for a probe generates some vocal protest. You could use chemical rockets to put your Orion in orbit but you'd have the same hippie issue plus I imagine it would violate some treaties about putting nuclear weapons in orbit.

There's the issue, too, that it's a rather large and massive thing. You need a massive pusher plate to stand between the nuclear blast and the spacecraft. We can't get that much mass into orbit now. It'd be like trying to break the Great Wall of China into one-foot cubes, hand-carry each cube to another location (say, the Tibetan border) and reassemble it there. In principle that could be done, but in fact that specific task will never get done.

There's the issue' date=' too, that it's a rather large and massive thing. You need a massive pusher plate to stand between the nuclear blast and the spacecraft. We can't get that much mass into orbit now. It'd be like trying to break the Great Wall of China into one-foot cubes, hand-carry each cube to another location (say, the Tibetan border) and reassemble it there. [i']In principle[/i] that could be done, but in fact that specific task will never get done.

The original design called to start the drive on the ground. It can be it's own Rocket for reaching space, without any trouble.

If you want to bring it up there with rockets you have to built it rather small. And the smaler/lighter you built it, the less efficient it get's (it even has a minimum feasible size).

There's the issue' date=' too, that it's a rather large and massive thing. You need a massive pusher plate to stand between the nuclear blast and the spacecraft. We can't get that much mass into orbit now. It'd be like trying to break the Great Wall of China into one-foot cubes, hand-carry each cube to another location (say, the Tibetan border) and reassemble it there. [i']In principle[/i] that could be done, but in fact that specific task will never get done.

I wonder if it would be possible to cut the plate out of an iron asteroid.

Also' date=' once outside of an atmosphere, how does a nuclear detonation result in any appreciable push without ablating some of the pusher plate? Unless the nukes are specially prepared with a large amount of "wrapping material" beforehand...[/quote']

My vague recollection is that yes, they are wrapped in reaction mass. Also that they achieved a "shaped charge" effect to direct a higher portion of the mass at the pusher plate instead of wasting it equally in all directions. A somewhat more extreme version of this is referred to as a "Casaba Howitzer" (details of which are still classified): essentially a nuclear-powered plasma shotgun.

How does the graphite oil resist ablation that nickel-iron cannot? I am intrigued.

Also' date=' once outside of an atmosphere, how does a nuclear detonation result in any appreciable push without ablating some of the pusher plate? Unless the nukes are specially prepared with a large amount of "wrapping material" beforehand...[/quote']

Read yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29