More space news!

tkdguy

5 hours ago, DShomshak said:

I assume everyone here has sufficient scientific literacy to find this funny.

April 8 solar eclipse totality will last for minutes, not cause 'days of darkness' | Fact check (msn.com)

Dean Shomshak

The Three Days of Darkness concept has been around for many years. I've seen it make the news a couple of times in my life. There's always talk of this whenever solar eclipses occur, despite them being quite common.

16 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Snopes.com checks more eclipse nuttiness, this time indubitably from the kookier fringes of Christianity. (Though I was surprised to find how many places named Nineveh are in the US.)

Fact Check: About the Rumor 2024 Solar Eclipse Will Pass Over Every US City Named Nineveh (msn.com)

Dean Shomshak

I suppose every place name that's mentioned in the Bible gets turned into one in the US eventually. I imagine that's all that the vast majority of Americans know about Nineveh, if that. It is odd, though, in that the Bible calls that city a place of great "wickedness" that was placed under "the Lord's burden." Doesn't sound like a town I'd want to raise my kids in. :rolleyes:

I'm observbing the eclipse from time to time right now (around 10:30 AM PDT). Nothing much to see just yet.

My mom said a lot of folks (on her social media feed) in the Philippines are scared of the eclipse because everyone will be in darkness. I told my mom to tell her friends not to worry. The eclipse will be seen mainly in North America and a few countries in Western Europe and Oceania. The Philippines will not see it. Nevertheless, the country is under cover of darkness right now.... because it's night time!

On 4/7/2024 at 11:03 AM, Lord Liaden said:

I suppose every place name that's mentioned in the Bible gets turned into one in the US eventually. I imagine that's all that the vast majority of Americans know about Nineveh, if that. It is odd, though, in that the Bible calls that city a place of great "wickedness" that was placed under "the Lord's burden." Doesn't sound like a town I'd want to raise my kids in. :rolleyes:

While I haven't checked every Biblical place name, a brief Wikipedia search shows:

10 places in US named Jerusalem. Largest, a town in NY, has population a bit over 4,000. Though many places named "Salem," some of course quite large.

16 places named Bethel. (And 4 in Canada.)

Places with unpleasant connotations? No place in US named Golgotha, so not *every* Biblical name gets used. But 7 named Calvary (including transit stations), and at least 12 cemeteries. Just one Gethsemane, a cemetery in NJ.

For comparison, at least 31 places named Troy (I may have lost count going down the list), not counting subsidiaries such as Troy University, or villages within towns.

Only 2 places in US named Babylon. Egypt does better, such as we large and well known Memphis and Cairo.

There was nothing to see here in western Washington, because of overcast skies.

So, does anyone have demon invasions to report? Places smote with fire and brimstone? 40 days of darkness? Dogs and cats living together? Mass hysteria?

Dean Shomshak

NASA engineers repair Voyager 1 from billions of miles away, because they're just that smart. They hope they can keep it running and sending back useful data until the 50th anniversary of its launch.

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/23/1246682946/good-news-from-voyager-1-which-is-now-out-past-the-edge-of-the-solar-system

Dean Shomshak