Searching: Mechanon & The Zodiac

Goldstar

I can't seem to find a 5E character write-up for Mechanon.

There is a Mechanon 3000 in the Galactic Champions book, but that doesn't seem the same as what would be in regualr CU.

Also, havethe Zodiac from the old Zodiac Conspiracy module been updated to 5E, and if so, where can I find those write-ups as well.

Here's hoping...

Goldstar

Re: Searching: Mechanon & The Zodiac

Along with not finding Zodiac :( in 5E, you will neither find other favorites like VOICE, CLOWN, The Seven Horsemen, Pantera from Eurostar, nor Seeker; other not-so-favorites: Obsidian, Jaguar nor Quantum. Somehow, Dr. Destroyer made the cut.

Along with not finding Zodiac :( in 5E' date=' you will neither find other favorites like VOICE, CLOWN, The Seven Horsemen, Pantera from Eurostar, nor Seeker; other not-so-favorites: Obsidian, Jaguar nor Quantum. Somehow, Dr. Destroyer made the cut.[/quote']

Well, while those characters haven't made it into the official CU, a few of them have received 5E updates here on the boards in one form or another. :)

VOICE has been given thorough updates/interpretations on this thread. Tom McCarthy provided some rough notes on updating the Seven Horsemen on this one.

In addition, you'll find very good updates of another classic Champions group, the Protectors, via this thread.

Thanks all. I can't believe I missed Mechanon's writeup in the Champions book. my bad.

and as for the Zodiac, and others (like CLOWN, which was one of my favorites), I guess I'm on my own to upgrade them myselves.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Goldstar.

Along with not finding Zodiac :( in 5E' date=' you will neither find other favorites like VOICE, CLOWN, The Seven Horsemen, Pantera from Eurostar, nor Seeker; other not-so-favorites: Obsidian, Jaguar nor Quantum. Somehow, Dr. Destroyer made the cut.[/quote']Yeah, I was kinda bummed when CLOWN didn't make it in. Have to work them in myself (although the current campaign doesn't fit them too well).

VOICE has been given thorough updates/interpretations on this thread.

Hey, I'm on that thread. Which reminds me that, to keep it alive, I need to add some more of the Freedom Squad.

Tom McCarthy provided some rough notes on updating the Seven Horsemen on this one.

Very nice! Thank you. I've printed Tom's suggestions.

In addition' date=' you'll find very good updates of another classic Champions group, the Protectors, via this thread.

Ah, I knew there was a group I had forgotten. :doi:

Yeah' date=' I was kinda bummed when CLOWN didn't make it in. Have to work them in myself (although the current campaign doesn't fit them too well).

[/quote']Ditto, especially since the fear of clowns is one of the largest growing fears amongst adults. Even worse, I don't have the product that they're in, so I can't even make upgrades. :(

Along with not finding Zodiac :( in 5E' date=' you will neither find other favorites like VOICE, CLOWN, The Seven Horsemen, Pantera from Eurostar, nor Seeker; other not-so-favorites: Obsidian, Jaguar nor Quantum. Somehow, Dr. Destroyer made the cut.[/quote']

Were all these because of copyright issues or what? I really liked Zodiac, CLOWN, and seeing Seeker get pounded on the cover of most books. In the first Champions campain I ever played, CLOWN stole the Grand Canyon.

Were all these because of copyright issues or what? I really liked Zodiac' date=' CLOWN, and seeing Seeker get pounded on the cover of most books. In the first Champions campain I ever played, CLOWN stole the Grand Canyon.[/quote']

Except for the other members of the Champions, I would say "Probably." I think they just wanted to revise the Champions and somehow Defender was their favorite; Seeker was mine, followed by Quantum. I didn't really care for the rest, but I like how they meshed well together.

Heh, my first time 'encountering' CLOWN was in a Dark Champions game. Our team had Harlequin (a male clown-theme) challenge them over the public radio airwaves (illegally hacked, of course) to a final battle where only one would survive. They agreed to meet at a certain intersection; it happened to be one that had a gas station at each corner. When our team showed up, they blew up the four gas stations, hopped into their little car and drove off.

Whether it's copyright issues or personal preference seems to vary from character to character. I know from past DoJ remarks to the boards (not sure if it was from Darren or Steve) that the Zodiac is still the property of its creator, Doug Shuler, and he hasn't given Hero Games permission to use them. OTOH Scott Heine has mentioned that although he still has the rights to the Protectors, he'd have no objection to them being used freely in 5E books. However, Steve has said that DoJ prefers to use characters that they clearly retain ownership of, to prevent any potential future conflicts.

Steve liked the Defender character concept which is why Jim Harmon made it into the new Champions. He also liked Solitaire but was uncomfortable with her being neither wholly mentalist nor wholly mystic, which is probably why we now have the very similar Witchcraft.

Steve felt that VOICE wasn't distinctive enough from other Champions organizations to warrant inclusion in the new official universe. He just plain doesn't like CLOWN, though. (Hey, he's the Line Developer and a part owner of the company, so he gets to choose.) ;)

He just plain doesn't like CLOWN, though. (Hey, he's the Line Developer and a part owner of the company, so he gets to choose.)

Believe me, if it weren't for the rights issue I'd be picking up the slack here with project "Champions: Orphanage", another potential name "Champions: Multiverse". Basically providing writeups for the pre-5th favorites (and otherwise) like CLOWN, Deathstroke, and the like without making them canon -- including suggestions for making them canon and/or adapting them to your campaign.

I made some efforts to try and find the guy behind CLOWN (can't think of his name right now) without success... they'd be the group I'd be most interested in giving the 5th treatment.

Well, those specific Zodiac characters are not DOJ property, but making another Zodiac team might be considered. That concept certainly isn't anyones personal property. Also, pics of members of the Protectors appear in a few of the Champions books if I recall.

Were all these because of copyright issues or what? I really liked Zodiac' date=' CLOWN, and seeing Seeker get pounded on the cover of most books. In the first Champions campain I ever played, CLOWN stole the Grand Canyon.[/quote']

It's very easy for players to update 4E characters to 5E. My personal feeling is that I'd rather see DoJ devote more time and energy to producing new characters and material for Champions rather than doing retrogrades. We all have our favorite 1E to 4E characters. Now should be the time we get more new 5E characters to add to our lists.

The thing with CLOWN stealing the Grand Canyon is funny though. I'll have to remember that, only I'll probably use Foxbat. :)

In the first Champions campain I ever played' date=' CLOWN stole the Grand Canyon.[/quote']

The thing with CLOWN stealing the Grand Canyon is funny though. I'll have to remember that' date=' only I'll probably use Foxbat. :)[/quote']

Ditto. Out of curiousity, how did they steal the Grand Canyon?

They used mirriors, wires, tarps, and ballons shaped like cactus. They made it look like there was just flat desert and the canyon was gone. CLOWN then sent a ranson demand for the canyons safe return. When we went to investigate the site we were attack by white guys dressed as Indians, and Cowboys whose pistols never had to be reloaded. This was about 13 years ago but I think thats about how it went. This was the group that first bought me in to the world of Hero and the GM (Brian Miller) was one of the best GMs I have ever met.

They used mirriors' date=' wires, tarps, and ballons shaped like cactus. They made it look like there was just flat desert and the canyon was gone. CLOWN then sent a ranson demand for the canyons safe return. When we went to investigate the site we were attack by white guys dressed as Indians, and Cowboys whose pistols never had to be reloaded. This was about 13 years ago but I think thats about how it went. This was the group that first bought me in to the world of Hero and the GM (Brian Miller) was one of the best GMs I have ever met.[/quote']

:lol: That's pretty funny! Thanks for sharing.

This could be a good plot idea to share in From little plot seeds, mighty games do grow: Share your ideas! thread. I highly suggest you just drop a line there and mention it. :yes:

Of course, I keep reviving this thread, so that may be one reason why. :whistle:

• 3 months later...

Just out of curiosity: Does DoJ still own the rights to CLOWN? If so (and assuming they have no plans to update them) would they object to members of the boards posting 5ed versions of them?

To my knowledge, the rights have reverted to Stan West, the creator. I edited and did development work on an abortive CLOWN update during the period that Hero was publishing e-books only. Honestly, it wasn't going to be good without a lot more work than Stan, myself, or Bruce H were willing to give it, and we pulled the plug on the project.

So, in some ways, I guess I'm the guy who killed CLOWN. :king:

Well' date=' those specific Zodiac characters are not DOJ property, but making another Zodiac team might be considered. That concept certainly isn't anyones personal property. Also, pics of members of the Protectors appear in a few of the Champions books if I recall.[/quote']

Drawn by their creator to boot!