Drizzt Do'Urden in HERO

bushido11

Well, I never did get to complete HERO Goku (someone else did that already) but I did complete Drizzt Do'Urden and his panther Guenhwyvar, for all the Drizzt fans out there. Here goes nothing:

Characteristics (97 CP)

- 13 STR, 24 DEX, 15 CON, 14 BODY, 15 INT, 18 EGO, 18 PRE, 14 COM, 3 PD, 3 ED, 3 SPD, 6 REC, 36 END, 29 STUN

Skills (323 CP)

- Acting 8-, Climbing 15-, Concealment 12-, Conversation 8-, Deduction 12-, Language - Undercommon (Native), Persuasion 8-, PS: Soldier 11-, Shadowing 14-, Stealth 18-, AK: Underdark 15-, Acrobatics 14-, Analyze 12-, Animal Handler 15-, Breakfall 14-, Bureaucratics 8-, 8-pt CSL: All Combat, 10-pt CSL: Ranged Combat, 15-pt CSL: HTH Combat, 10-pt CSL Scimitars, Defensive Maneuver IV, Disguise 14-, Fast Draw 17-, Interrogation 13-, AK: Icewind Dale 13-, AK: Sword Coast 12-, AK: Calisham 8-, CK: Menzoberranzan 14-, KS: Ten-Town Folk 12-, KS: Dark Elves 14-, KS: Goblinoid Races 12-, KS: Sailing the Seas 8-, Language - Goblin (Basic), Language - Dwarf (Fluent), Language - Common (Native w Literacy), Lockpicking 8-, Paramedics 12-, Rapid Attack (HTH), Riding 14-, Sleight of Hand 14-, Survival - Arctic 14-, Survival - Underdark 15-, Survival - Forest 13-, Survival - Plains 12-, Tactics 15-, Teamwork 14-, Tracking 16-, Two Weapon Fighting (HTH), WF: Common Melee Weapons, WF: Common Missile Weapons, WF: Off Hand, Swimming 12-, 8-pt CSL: +4 DC to Scimitars

Perks (14 CP)

- Contact 11-: Cadderly (Good relationship w contact, has very useful skills), Reputation 11- (Known throughout much of Faerun for heroics, +4)

Talents (59 CP)

- Ambidexterity (no penalty w off hand), Combat Luck, Combat Sense 15-, Danger Sense 12- (works as Sense), Lightning Reflexes (+2 DEX bonus on initiative)

Powers (123 CP)

- Globe of Darkness

Darkness to Sight w +1" Radius (20 pts); Reduced END (1/2 END; +1/4), 25 Active Pts.; Charges (3; -1 1/4), No Range (-1/2), 9 Real Pts.

- Levitation

Flight 6"; 12 Active Pts.; Charges (3; -1 1/4), Up-Down Movement Only (-1/2), 4 Real Pts.

- Mithril Chain Mail

Armor 10 PD & 6 ED; 24 Active Pts.; Focus (OIF; -1/2), 16 Real Pts.

- Twinkle, the Scimitar

HKA 1d6+1, +0 STR Bonus, +1d6+1 from CSLs; +2 DCV (10 Pts.); 30 Active Pts.; Focus (OAF; -1), STR Min 10 (-1/2), 12 Real Pts.

- Icingdeath, the Scimitar

HKA 1d6+1, +0 STR Bonus, +1d6+1 from CSLs; Resistant Damage Reduction 50% (Only Works Against Fire; -1/2; 20 pts), Armor 10 ED (Only Works Against Fire; -1/2; 10 pts), 65 Active Pts.; Focus (OAF; -1), STR Min 10 (-1/2), 12 Real Pts.

- Anklets of Speed

SPD +1; 10 Active Pts.; Focus (OIF; -1/2), 7 Real Pts.

- Dark Elf Lifespan

Life Support - Longevity (lifespan 800 years); 5 Active Pts.

- Panther Figurine of Wonderous Power

Summon 280 pt. Panther (Guenhwyvar); Amicable (Loyal; +1/2), Reduced END (0 END; +1/2), Specific Being (+1), 140 Active Pts.; Focus (OAF; -1), Charges (2; -1 1/2); 45 Real Pts.

Disadvantages (+85 CP)

- Distinctive Features - Dark Elf (Concealable with disguise skill or major effort; Feature causes major prejudice)

- Hunted by Dark Elves 8- (as powerful as PC; has extensive Non-Combat Influence; appears occasionally; hunter desires to kill PC)

- Hunted by Artemis Entreri 8- (as powerful as PC; appears occasionally; hunter desires to kill PC)

- Social Limitation - Dark Elf 18- (Very Frequent; Major Effects of Restrictions)

- Psychological Limitation - Do-Gooder 14- (Common; Moderate)

- Psychological Limitation - Protective of Friends 13- (Common; Strong)

Phew. Well, it took me about a good 3 days to complete Drizzt. Guenhwyvar is a smarter, more determined version of the Lion template found in FRED, but is immortal, has diminshed eating, regeneration, and his ability to dissipate into the Astral Plane (taking along 100 kg extra worth of stuff). Let me know what you think. It took a long time and a lot of effort but I think it depicts Drizzt of the novels better than Ftr10/Brb1/Rgr5 (he doesn't even cast ranger spells!). In the end, it was well worth it, thanks to that handy Excel HERO character sheet.

Looks good overall, might get more directed replies in the Fantasy board. I did wonder about the combat skill levels though. He has:

8-pt CSL: All Combat

10-pt CSL: Ranged Combat

15-pt CSL: HTH Combat

10-pt CSL Scimitars

8-pt CSL: +4 DC to Scimitars

IDHMBIFOM, but I'm guessing that's

1 level of All Combat (8 cp)

2 levels of Ranged Combat (5 cp ea)

3 levels of HTH Combat (5 cp ea)

5 levels with Scimitars (2 cp ea)

4 levels for DC with Scimitars (2 cp ea)

?????? I'm not comfortable I'm remembering those right. It's pretty complicated for game play though. You spent 51cp on combat skill levels, not bad for Drizzt. As a start, I'd simplify by eliminating the HTH and Ranged levels and replacing them with 2-3 more levels of All Combat.

Anyway, cool effort, and I like that he has TONS of skills! I always forget: do you have to pay for the total points of the creature summoned, or just the base points (i.e. less the disadvantages)?

One thing that jumps the heck out at me: that SPD of 3. Now, I've never actually read any of the books for that character, but that makes him SLOWER than almost every Fantasy HERO character I've ever seen and it's my understanding he's supposed to be a nigh-epic level fighter.

The second thing that jumps out at me is the lack of either a martial art, or enough skill levels to mimic one.

I'm also curious as to why he has swimming as a skill. An artifact of his 3D&D writeup, perhaps?

That's right! I forgot about the Swimming Movement mode. Oh well, just take the 3 points from the "swimming" skill and add it to Swimming Movement. I'm not too familiar with creating martial arts styles, but I figure lots of CSLs, Two Weapon Fighting, and Ambidexterity may cover it up. As for his SPD, don't forget the Anklets of Speed which he gets from one of the nobles of House Baenre (that guy wore them on his wrists to make his attacks seem like blurs, but they were to fast for him). I'm not really familiar with any of the HERO supplements, so I'm just basing his normal SPD off his DEX value. Good idea, however, to add another point of DEX, since he did get lots of training from Zaknefian. I based this character write-up of Drizzt mainly from the books, not from any D&D supplement. What was noted was his particular two sword style, but I really don't know how to translate that into a martial art, so I figured he just kicked major a$$ with 18 OCV and 17 DCV (forgot to add 4 levels of DCV; +1 bonus from WF: Off Hand and +2 DCV bonus from Twinkle) with his scimitars at hand.

I've had FRED for some months but was pretty reluctant to learn it (since I got stuck at a lot of parts), but its flexibility kept me persevering to learn it. I'm catching on more and more everyday. I'd like to actually play with some people who also play HERO. Also, I thought that one of the best ways to learn HERO was just to make different kinds of characters (so that I can familiarize myself with how the powers work), and my heart is in fantasy roleplay, not superheroes (although supers are cool).

I'm particularly proud of the fact that I was able to bring out just about every skill he might have/has used in the books with HERO, as well as his powers and equipment. Now Elminster would be easier...just give him a huge VPP and a couple of powers with the Triggered advantage representing that spell he has that'll warp him to his pocket dimension should he lose his life, limbs, sanity, etc.

Also, thanks for the input.

You did a pretty good job.

It could be debated and has been whether Dizzt would have Martial Arts or not. The training that he and every other Drow go through is pretty extensive so it could be argued for either CSLs or Martial Arts.

I'm not exactly sure if he really has Ambidexterity. D&D write ups give it to him to justify his using two weapons at the same time, but Hero has Two Weapon fighting to cover the penalties of using off hand for any fighting.

I agree that he should have SPD 4. He started much faster than Wolfgar, and Cattibrie. The Bracers would give him SPD 5 (probably).

Twinkle and Icingdeath are both magic weapons. I would give them bonuses or base damage higher than normal in their own rather than have it come from the CSLs.

He IS equally adept with either hand. Remember when Zaknefian did that little coin toss thingy in Homeland and Drizzt caught all 10 coins tossed in the air with both of his hands? Also, if for some reason he can only use one weapon and it's with his off hand, he's covered. About Twinkle and Icingdeath, I'm not sure the books emphasized so much on their superior cutting power by themselves, in contrast to that Sword of Sharpness that Catti-brie acquires (that thing is deadly I tell you, cutting off limbs with every strike and all). About a natural SPD 4, hey, go for it. SPD 4 it is.

The writeup looks good, but I'm going to beg to differ on the bracers of speed (anklets in his case) grangting a higher (Hero) SPD.

First, I'd set his SPD based on the setting. I'd say he's easily in the 5 or 6 range from his training and experience, which should be around the maximum attainable by an elfy type in Faerun. It's a fairly high-powered, epic setting.

Now, for the bracers... did they really give the original bearer (forgot name) a huge advantage? Mostly, they let him go first. I'd buy that ability as big pile of Lightning Reflexes, maybe +10 or +15. For wrist-wear, I might say a +1 SPD, with two custom limitations: First, only for actions involving the hands. (In the novels, putting them on the hands of the feet matter, so I'm assuming a localized effect. In 3E, this wouldn't necessarily be the case for the item.) Second, only up to SPD 5.

What happens when Drizz't gets them? He finds they really don't help him on his wrists, and in fact just hinder him as a distraction. Sure, the lightning reflexes is handy, but when you have a whole body SPD at or over what the Bracers grant (which is why I suggested the 5 or 6 SPD above, as he's clearly beyond being able to be helped by the bracers in the novel)? So, he sticks them on his feet, which lets his feet move MUCH faster. For footwear, I'd just give him extra Running, and maybe the Lightning Reflexes at the one point level for a single action, in this case for movement. I wouldn't give any limited SPD for using them as footwear, b/c it doesn't really model much, and he's beyond the SPD/extra attack enhancement effect being useful anyway.

Also, by the time he's got his bracers, he's lost most of his Drow talents, hasn't he? The only trick I recall him using later in the series was the globe of darkness effect. An I think he was just starting to pick up some ranger abilities from his association with Meilieki (sp?). I seem to recall some affinity for animals effect (other than his usual bear-toleration from the beginning) at a later point in the books, but it's fuzzy.

You made a good point about the bracers. He just seemed to move faster, as in covering more distance in less time, so I'll just put it as Running +10" with OIF. And you're right, he did lose his levitation, so that's going off his sheet. What I did forget to add, however, were two things:

- Enhanced Senses: Infrared Perception

- Magic Resistance

I did Magic Resistance as a Dispel 7d6, 0 END, Expanded Effect (Magic), Inherent, No Range. How would I do "No Skill Roll Required"? He's passively uses Magic Resistance and the only place I've found No skill roll required is for VPPs.

You don't need to do "No skill roll required" b/c the default is that powers don't require one. If you mean the dispel roll, you can do that as a Standard Effect.

Hmm. Maybe give him some Damage Reduction, only vs. Magic and a Dispel Damage Sheild, with Standard Effect? That way, whenever he got hit by a spell, he'd get a chance to dispel it and if it's an attack, it'd still be reduced in power. Maybe about 50% Dmg Red. Maybe less.

Elves' resistance to Sleep and Charm would be a limitation on those spells, I'd think. It'd keep things simpler that way.

Originally posted by Pattern Ghost

Hmm. Maybe give him some Damage Reduction, only vs. Magic and a Dispel Damage Sheild, with Standard Effect? That way, whenever he got hit by a spell, he'd get a chance to dispel it and if it's an attack, it'd still be reduced in power. Maybe about 50% Dmg Red. Maybe less.

Elves' resistance to Sleep and Charm would be a limitation on those spells, I'd think. It'd keep things simpler that way.

One thing to remember is a Drow loses his MR outside the underdark. Actually they loses all spell abilities. Only retaining the natural Elves' resistance to sleep and charm.

Of course I also know GMs that totally ignore this as well. Although TSR/Wizards have stated this many times, it seems that they don't enforce it in either their stories or modules :)

As far as the SPD goes I would give him a 4, maybe a 5. But as a GM I seldom allow SPDs over 5 in heroic. I also have to agree that the bracers/anglets would be along the line of Lightning reflexes more than pluses to SPD

Agree on the MR, I was just suggesting how to write it up. Of course, for some reason, he can still use the darkness globes outside. Guess a little artistic license there.

As far as SPD goes, I'd say that in the context of Forgotten Realms, which at higher levels approaches the superheroic, that it'd go up for the more experienced heroes. Even at the start of the series, Drizz't has decades of fighting experience. I'd shoot for a 3-5 range with Drizz't, Artemis, and a select few others at the 5 end, the Halfling (forgot name) and Wulfgar around the 4 range, and Cattie Brie and Brunor around 3 at the beginning of the series, and bump the warrior types except Brunor (he's already very experienced, so slower gains for him) up one near the end of the series. I'd put a cap on it at 6. That's a meaningful attack every two seconds, which should be attainable by the very best fighters.

I should add that you can certainly get the same effect -- lots of attacks against the cannon fodder -- with CSLs or PSLs vs. Sweep penalties. Allowing a cap of 150% over NCM to be bought is just simpler. I'd still enforce NCM of course, to keep the higher stats with the most experienced characters, but still allow a few extraordinary stats to be taken by starting characters, as that seems to fit the setting.

Ooooh! I just thought of another ability that'd work well in the setting, and one Drizz't should have in spades:

Presence defense! Call it coolness under fire. Let's the heroic types face off against the huge PRE monsters like Dragons and to reduce fear effects (Prob. bought as PRE Drains). Drizz't definately demonstrated some brass elf parts with at least two dragons.

Oh, one more thing... he should have Faerie Fire, he uses that all the time. I think he still may be able to use it a bit near the end of the series. Images vs. Sight, of course. Dunno if it'd have to have any modifiers to let it target opponents or not.

The effect of Faerie Fire is to make the target easier to hit. I suppose that Change Environment might work, considering that it can impose DCV penalties. The sfx is that you light the guy up.

It's been YEARS since I read the stories of Drizzt and crew so everything is really foggy as far as the sotry is concerned. But for D&D write ups, the bracers increased the number of attacks that the wearer got. I'd bet money on that. I was wrong about it granting SPD. I would make it give the naked advantage of Autofire instead since the whole character doesn't become speedy, just his arms or legs as the case may be. For wearing on the legs, give +Running.

Originally posted by Shadowpup

The effect of Faerie Fire is to make the target easier to hit. I suppose that Change Environment might work, considering that it can impose DCV penalties. The sfx is that you light the guy up.

Faerie Fire -- as used by Drizz't -- outlines his opponents. That doesn't make them easier to hit, just easier to see. Negates darkness penalties and makes turning invisible pretty pointless. It shouldn't inflict any DCV penalty on the target. I'd say Images would cover it, the only question being whether you'd have to do anything to target somene with Images.

Faerie Fire -- as used by Drizz't -- outlines his opponents. That doesn't make them easier to hit, just easier to see. Negates darkness penalties and makes turning invisible pretty pointless. It shouldn't inflict any DCV penalty on the target. I'd say Images would cover it, the only question being whether you'd have to do anything to target somene with Images.

Since the books are based on D&D and the spell Faerie Fire is a D&D spell, I was pointing out what the spell does. In D&D Faerie Fire give you a +2 to hit a lit up target. Since every attacker gets this bonus it is more like a penalty to DCV.

I'm not very familiar with what kind of SPD is good or even outrageous, so that's why I was off on the SPD. I completely forgot about faerie fire, stupid me. So he lost his magic resistance? I didn't know that. How would I do a presence defense, and one where I wouldn't need an attack roll? And for future reference, how would I make a "dispel field" for lack of a better term?

Originally posted by Shadowpup

Since the books are based on D&D and the spell Faerie Fire is a D&D spell, I was pointing out what the spell does. In D&D Faerie Fire give you a +2 to hit a lit up target. Since every attacker gets this bonus it is more like a penalty to DCV.

I was describing how Drizz't used it in the books, which translates more into offsetting darkness penalties. Either way works.

EDIT: I got bored and checked the d20 system reference document thingy. Here's the current version of Faerie Fire for reference.

Faerie Fire

Evocation

Level: Drd 1

Components: V, S, DF

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)

Area: Creature and objects within a

5-ft.-radius burst

Duration: 1 minute/level

Saving Throw: None

Spell Resistance: Yes

A pale glow surrounds and outlines the subjects. Outlined subjects shed light as candles. Outlined creatures do not benefit from the concealment normally caused by darkness, blur, displacement, invisibility, or similar effects. The light is too dim to have any special effect on undead or dark-dwelling creatures. The faerie fire can be blue, green, or violet, according to the character's word at the time of casting. The faerie fire does not cause any harm to the objects or creatures thus outlined.

Originally posted by bushido11

I'm not very familiar with what kind of SPD is good or even outrageous, so that's why I was off on the SPD. I completely forgot about faerie fire, stupid me. So he lost his magic resistance? I didn't know that. How would I do a presence defense, and one where I wouldn't need an attack roll? And for future reference, how would I make a "dispel field" for lack of a better term?

Just buy a chunk of PRE with the limitation "Only for Defense (-1)"

Then when the character is subjected to a PRE attack, you get to compare it to the higher PRE value.

Say a character has a PRE of 10. He's not big on social graces, but he's not easy to intimidate, either. You buy him +10 PRE, Only for Defense (-1). So, when he's hit with a PRE attack, the attacker has to roll over 20 rather than 10. But his PRE skills are all going to be base 11- instead of the 13- a 20 PRE would give him. Basically, it just adds another level of detail to the stat.

I was describing how Drizz't used it in the books, which translates more into offsetting darkness penalties. Either way works.

EDIT: I got bored and checked the d20 system reference document thingy. Here's the current version of Faerie Fire for reference.

Thanks for printing that. My D&D knowlege is (Obviously) years out of date. The newer version is nicer. However, when the first three books were written D&D was still 1st / 2nd Ed. ;)