Drizzt Do'Urden in HERO

bushido11

Well, I added Iron Composure, which is the +10 PER but only for defense against PRE attacks (as suggested) and Faerie Fire, which is Images - Sight w +4 to PER rolls but with Only Light and Set Effect (4 orbs of light). Now I'm wondering whether doing Faerie Fire like that will follow the person targeted or the hex. I should think it follows the person if you target it at him (with his DCV opposing your attack roll, of course).

Can anyone please tell me how to do a Dispel Field?

Originally posted by bushido11

Can anyone please tell me how to do a Dispel Field?

I did a little way up. Dispel with Damage Shield, or maybe Trigger. With trigger you have to worry about resets. With Damage Shield, you have to be "touched" to trigger it, but you can probably handwave that as a campaign rule. Building MR in Hero is a bit tricky. Might google for dungeon hero and see if they have anything on MR on there.

One more question: how much is a No Attack Roll Needed advantage worth?

Technically, there's no such thing. For practical purposes, I'd buy that Area of Effect: 1 Hex with the Accurate option, which allows him to target just about anything as though they were DCV 3, and all they can do is Dive For Cover. (This isn't a perfect match to D&D, but it would be if Fairie Fire allowed a saving throw. :) )

I couldn't find that Accurate option where it had Area of Effect, but thanks for the input. For the Dispel Field, I think Damaging Shield would be most appropriate. In doing so, one would lose the ability to use in at range, so if he wanted, for example, a Energy Blast (fire) damaging shield and Energy Blast (fire), would it be appropriate to buy it as an EC?

I've finished Drizzt's character sheet. He's currently a 710 pt. character. If you want to see his character sheet, just shoot me an e-mail ok? I tried attaching the Excel file to this post, but it won't allow me to attach .xsl files.

Creating him took way too long, so I think I'll stick to creating my own characters based on my imagination (and a set number of character points). It's been good mental exercise doing something like that, a lot harder than just slapping on 3 classes, skills, and feats, but it was well worth it.

I play Forgotten Realms from time to time (because it's about the only D&D campaign setting my friends are familiar with, that and Ravenloft). I felt that HERO could make a more accurate representation of Drizzt Do'Urden than D&D could (which is a no-brainer), so I gave it a shot. I also chose him so that I can get more familiar with the HERO System, because when you're making a character concept, you're pretty much forced to try to apply the most appropriate powers for that character. "Book learnin'" is fine and dandy but the stuff really sticks to you when you apply it. HERO's a big sucker and I can't seem to commit myself to straight up read it for too long before all I see is just letters and none of the information being absorbed. I also did a sample combat yesterday to familiarize myself for the feel of combat and it wasn't as bad as many people claim it to be (not bad as in bad, but bad as in horrendously slow). At first, I forgot about tracking spent END in the first turn, but then I remembered and I've kept track of END, STUN, BODY, and the post-segment 12 recoveries. I also tried different combat maneuvers, like disarm, move thru, and haymaker (easier than I thought it would be), because any idiot can make an attack roll, you know? Also, I've become comfortable with the "11+OCV-3d6 = the DCV I hit" formula (since you would be able to keep the opponent's DCV a secret like that from your players). I like the way the SPD chart handles; it makes a lot of sense and it simulates speedy characters excellently. I want to get familiar enough with HERO so that when (or if) I do get to play with my friends, I won't have to flip through the book for every combat maneuver they try to make.

One thing that has me concerned, though, is the fact that you take damage from Move By and Move Thru maneuvers. I understand the concept behind that if you want to tackle or closeline someone (for example), but how about if you charge at someone with a melee weapon, like a lance? I don't see the sense in you taking damage by performing a Move Thru with a lance; is there some piece of information I'm missing or am I wrong? Can anybody explain this strange occurance?

Originally posted by tiger

One thing to remember is a Drow loses his MR outside the underdark. Actually they loses all spell abilities. Only retaining the natural Elves' resistance to sleep and charm.

Of course I also know GMs that totally ignore this as well. Although TSR/Wizards have stated this many times, it seems that they don't enforce it in either their stories or modules :)

Actually you are thinking in AD&D terms. In 3rd Ed Drow keep all of their abilities, they just start at a lower level to compensate for their powers. So no more stupid "you lose all of your powers when you leave the underdark"

I seem to remember that Drizzt could use his Levitation and his other Drow abilities in the other books, but usually didn't for some reason. I say this as I remember times in the latter books that he would suddenly use his levitate (during the drow invasion for instance).

Also if you are going to use a dispel to represent his Magic Resistance you would have to make sure that you make it 0 end, Continous, Persistant and inate as it cannot be dispelled. It is really expensive in Hero.

Tasha :)

• 1 year later...

Re: Drizzt Do'Urden in HERO

That's right! I forgot about the Swimming Movement mode. Oh well, just take the 3 points from the "swimming" skill and add it to Swimming Movement. I'm not too familiar with creating martial arts styles, but I figure lots of CSLs, Two Weapon Fighting, and Ambidexterity may cover it up. As for his SPD, don't forget the Anklets of Speed which he gets from one of the nobles of House Baenre (that guy wore them on his wrists to make his attacks seem like blurs, but they were to fast for him). I'm not really familiar with any of the HERO supplements, so I'm just basing his normal SPD off his DEX value. Good idea, however, to add another point of DEX, since he did get lots of training from Zaknefian. I based this character write-up of Drizzt mainly from the books, not from any D&D supplement. What was noted was his particular two sword style, but I really don't know how to translate that into a martial art, so I figured he just kicked major a$$ with 18 OCV and 17 DCV (forgot to add 4 levels of DCV; +1 bonus from WF: Off Hand and +2 DCV bonus from Twinkle) with his scimitars at hand.

I've had FRED for some months but was pretty reluctant to learn it (since I got stuck at a lot of parts), but its flexibility kept me persevering to learn it. I'm catching on more and more everyday. I'd like to actually play with some people who also play HERO. Also, I thought that one of the best ways to learn HERO was just to make different kinds of characters (so that I can familiarize myself with how the powers work), and my heart is in fantasy roleplay, not superheroes (although supers are cool).

I'm particularly proud of the fact that I was able to bring out just about every skill he might have/has used in the books with HERO, as well as his powers and equipment. Now Elminster would be easier...just give him a huge VPP and a couple of powers with the Triggered advantage representing that spell he has that'll warp him to his pocket dimension should he lose his life, limbs, sanity, etc.

Also, thanks for the input.

Umm I would say after all is said and done... that Drizzt would have a speed of 6... I think his regular speed would be atleast 4. I would peg it at a 5... if you think about it he's faster than everybody else in the party without those anklet bracers.... and they all have speeds of 3-4. Besides isn't 2 the speed of a normal human? I'd say drizzt is atleast twice if not 3 times faster than a normal human.....

are the anklets of speed the same as boots of speed?

Boots of Speed: (Total: 26 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Running +8" (16" total) (16 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Custom Modifier (must have room to maneuver; -1/2) (Real Cost: 8) plus +2 with DCV (10 Active Points); OIF Fragile (-3/4), Custom Modifier (must have room to maneuver; -1/2) (Real Cost: 4)

at least thats my take on the DMG 1rst Ed version

One thing that jumps the heck out at me: that SPD of 3. Now, I've never actually read any of the books for that character, but that makes him SLOWER than almost every Fantasy HERO character I've ever seen and it's my understanding he's supposed to be a nigh-epic level fighter.

I think its a scalability and campaign specific question, personally. I agree, however, that it should probably be higher - because Drizzt is a dink character, even from a writing perspective. I don't think his speed would need to exceed 4, though. Two Weapon Fighting and Rapid Attack can make a speed 4 character with MA's or skill levels extremely uber in most heroic games.