Please explain in English about the guns

GOmezy3k

I am trying to come up with a 30's era reporter who moonlights as a vigilante... (He "rubs out" the criminals and then writes about it)... I want him to use two .45 Colt 1911's. They hold 7 in the clip and 1 in chamber if carried cocked and locked...

We are supposed to use points to buy the equipment... I looked in the book and got all confused... no where does it say:

1911 Colt .45 = Cost X points to buy

I asked the gaming group and they started giving me all this OAF's and OOF's and POOF's & GOOF's and Real Weapon 1/4 and STR Min 1/2 and Beam 1/4 and Charges 1/2 and Stun Modifiers and 2d6 Killing is 30 Points and other crap...??????????????

:rolleyes:

Why can't things be written in a nice simple straight forward method instead of all this happy horse crap code...

So how exactly many points would I need to allocate for my character to use 2 .45 Colt Auto's???? And please no gobbly gook crap...just the numbers please...

Re: Please explain in English about the guns

According to Dark Champions, p. 243

39 Active Points, 10 Real Points (after all the disadvantages)

5 points for every doubling of the guns you want to carry.

2=15 points total

3-4=20 points total, and so on.

The key is to look in tha column on a weapon table labeled "A/R" This is "Active/Real" cost, or the point cost before and after all the limitations are added.

Keith "Mr. Helpy Guy" Curtis

OK thanks... I don't have a copy of the new Dark Champions...its on back order... Hmm so the first gun is 10 points and the second is 5??? Interesting... Anyway' date=' thanks I appreciate it...[/quote']

There's an oft-forgotten rule in FREd (and 5ER) that says to have double the number of pieces of equipment, you pay +5 points.

Since one gun is a piece of equipement, it's only 5 points to have a second one (it doubles the number).

As Keith pointed out, if you wanted 3 or 4 guns, that's another +5 points (doubles the number of guns from 2 to 4) and so on and so forth.

The "+5 points = double previous amount" is a common part of the HERO system. For example, look at Followers, Multiforms, and so on. There are many different Powers or Perks that use the "+5 points = double what I had before" mechanic. It's just that most people forget you can do it for Equipment as well. :)

Hmm so the first gun is 10 points and the second is 5??? Interesting...

Just FYI: After you create a weapon with points, and you decide to purchase a second weapon, regardless of the cost of the original, the second only costs 5 points. It's a rule I don't particularly like (way too easy to be abused) but that's for another thread.

I can feel your pain on the weapons. I like to have martial arts weapons and while I can find the points listed, I can't always see how they created the weapons and I come up short on points or costing more. :straight: Oh well.

I think part of what threw me was the 30+ "Active Points" vs the "Real Points"... I haven't played Champions a whole lot so I use the Character Creator CD-R and as far as I can see it doesn't have anything to add guns to your character sheet. When I went to the book I saw the Active Points and was trying to figure out how to come up with 30+ points to buy the guns... Didn't seems right... And then when I asked the other players they started throwing all the numbers and terms at me till my head started to swim... I was trying to figure out how you took 30+ points and turned it into 10 or 12 or whatever it is... Not to mention how one gun cost 10 points and two were 15... Why not just buy two 5 point guns and get rid of the 10 point one ROFLOL...

Anyway thanks for the info.... boy do I feel like a clone.. :stupid:

Personally I like the games where it actually tells you a gun is X and it does X Damage... And if you want two you pay to buy two (2xX) using money not points...but the Grand-Poobah says we have to use points so......

Gomez, if you have Hero Designer there is a prefab in the Free Stuff section with the firearms from the 5e book (not from 5ER, I haven't looked to see if it needs revising yet).

From this prefab, you can see how the guns are actually constructed using Powers.

If you don't have Hero Designer, look at the Firearms section of FReD or 5ER; there is a fairly extensive discussion of how to build real-world weapons. (Sorry, can't give page numbers; I'm at work and don't have a book with me.)

OK thanks... Found it and downloaded it... Took a while to find it in my computer ROFL...

Where do I find the thing about getting the second gun for 5 points? Plus, using the prefab, it doesn't have any points under the cost...so essentially it is giving it to me free... How do I get it to add the Point Cost thing?? The only thing it will let me do is add in the money cost..not the point cost, which doesn't change the point totals....it should add to the total used points but doesn't...

OK thanks... Found it and downloaded it... Took a while to find it in my computer ROFL...

Where do I find the thing about getting the second gun for 5 points? Plus, using the prefab, it doesn't have any points under the cost...so essentially it is giving it to me free... How do I get it to add the Point Cost thing?? The only thing it will let me do is add in the money cost..not the point cost, which doesn't change the point totals....it should add to the total used points but doesn't...

To get any second piece of equipment for +5 points, you have to use a Custom Power.

The guns normally don't show point cost because they add to the Equipment Tab. If you copy/paste them to the Powers tab, they'll show point cost (and add to the points spent on the character). You can also edit the thing and it'll show Active and Real points inside.

Hope that makes sense. :)

So, basically, you want a Hero System GUI.

Sad, but true: my beloved Hero is the CLI of the RPG world.

Please enlighten me, I am ignorant of what GUI and CLI represent here. Would you (or someone) please explain?

Please enlighten me' date=' I am ignorant of what GUI and CLI represent here. Would you (or someone) please explain?[/quote']

Computer terms.

GUI= Graphic User Interface (like Windoze)

CLI= Command Line Interface (like DOS)

The bit about doubling the number of items for +5 points is described in the rulebook at the very start of Chapter 4, Equipment, under "Building And Buying Equipment" beginning on 5ER p. 456. Note that this is an optional rule; if you (and your GM) prefer to pay full price for two guns, for example, you should go with that. :)

So, basically, you want a Hero System GUI.

Sad, but true: my beloved Hero is the CLI of the RPG world.

Huh????? What's a GUI and a CLI???? :stupid: OOps nevermind just read it on page 1 of this thread...

Basically what I want is to be able to fill in a few boxes with stats, powers or equipment; hit a button and poof it comes up with a character...

Huh????? What's a GUI and a CLI???? :stupid:

Graphical User Interface.

Command Line Interface.

Long ago, in the computing dark ages, their was a thing colloquially referred to as a DOS-Prompt, but more accurately, a command line interface. In this rather unfriendly environ the user would enter commands, in computer language, to get the computer to do something. These commands were often, and often remain, a pain in the tuches.

Then some bright lad said, wouldn't it be cool if we could just put up a bunch of pictures (icons) and make a computer go with some sort of point-and-click device. This user friendly environment, which can be operated without typing commands, is called a Graphical User Interface.

I assume you are running Windows, which is a graphical user interface. Lets conduct an exercise:

Open your start menu and click run.

In the Run prompt, type cmd. The CLI appears.

Note: if cmd didn't work, type try command.

If you know DOS and the basics of the CLI, you can make your computer do everything you can do with the GUI. Its a direct tap to real ultimate computer nerd power.

Now, to complete our exercise, imagine that, when you booted your computer, the only thing that appeared was the CLI. Imagine, to locate files, launch programs, print, or do anything else, you had to tell the computer to do it with the CLI. Not so user friendly, but it also gives you commands allowing you to do some really cool stuff thats a pain in the GUI.

That's Hero. The CLI of the gaming world.

What you are asking for is a GUI. A crib sheet that saves you the time of all that typing. Hero GUI: .45 Automatic, 7+1 Rounds, 2d6 RKA, 11 Points.

Basically what I want is to be able to fill in a few boxes with stats' date=' powers or equipment; hit a button and poof it comes up with a character...[/quote']

That's what prefabs and Character Packs are for, all right.

If you can afford the $UNTIL Superpowers Database and Fantasy Hero Grimoire packs, you can get your powers or spells pre-built.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any prefabs for guns, melee weapons, or bows & crossbows (other than the Gear or Firearms prefabs in the Free Stuff section, which are strictly from FREd, not any other sourcebooks).

The Terran Empire / Spacer's Toolkit pack does have a bunch of science fiction equipment, though.

everyone else has covered the cost for ya... my $.02 says that you'll be happier in the long run reading through the rules and getting a basic understanding of them rather than buying every book full of prefabs that comes out. Even if you just pick up a copy of Sidekick, it'll make you more comfortable with the system in the long run. All the gobblety gook becomes rather important to the game, tho if you strictly plan on ONLY playing, and are willing to always follow your GM's lead, then you could probably get by with never learning the system. But you may never really be satisfied with the system. Your opinion may change after you've played for a while. As a good stopgap, rather than asking your GM and fellow players "how" to buy a particular peice of equipment (and then getting a long discourse in HERO-speak) just ask them for a write up, which you can then plug into HD. HD makes character creation easier, but it still presupposes some knowledge of system mechanics. It is possible to enjoy gaming in the Hero System wiythout ever learning character creation, but it takes a particular type of player (Our old campaign had one...a great roleplayer, but couldn't give two squirts aboiut the rules... she'd just tell me what she wanted a character to be able to do, and I'd write it up. Even so, after a couple of years she had a pretty good grasp of the system just from use)

Well only have played the HERO System once and at that time didn't have any of the books so gave one of the players the details on the character and she wrote it up... This was like 2 years ago... since then I have gotten some of the books but haven't had a chance to use them till now. Mostly we play Exalted; Vampire; and Cthulhu... But we run till the DM/ST/GM gets tired and then a new one takes over... The GM this time wants to run Dark Champions... sooooo... gotta hurry and figure out the system...and since we are starting like next week don't have a whole long time to study and figure things out...

I bought the Hero Creator 2 but never used it till now so not real sure on how to do stuff with it...

Hopefully, if we keep with it... perhaps I will get it figured out...but probably just in time to start some other game system... Heck I am kicking around running TORG when its my turn again... ROFL....

You can purchase a PDF download of Sidekick for $7.00 and then you'd have the basic core of the game right now...

I use the full system but I purchased 2 copies of sidekick for new players to familairize them with the system. Once you have the basics from sidekick the rest is a breeze. This also allows you to then later purchase 5ER to add the bells and whistles.

Hope this helps

Well only have played the HERO System once and at that time didn't have any of the books so gave one of the players the details on the character and she wrote it up... This was like 2 years ago... since then I have gotten some of the books but haven't had a chance to use them till now. Mostly we play Exalted; Vampire; and Cthulhu... But we run till the DM/ST/GM gets tired and then a new one takes over... The GM this time wants to run Dark Champions... sooooo... gotta hurry and figure out the system...and since we are starting like next week don't have a whole long time to study and figure things out...

I bought the Hero Creator 2 but never used it till now so not real sure on how to do stuff with it...

Hopefully, if we keep with it... perhaps I will get it figured out...but probably just in time to start some other game system... Heck I am kicking around running TORG when its my turn again... ROFL....

ROFL! TORG! OMGWTF!!!11!1!!

For a start, I'd suggest having some patience with yourself and with the system. You may want to read a few things on your own-- say, some of the rules, or the notes appended to the weapons tables-- to prepare. Then, I'd sit down with someone else in the group who is familiar with the basic rules of the system and either let them translate your words into numbers, or have them help you do it yourself.

If no one in your group will help you do this, they're a bunch of juvenile assholes. Tell them so. Really let them have it. If they don't accept your opinion, threaten to convince them through physical violence, then grab the GM's hair with your right hand, drop to your left knee, and, using your body weight, bring his face crashing down upon your right knee. That should at least stun him, especially coupled with the fact that he likely wasn't expecting it.

If the GM doesn't have hair, suggest to him that he grow some, as baldness is "out." Avoid him and the rest of the group while he grows hair, then proceed with the steps above.

If he was expecting it... man, that guy's Benedict. You're on your own.