Official PRIMUS Question

winterhawk

Not an official answer, but...

On the one hand, PRIMUS is a uniformed agency, akin to the military in that respect. (Yes, I know PRIMUS is a law enforcement agency and not military. But it would be similar to the military in being uniformed.) Personalization of the uniform in such agencies is not permitted, except (possibly) for the higest ranking members (remember the Eisenhower jacket, so named because Ike himself wore a jacket of that style out of personal preference).

On the other hand, PRIMUS' Avengers are fully members of and participants in the Superhuman World, and the standard therein is individualized costumes.

On the gripping hand, I see the Avenger Corps as analogous to the astronaut corps of the 50s and 60s in terms of their level of individual celebrity. Under such circumstances, I couold readily see the Avengers having a 'standard' uniform, with individual 'variations' reflecting the respective avengers' personalities and preferences.

Knock yourself out!

Here's the rub: can you really see any government agency with militaristic leanings (like Peregrine said, they're civilian...but....) saying "go ahead and customize to suit your personality?"

That said, who's to say they wouldn't in a superhero world? :) If you're having a drawing done for your SA, go ahead and customize it! The website has a full range of different uniform styles from different artists.

-Shelley (feeling surprisingly indecisive today)

Can somebody explain to me why the decision was made to do away with the Secret Identities of the Silver Avengers? I liked the idea. In my game I gave them code names. So, if one of them died, well, they replaced them. Also, they fight super criminals. Some of them are petty, bloodthirsty, revenge-minded killers. To take an example, the one from Millenium City busts Fenris. Fenris gets out. Fenris kills her husband, mother, and heaven forbid, any children she has.

Its a logical assumption. He's a killer. I recall an issue of an early nineties comic called the Protectors. A patriotic hero called Man-o-War is testifying at a senate committee. They ask why he wears a mask when police and federal agents don't.

"With all due respect, Senator, their perpatrators and foes can't tear buildings down with their bare hands."

Just my two cents. I couldn't ever wrap my head around doing away with the Secret Identity for these guys.

Just my view on it..

I have no idea what the 'official' stance is, but I would think one reason is accountability. The Silver Avengers have a great deal of power, not only physically, but in their perks as law enforcers. They must be subject to the public scrutiny in order to keep that power somewhat in check. Super heroes are a different story. Yes, they can beat the snot out of you, but very few of them could have you arrested and held just on their say so.

Silver Avengers (I believe) can.

Also, there is the hypocracy factor. In the 5th Edition Champions Universe, many nations (including the United States) are requiring registration of super heroes with the govt including Secret IDs (though that does NOT become public knowledge). Super Heroes asked to do this, then noting the Silver Avengers wearing masks might fail to be impressed of the Government's good faith. If the Govt can't even confidently protect their own who are fully exposed, how can they be trusted with a heroe's secret?

Originally posted by Knightraven

Can somebody explain to me why the decision was made to do away with the Secret Identities of the Silver Avengers?

I did that in the PRIMUS Sourcebook because I thought (and still think) that secret IDs for public employees is silly. Sure, supervillains are dangerous, but look at the real world.

The police officer who arrests dangerous criminals doesn't have one; the DA who prosecutes dangerous criminals doesn't have one; the judge who sentences the criminal doesn't have one; the prison guard who guards the criminal doesn't have one....why should a cop/investigator in spandex have one?

Anyway, that's my logic! If it fits your world to have secret IDs, then use 'em. :)

-Shelley

Well, Shelly, I don't think you saw the secondary problem that I mentioned. Making them like-superheroes but with a charming public identity smiling face is a bad thing, IMO.

In my example, after Fenris killed off her family, how would the public view Sanchez? Object of pity? Sadness?

Also, lets say it was a superpowered terrorist, ala Ember that she helped put away. He specializes in incendiary bombs. He blows up her car with her in it, killing her. Killing Silver Avenger Sanchez. A person with a public face. Thereby making Primus look vulnerable and making all the other Silver Avengers targets.

At least with a code-name, costume, Primus could simply replace the person in the suit. Who knows how many different Silver Avenger Valkyrie's there have been? Does it really matter? All that matters is that there always will be one defending Millenium City.

And, when she decides to retire and maybe have kids in her late thirties or so, the criminals never bother her or her small children ever.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by THE PATRIOT

Can somebody explain to me why the decision was made to do away with the Secret Identities of the Silver Avengers?

I hope I have this right. Isn't it because PRIMUS backs up the philosophy and even the legality behind the Meta Human Registration Act?

Yes, that's another great point. But that wasn't my original motive back in 1998. :)

-Shelley

Also, lets say it was a superpowered terrorist, ala Ember that she helped put away. He specializes in incendiary bombs. He blows up her car with her in it, killing her. Killing Silver Avenger Sanchez. A person with a public face. Thereby making Primus look vulnerable and making all the other Silver Avengers targets.

Isn't that a danger for all public figures, not just PRIMUS Avengers? It doesn't take a supervillain to make bombs.

I would rather live in a world where the police are accountable for their actions -- people with faces and names. (I'd rather live in a world without the USA PATRIOT Act, too, but that's another story.) You asked why I changed PRIMUS Avengers from Secret to Public ID, and that's why.

-Shelley

Well, Shelly, I don't think you saw the secondary problem that I mentioned. Making them like-superheroes but with a charming public identity smiling face is a bad thing, IMO.

In my example, after Fenris killed off her family, how would the public view Sanchez? Object of pity? Sadness?

At least with a code-name, costume, Primus could simply replace the person in the suit. Who knows how many different Silver Avenger Valkyrie's there have been? Does it really matter? All that matters is that there always will be one defending Millenium City.

And, when she decides to retire and maybe have kids in her late thirties or so, the criminals never bother her or her small children ever.

Just my 2 cents.

Then Fenris or Ember dies.

Just like if you kill a cop, your life isn't worth much when other cops catch you.

"Ember was killed resisting arrest, shot 142 times with high wattage plasma weaponry."

Heck, all PRIMUS has to do is leak the information to Thunderbird, and whoops, crispy critter. Sorry Fenris. We'll mount your pelt to the wall.

See, the same thing applies as for police today. If a cop dies, does that make all the other cops more vulnerable? What happens if you target a cop's family?

I can see your point. But, there's a trade off between safety (can't target what you don't know!) and public opinion (Talk about your faceless government bureaucrat.)

D

I think Mr Death has a point there. You kill the loved one of a super hero, you have a very nasty hunted. You kill the loved one of a PRIMUS Silver Avenger, you have a nasty hunted who can and will bump you up to the most wanted list, has extensive resources ,and LOTS of men beneath him to practically declare freaking war on you and the law won't help you because it's on the SA's side.

Well, using the Champions Universe book, I've circumvented the registration act. :D Go to england, register in england where you are not required to divulge your secret identity, go back to the us and, as a registered super of a UN member nation, well, there you go. :)

O.K.... That I like :D

Originally posted by Patriot

How would a Silver Avenger go about making a powerplay for the Golden avengers job?

Silver Avenger for 12 years in good standing.

I want it so bad I can Taste it!

Hope for an "accident?" :)

In the book knightraven loves so much, I'd had the GA not only as a more powerful Avenger, but also a kind of Avenger-director. Who knows? Maybe some bureaucrat in your campaign world would decide that there should be a west coast and an east coast GA?

In a more sinister vein, he could find some way to get the GA off duty for other reasons. Set up a series of events to make him look incompetent, unbalanced, or whatever. Heck, if you're talking about the really old GA, Robert Kaufman, it wasn't very far off!!

-Shelley

Rambling and exhuasted after playing bailiff downtown for hours... Oyez, oyez, oyez...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have two PRIMUS questions to pose. First question, if an agent has martial arts training, does he have to take the PRIMUS martial arts training, too? Second question, would a former CIA black-bag job expert be accepted into PRIMUS, possibly as an intelligence agent, assuming he met all other requirements?

Yours,

Mark Rand

Guest Celt

In my example, after Fenris killed off her family,...

Also, lets say it was a superpowered terrorist...

What you're describing now is more a Dark Champions setting than the four-color setting of Champions. The two aren't mutually exclusive but one has to be careful in the mix to prevent spoiling of one or both.

Originally posted by JmOz

I would say (No official word, and primus in my world is odd...)

I would say yes on 1 (But remember you only need to pay for a KS to be able to "share" all manuvers"

2) I don't see why not

Sounds good to me. :)

-Shelley

Secret ID vs Public ID

I've been more of a lurker lately than a poster , but here's my two cents .

A Secret ID for public employees is quite possible . We do not show the faces of Undercover Agents , SWAT , or , Detectives , because it endangers them on and off the job . Being recognized by chance as a Silver Avenger may endanger you , your mission , and innocent bystanders . Making you a danger to the public and preventing any public relations work . I mean what school would want a SA speaking in their school , leading their scout troop , or protecting someone else when they themselves are a target .

A Public ID does make the public and the media more open to them , but also more critical of individuals and used as political chips in the game . Instead of being SuperCops they become SuperTargets .

I agree with Shelly ...

Silver Avengers, to me at least, are basically SHIELD Agents with some super-solider serum ;)

Of course, in my game, Primus gained the Cyberline serum from The Avenger, a WWII hero who was the first recipient ;) He later returned and kicked GA/Kaufman (an anti-mutant activist) out of the position, taking the name Golden Avenger ... (Of course, GA has a secret ID ... but that's because he serves as more than an agent, he's an icon and hero).

Ultimately, it depends on the tone of the campaign world. I strive for a "real world" feel -- not four color, not Dark Champs, just something in the middle -- and make agents/Avengers as much like real world analogs as I possibly can.

There's an implicit "mutual assured destruction" with PRIMUS and VIPER/other bad guy group (or so I've played them). If VIPER whacked a Silver Avenger's family, PRIMUS would pursue a scorched earth policy until the last VIPER agent was found. That, of course, does NOT make good business sense for any bad guy group!

In another game with a different tone, of course it would necessarily "feel" differently and things should be changed accordingly. ;)

-Shelley

Only two more finals to go -- and the first year of law school is over!!!!!