Ten Commandments of Game Mastering

Trebuchet

Because I don't think I'd never seen this before today (and so I figured others might not have either), and because it seems particularly relevant in light of some of the near-paranoid posts in the "Focus" thread, I thought I'd post this:

PHIL FLEISCHMANN'S

The 10 Commandments of Game Mastering

1. Thou shalt watch thy players for signs of boredom. Thou shalt be prepared to allow them to kick some booty just for fun once in a while, even if it temporarily diverts from thy storyline.

2. Thou shalt not bear false impressions of the world to thy players. They must understand the basics of how the world works. Thou shalt not portray mooks as masterminds, nor extras as central characters, nor shalt thy have any NPC behave in a way that defies all logic. For the PCs will respond in kind, as their experience shows them is best. Thou shalt order thy universe, even if it be incomplete or hidden from the players. Let there be clarity.

3. Thou shalt shine the brightest light upon thy players' characters, and let each shine in turn. Thou shalt know their names and their stats and their styles and their desires. Thou shalt provide puzzles for the mad thinker and tragedy for the tragedian. Thou shalt provide depth for the plumber and power for the empire builder. Thou shalt provide romance for the romantic and accolades for the hero. Thou shalt provide action for the combat monster and intrigue for the intrigant. Thou shalt provide all for which thy players game, and in measure, each according to his personality and degree of success.

4. Thou shalt not praise the wisdom of thy NPCs, nor shalt thou have one NPC praise the wisdom of another, for this is nothing more than thou praising thyself. This is foolishness and an abomination unto thy players.

5. If thou wishest to display the grandness of thy intelligence, creativity, or skill, then thou shalt cease to be a GM, and shalt become a player. For the GM's task is to challenge the players and allow them to display the full measure of their intelligence, creativity, and skill.

6. Thou shalt know at least as much about the genre in which thy game dwells as the players doth know. Thou shalt endeavor to avoid cliches and predictability and that which has oft gone before.

7. Thou shalt not place a quest before thy players that is too difficult, nor too easy. Although the quest that thou layest upon them may appear to be otherwise.

8. Thou mayest freely deceive the characters, but thou shalt not deceive the players. A wise GM knows the difference.

9. Thou shalt not set one player against another. If they struggle amongst themselves on their own, that shall not be on thy head, but let them leam though their failure that the task before them is best completed with the cooperation of all.

10. Thou shalt prepare thy games dilligently and with patience. Thou shalt be prepared to welcome new players and part with those that must leave. Thou shalt not rush thy plot against the fear that thy gaming schedule will change. Keep faith and know that in the fullness of time, all thy plot twists may be revealed with their due impact.

Re: Ten Commandments of Game Mastering

What about..

"Thou shalt not suffer a munchkin to live or prosper unchecked in thy campaign, for verily shalt his corruption lead thine flock astray" ?

Too Old Testement?

::Church of the Old Regular (Fire and Brimstone) GM

How about an old style GM hymnal sing-along?

Give me that old time GM'ing (to the tune of 'Give me that old time religion')

Give me that old time GM’ing

And it’s good enough for me.

They knew the rules from cover to cover

They’d pile up PC bodies.

They’d kill all the PC’s followers

They’d didn’t put up with PC whining

An endless dungeon was our heaven

Since we are discussing the 'holy' aspects of gaming I thought I'd cross post this bit of related humor from the NGD.

Enjoy!

HM

"OldHero and the Quest for the True Game"

Session 23

OLDHERO: There it is! The WarGaming Forum!

CRYINGHERO: Oh, great.

AFTERNOONHERO: Look!

OLDHERO: There's the OldGamer from Session 21!

NITEHERO: What is he doing here?

OLDHERO: He is the Inspector of the Forum of WarGaming. He asks each

poster five questions--

AFTERNOONHERO: Three questions.

OLDHERO: Three questions. He who answers the five questions--

OLDHERO: Three questions may post in safety.

SILLYHERO: What if you get a question wrong?

OLDHERO: Then you are cast into the Forum of Eternal Bec.

SILLYHERO: Oh, I won't go.

AFTERNOONHERO: Who's going to answer the questions?

OLDHERO: Sir SillyHero!

SILLYHERO: Yes?

OLDHERO: Brave Sir SillyHero, you go.

SILLYHERO: Hey! I've got a great idea. Why doesn't Hackalot go?

HACKALOT: Yes, let me go, my liege. I will take him

single-handed. I shall make a feint to the north-east--

OLDHERO: No, no, hang on hang on hang on! Just answer the five

questions--

OLDHERO: Three questions as best you can. And we shall watch...

and pray.

HACKALOT: I understand, my liege.

OLDHERO: Good luck, brave Sir Hackalot. God be with you.

INSPECTOR: Stop! Who would post to the Forum of WarGaming must answer me

these questions three, 'ere the other side he see.

HACKALOT: Ask me the questions, Forum-Inspector. I'm not afraid.

INSPECTOR: What is your name?

HACKALOT: My name is Sir Hackalot of Gamealot.

INSPECTOR: What is your quest?

HACKALOT: To seek the True Game.

INSPECTOR: What is your favorite comic publisher?

HACKALOT: DC.

INSPECTOR: Right. Off you go.

HACKALOT: Oh, thank you. Thank you very much.

SILLYHERO: That's easy!

INSPECTOR: Stop! Who approaches the Forum of WarGaming must answer me

these questions three, 'ere the other side he see.

SILLYHERO: Ask me the questions, Forum-Inspector. I'm not afraid.

INSPECTOR: What is your name?

SILLYHERO: Sir SillyHero of Gamealot.

SILLYHERO: To seek the True Game.

INSPECTOR: What is the total damage potential for a character with a 5d6 HA NND with Does Body and a 20 STR?

SILLYHERO: I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!

INSPECTOR: Stop! What is your name?

NEWBIE: Sir Newbie of Gamealot.

NEWBIE: I seek the Game.

INSPECTOR: What is your favorite comic publisher?

NEWBIE: DC. No Marv-- Auuuuuuuugh!

INSPECTOR: Heh heh. Stop! What is your name?

OLDHERO: It is OldHero, King of the Boards.

OLDHERO: To seek the True Game.

INSPECTOR: What is the endurance cost for a Brick lifting 2 tons off the ground?

OLDHERO: What do you mean? Heroic or Superheroic Brick?

INSPECTOR: What? I...I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!

NITEHERO: How do know so much about Bricks?

OLDHERO: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king

you know.

:)

Nice. :)

5. If thou wishest to display the grandness of thy intelligence' date=' creativity, or skill, then thou shalt cease to be a GM, and shalt become a player. For the GM's task is to challenge the players and allow them to display the full measure of their intelligence, creativity, and skill.[/quote']

Hmm. I don't know about this one. I think it is okay to display your creativity through the richness of your setting and storylines. It shouldn't get in the way of good gaming and the players' enjoyment, but I think it's okay for the GM to take pride in his or her work too.

6. ...Thou shalt endeavor to avoid cliches and predictability and that which has oft gone before.

I think it depends on the level of comedy and nostalgia you wish to incorporate into your game. Sometimes cliche can be incredibly hilarious.

9. Thou shalt not set one player against another. If they struggle amongst themselves on their own, that shall not be on thy head, but let them leam though their failure that the task before them is best completed with the cooperation of all.

I couldn't agree more with this one!!! It makes me want to retch when I see a GM create a game with the premise of all the players being set against each other. A friend ran an intro to Vampire the Requiem in which all the PCs were told that only two of them would be allowed to live, so they better start picking each other off. Great! And I felt sick like nothing else when some of my fellow gamers set up a regular, "Player Dueling," session to introduce new players to D&D 3.5 (what the heck kind of players are you trying to create here?!?!).

10. Thou shalt prepare thy games dilligently and with patience....

Prepare? Yes...of course. Heh. But seriously: preparation is nice and can be very helpful; I don't think it is necessary for a good game. Some of the good ones I've had a part in were improvised.

Of course, if you are GMing a game that is all about pitting one player against another (Paranoia anyone?), then I would disagree. However, the players should know that when they enter the game.

My opinion would be that it would make a better one-shot than a campaign. In fact, a couple of friends and did something just like this for a convention a few years back... each player played a villain, who were working together, but with ulterior motives and goals.

Was a blast... got great feedback from it. However, I would never do an "All Villain" game as a campaign (just like an evil D&D party, if played correctly, should fly apart at the seams).

Prepare? Yes...of course. Heh. But seriously: preparation is nice and can be very helpful; I don't think it is necessary for a good game. Some of the good ones I've had a part in were improvised.

Likewise-- I used to know a guy who could improv great Cthulhu games practically on the fly. However, I know that under that veneer of effortlessness were actually years of effort and experience. He was so well-versed in CoC that he didn't have to "prepare," much like a professional brass musician reaches a point in his career where he doesn't need to "warm up" before playing. Take an experienced GM and tell him to wing a game, and he can do it. Take an inexperienced GM and tell him to do the same, and odds are it'll last about twenty painful minutes. In either case, evidence that the GM cared enough to be prepared for a gaming session is always appreciated.

Likewise-- I used to know a guy who could improv great Cthulhu games practically on the fly. However' date=' I know that under that veneer of effortlessness were actually years of effort and experience. He was so well-versed in CoC that he didn't have to "prepare," much like a professional brass musician reaches a point in his career where he doesn't need to "warm up" before playing. Take an experienced GM and tell him to wing a game, and he can do it. Take an inexperienced GM and tell him to do the same, and odds are it'll last about twenty painful minutes. In either case, evidence that the GM cared enough to be prepared for a gaming session is always appreciated.[/quote']

If it was "always appreciated" then I think more people would GM and do a lot more preparation. The fact that the players, half the time, take for granted everything a GM does, and do not thank or appreciate the GM... that tends to be the case more often than not. :(

If it was "always appreciated" then I think more people would GM and do a lot more preparation. The fact that the players' date=' half the time, take for granted everything a GM does, and do not thank or appreciate the GM... that tends to be the case more often than not. :([/quote']

Let me amend that: "always appreciated by me."

Hmm. I don't know about this one. I think it is okay to display your creativity through the richness of your setting and storylines. It shouldn't get in the way of good gaming and the players' enjoyment' date=' but I think it's okay for the GM to take pride in his or her work too.[/quote']

Yes. Perhaps I should have made it clearer when I wrote it. Obviously a GM is allowed to take pride in his work, but he should remember that the players are the stars of the show. I know too many GMs who think their job is to impress the players, rather than to give the players a fun game. "Look at this brilliant idea I came up with! Aren't I a genius?" "You'll be wowed by this monster/villain I created, and I'll reduce your xp award if you aren't sufficiently wowed." That was the point I was trying to make.

I think it depends on the level of comedy and nostalgia you wish to incorporate into your game. Sometimes cliche can be incredibly hilarious.

Yes. That's why I mitigated the language on this one. Sure, use the cliche for humor, but you can only do it once (at most once for each cliche), before the ironic cliche joke become a cliche itself. "Stop me if you've heard this one..."

Even that requires preparation: in knowledge of the system, genre, etc.

Yes. Perhaps I should have made it clearer when I wrote it. Obviously a GM is allowed to take pride in his work' date=' but he should remember that the players are the stars of the show. I know too many GMs who think their job is to impress the players, rather than to give the players a fun game. "Look at this brilliant idea I came up with! Aren't I a genius?" "You'll be wowed by this monster/villain I created, and I'll reduce your xp award if you aren't sufficiently wowed." That was the point I was trying to make.[/quote']

That's very true. I know a fellow who gets his ego so involved in his GMing that no character could ever possibly defeat one of his (pet) NPCs. If ever anyone found a way, he would instantly escalate the power of the NPC, and if that didn't seem to be at all plausible, he would storm out of the house (end of game session). Needless to say, I never really participate in his games (or when I do, it is as a light, comic relief character only).

So here's a little exercise (btw, good pick, Treb, I've seen this before but it bears repeating) - rate yourself as a GM against these!

PHIL FLEISCHMANN'S

1. watch thy players for signs of boredom...allow them to kick some booty just for fun once in a while, even if it temporarily diverts from thy storyline.

- I think I get a B or B+ for this. Reasonably attentive, could do better. I think the harder part is doing this on an INDIVIDUAL basis as I have so many subplots and individual storylines running. I tend to violate the "don't separate the players" rule, mainly because the players do go ahead and do their individual stuff and I let them; but since the players, outside the game, amuse themselves so much it isn't much of an issue.

2. ...not bear false impressions of the world to thy players.

- I think I do this one pretty well. If an NPC does start to seem like a more central character than intended, they usually become one then! I'd go so far as to give myself an A here.

3. ...shine the brightest light upon thy players' characters, and let each shine in turn. (summarizing) ...provide all for which thy players game, and in measure, each according to his personality and degree of success.

- This is one of the toughest but most important things. I think I'd say a B or again perhaps B+. I think I do well with letting them shine, but it's hard to keep up with all the individual needs and catering to each. It's why I don't like to do more than 6 people, generally, as PCs.

4. ...not praise the wisdom of thy NPCs, nor shalt thou have one NPC praise the wisdom of another,

- I think I do this one just fine, A.

5. If thou wishest to display the grandness of thy intelligence, creativity, or skill, then thou shalt cease to be a GM, and shalt become a player.

- Eh, mixed feelings. The GM ought to be able to display much of these things, I think, just not at the point where it's either competitive or show-offy to the players. I'll take a gentleman C here because I don't necessarily agree with this one quite enough to do it so well, but I think I do honor the basic intent of this.

6. ...know at least as much about the genre in which thy game dwells as the players doth know.

- I think I can safely Ace this one; I tend to customize the genre to my understanding, so that helps!

7. ...not place a quest before thy players that is too difficult, nor too easy.

- I'll take a B-, will always be learning in this one; on the whole I do well, but certainly have had this go both ways; this is one of the hardest on the list, I think.

8. ...freely deceive the characters, but thou shalt not deceive the players.

- Hmmm, I think I do this well. B+ or A-, deducting from a straight A only because I know I've accidentally confused people on this, but not often.

9. ...not set one player against another.

- Depends a bit on the intent here, after all, some characters want to work against each other a little and I will cater to that so long as it's still fun; so I think I'll take a straight B here on the whole, as my implementation might be off a bit from Phil's orientation here, but not so much

10. ...prepare thy games dilligently and with patience. ...be prepared to welcome new players and part with those that must leave. ...shalt not rush thy plot against the fear that thy gaming schedule will change. Keep faith and know that in the fullness of time, all thy plot twists may be revealed with their due impact

- I'll have to take a C here. Sometimes I do this great, other times not so much. Just depends on what else is going on.

In case you hadn't guessed. I wrote these commandments with specific GM's in mind. I have played with GMs who were notorious violators of each of them.

PHIL FLEISCHMANN'S

1. watch thy players for signs of boredom...allow them to kick some booty just for fun once in a while, even if it temporarily diverts from thy storyline.

- I think I get a B or B+ for this. Reasonably attentive, could do better. I think the harder part is doing this on an INDIVIDUAL basis as I have so many subplots and individual storylines running. I tend to violate the "don't separate the players" rule, mainly because the players do go ahead and do their individual stuff and I let them; but since the players, outside the game, amuse themselves so much it isn't much of an issue.

That "individual basis" thing is the killer here. That's where this commandment has some flexibility. The GM is not a baby sitter, and must concentrate on the players collectively. If one player only wants to beat up bad guys, but the rest all want to solve the mystery, the one guy is probably not going to get as much of what he wants. The needs of the many, etc. Of course, everyone likes variety, so the minority will get their days as well.

2. ...not bear false impressions of the world to thy players.

An examples: One GM delivered dialogue of mooks all the way down to the lowest level as if they were the mastermind, the dark overlord, etc. We walk into a shop to buy supplies, and the shop keeper starts insulting us and picking a fight. Some agent makes a grand soliloquy and points a Very Big Gun at me. I unleashed my biggest attack on him, thinking he's the main target (and not wanting to be shot by the megacannon), and I killed him. Not KO'ed, killed. Turns out he was a low level agent and the gun was just an ordinary machine gun. But he didn't describe it that way! I didn't mean to kill the agent, honestly!

3. ...shine the brightest light upon thy players' characters, and let each shine in turn. (summarizing) ...provide all for which thy players game, and in measure, each according to his personality and degree of success.

One player creates a character that the GM particularly likes, for whatever reason, so that one character gets to do everything. Also happens when the GM's SO is a player, though I have had GM's who thankfully didn't show such favoritism toward an SO in the game.

4. ...not praise the wisdom of thy NPCs, nor shalt thou have one NPC praise the wisdom of another,

This one is not only annoying, but laughable. I had a GM who would tell us all the time how wise and smart the NPC's were. All of us players were secretly laughing behind the GM's back at his foolishness.

5. If thou wishest to display the grandness of thy intelligence, creativity, or skill, then thou shalt cease to be a GM, and shalt become a player.

- Eh, mixed feelings. The GM ought to be able to display much of these things, I think, just not at the point where it's either competitive or show-offy to the players. I'll take a gentleman C here because I don't necessarily agree with this one quite enough to do it so well, but I think I do honor the basic intent of this.

Yes. It was the show-offyness that I was getting at. A GM should *use* the full measure of his intelligence, creativity, and skill, but the purpose is to entertain and challenge the players, not to seek accolades nor to defeat them. I had a GM once who felt it was his job to defeat whatever characters we could create. He even said as much once. It really isn't much of an accomplishment to defeat PC's when you've got an infinite amount of points/NPCs/monster/etc. to throw at them as the GM. The campaign consisted of: create a character, do some stuff for a little while, get killed, repeat.

6. ...know at least as much about the genre in which thy game dwells as the players doth know.

This one is often just a matter of experience. It's perhaps the one I most worry about for myself. It varies by genre, of course, but as much as I love the fantasy genre, I haven't read all that much fantasy literature. I like playing it more than reading it. I think I do a pretty good job of creating interesting and original ideas, but something I come up with could be a cliche without my knowing about it.

7. ...not place a quest before thy players that is too difficult, nor too easy.

I've had GM who consistantly erred on both sides of this one. A game where you can't lose is no more fun than one where you can't win.

8. ...freely deceive the characters, but thou shalt not deceive the players.

This is often about accuracy of desciption. I remember one incident where the GM described a "mist" seeping into the room which obscured vision and it was implied that it may have other harmful properties as well. We hastily retreated into the corridor, fearing poison. We tried evaporating the mist with our torches. The GM informed us that we had just set off a huge explosion. If the "mist" was flammable, why didn't our torches (which were already lit) burn it away when it started seeping into the room? When he used the word "mist," that implies something water-based, i.e., non-flammable, or at least non-explosive.

9. ...not set one player against another.

Yes, a little friendly competition is fine. But I've had GM's who actively encouraged players to kill each others' PC's, despite there being a specific quest set up. A party of adventurers comes upon some ancient ruins to explore. Instead of exploring the ruins, the party must defend themselves against each other. Anyone who actually attempts what they came to do will be instantly killed by his fellow party members. This was largely the fault of "adam henry" players, but the GM also contributed to this atmosphere.

10. ...prepare thy games dilligently and with patience. ...be prepared to welcome new players and part with those that must leave. ...shalt not rush thy plot against the fear that thy gaming schedule will change. Keep faith and know that in the fullness of time, all thy plot twists may be revealed with their due impact

An impromptu adventure is fine, and some GM's can pull it off quite well. I had one GM who never prepared anything and all adventures were just made up on the fly. This can be fun for a while, but it gets boring if you're actually interested in role playing. You want the campaign to add up to something; you want your character to grow in some meaningfull way. Endless dungeon crawls can get old quickly. Though I've had other GM's who also almost exclusively improvised adventures, but had detailed out their worlds so well that it worked - it really was a campaign and not just a series of random fights.

As far as rating myself on these, I suppose I should, since I'm the one who set them down.

1 B

2 A

3 A

4 A

5 B

6 B-

7 B+

8 A-

9 A

10 A

One player creates a character that the GM particularly likes' date=' for whatever reason, so that one character gets to do everything. Also happens when the GM's SO is a player, though I have had GM's who thankfully didn't show such favoritism toward an SO in the game.[/quote']

Wait. You've known GMs who have SOs? ;)