Clone Wars Jedi.

ParitySoul

I was reading over Star Wars d20 and I noticed that it plays nicely at the old school lower powered Jedi from the original trilogy.

But if you watch Clone Wars cartoon on CN you notice that the Jedi are WAY more powerful there.

After tinkering around I have gathered that HERO and maybe MnM are the only systems that could handle this strength level in a consistant way.

(Still relearning GURPS 4e so I shall not comment on it.)

Ever play a Sci-Fi setting with people this powerful?

Re: Clone Wars Jedi.

IT's just old fashion 350-400 point champs. Personally I can't stand the power level of the Clonewars Jedi; no grace' date=' no subtelty, way to samuri jack (a show I do indeed like, not for starwars though).[/quote']

I witnessed plenty of "grace and subtlety" in the Clone Wars animation. One particular thing that stood out was when Shaak Ti silently tied General Grievous's cloak to a train about to take off, thus giving them the breathing room they needed to escape.

But I also like the fact that it shows the Jedi have to take the "Kid Gloves" off during the Clone Wars. It shows just how serious this conflict was to have the Jedi show their powers fullest capabilities (such as when Yoda forces two troop transports to collide with one another. Most impressive)

Of course, I also love Samurai Jack and the genre it emulates (Chanbara and Wuxia films) and when watching said genre pieces I often mutter "this is how Jedi should fight". Most of my friends agree with me on this matter....

I enjoy the samuri Jack show and Wuxia too, it doesn't fit in Star Wars though. Jedi shouldn't be ripping Droid landers out of the sky, knocking over tanks or any such non-sence. It would make it a lot harder to buy when Jango caps one, or that anything short of another Jedi/sith could take one. I like my Star Wars where it is. Jedi aren't supermen, just badass ones.

This is all taste, but I'm glad to get what I want :) .

As to shaak Ti, that was pretty good, but watching Yoda pull down Droid Drop ships sort of walks all over it. You run into the why didn't she just nail Greivous, she is indeed powerful enough.

I was reading over Star Wars d20 and I noticed that it plays nicely at the old school lower powered Jedi from the original trilogy.

But if you watch Clone Wars cartoon on CN you notice that the Jedi are WAY more powerful there.

After tinkering around I have gathered that HERO and maybe MnM are the only systems that could handle this strength level in a consistant way.

(Still relearning GURPS 4e so I shall not comment on it.)

Yeah, a friend and I alternated GMing a STAR WARS game with Jedi using the package I posted here . It was a blast, but it did tend toward the "Samurai Jack" feel rather than the films. We used the "Force blade fencing" maritial art and the force-blade writeup from Star Hero. The characters were built on 350, so it was a more skill-heavy version of Supers (with equipment and vehicles for free/money of course).

Go to Lord Liaden's post about other games being converted to HERO and scroll down a bit to find all the Star Wars entries. It's a lot of help and you'll find it here . Have fun!

As to shaak Ti, that was pretty good, but watching Yoda pull down Droid Drop ships sort of walks all over it. You run into the why didn't she just nail Greivous, she is indeed powerful enough.

I have to disagree here. Most of the Jedi in the Order aren't even close to the level of Power and Mastery of The Force that Yoda, Mace, Obi-Wan and most especially Anakin posses. Even Shaak Ti, a Master Jedi of the Council (or any other of the Council members to my knowledge) doesn't come close to those characters Power levels. I assume most of the Masters on the Council are there because of Knowledge of the Force and Wisdom in using/heeding it.

From hints they give us in the Prequel films, the most powerful Jedi (in order) are:

Anakin (though he has yet to reach his full potential)

Yoda (they talk about Yoda with awe in Episode 1)

Mace (GL and Sam Jackson conspired together to make Mace "The second baddest motherfracker in the Universe")

Obi-Wan (Mentioned in some of the Novels as being one of the greatest Jedi the Order has ever seen)

They have all done some impressive feats in the films (of course they are the main characters after all) but the other Jedi haven't done anything close to what we see these characters pulling off.

Thus, I have no problem with Yoda pulling troop transports outta the Coruscant sky, while Shaak Ti has trouble with General Grievous. Mace didn't have much trouble with him at all, did he? Remember Yoda's conversation with Luke about the sinking X-Wing:

Luke: "Lifting rocks and droids is one thing, but this is completely different"

Yoda: "No! No difference! The difference is in your mind"

Luke: "You ask the impossible!"

Yoda concentrates for a moment then lifts the X-wing from the bog, much to Lukes astonishment. For effect Yoda allows the X-wing to remain suspended for a few seconds before setting it on dry land

Luke: "Master....I don't believe it!"

Yoda sighing "That....is why you fail"

And that, my friends in a nutshell is the power of a Master Jedi with a full and complete understanding of The Force. Yoda knows that The Force itself has practically no limits....it is Everywhere and found within Everything and thus, once one has removed his disbelief and fully trusts in The Force, very nearly anything should be possible.

Thats why pulling ships outta the sky is mere childsplay for one with Yoda's Power and Wisdom....

I only have so much experience with Hero and have only seen the first season of Clone Wars so far, but when I see Mace Windu fighting at a power level between Matrix Neo and Superman like that, I definately agree at a very Champions-esque SW game. The ARC Troopers alone fight like something you'd expect from Dark Champions.

If size truly matters not, one wonders why they needed a Death Star. Why couldnt

Vader just tear planets apart with the force, or drop their moon onto them?

And if -only- Yoda is that powerful, why did he run and hide from Anikin when he became Vader, rather than ripping him a new one?

If size truly matters not, one wonders why they needed a Death Star. Why couldnt

Vader just tear planets apart with the force, or drop their moon onto them?

Well, I'm just grasping at straws here, but I would think that The Force will only let you get away with "so much". Pulling ships outta the sky would be acceptable, but destroying entire planets full of living beings that add to the Living Force would be Beyond the Pale so to speak. Its not that its impossible, its that you aren't being allowed to do it....

Luke: "So The Force controlls you..."

Obi-Wan: "Yes. But it also obeys your commands."

I'm assuming The Force wouldn't obey a command to destroy an entire planet of living beings.

And if -only- Yoda is that powerful, why did he run and hide from Anikin when he became Vader, rather than ripping him a new one?

I'm thinking Yoda could take Anakin...but he can't take Anakin and Sidious working together. Sidious is incredibly powerful...he's probably on Yoda's scale. We'll see exactly how powerful in Episode III, I'm sure when Yoda and Sidious have at one another in the Senate council chambers. Should be good!

Yoda was also TIRED after lifting the Xwing and the pillar (epII). I see what your' saying I just don't think SttarWars Ball Z' date=' is right for Star Wars.[/quote']

Yeah he was. He's getting pretty old...he's arthritic and has to refresh his body with The Force in order to keep up with the likes of Dooku. It obviously tasks him to do this kind of thing for an extended period of time. I'm wondering if we'll get to see exactly what Yoda's "limits" are in the next film.

I understand where you are coming from as well. In the OT the power level of the Jedi was not quite on the Superheroic level, but it seemed to make people super-competent, but not quite X-men scale. Then we see the Prequels, where the Jedi are quite a bit more powerful and skillful than we ever saw in the OT. Then comes The Clone Wars animation, which is like Justice League to the PT's X-men.

I'm a big fan of the Jedi and I was very pleased with how competent they seemed in the PT compared to the OT. (GL said in the OT the only Jedi we saw were an untrained boy, his crippled father, a rusty old man and a dying ancient. The Jedi in the PT were always meant to be far more competent than we ever saw in the OT) but one of the things I always wanted to see is what happened if the Jedi really had to unleash their powers....and the Clone Wars allowed me to view my fantasy, and for that I love it.

My point was that there are limits, even with complete faith in the force and more mitichlorians :rolleyes: than you can shake a stick at.

I am also not familiar with the Clone Wars thing where he forced the transports to collide, and ask, was it clearly a matter of him just overpowering the transports as if they were rocks, or perhaps did he do something -subtle- like screw with the pilot's mind, or use the force to disable just the right parts to cause the transorts to veer uncontrollably for just long enough to cause the collision?

I agree with the idea that higher powered Jedi would be massive in points ... In fact, as I've been typing away at Force Powers for my SW Hero campaign, I've been using CW as an example of some of the abilities ...

I think trying to reconcile the Clone Wars cartoons with the movies is ridiculous. The cartoons are way over the top. Not that they aren't a blast - I think they're terrific fun, but very unlike Lucas's Jedi. Mace Windu can't singlehandedly defeat thousands of super-battledroids or crush General Grievous with a thought. The movies just don't bear that out.

However, by the look of it the Emperor cuts loose some comic book-level mojo on Yoda in Revenge of the Sith. That looks to be an entertaining scene.

Parity Soul, check out the thread I have going on my upcoming Advent Rising campaign here.

It features some pretty powerful psychic abilities I've dubbed the 'Advent Gifts.' I think that much of what was seen in the Clone Wars cartoon fits the power level of this campaign. :)