Building John Carter of Mars

Susano

Re: Building John Carter of Mars

Or imply that the process leading to the egg was any less enjoyable. :D

If all a heterosexual male faced with gorgeous naked humaniform women can think of is the final mechanical stages of birth, I think he has other issues to deal with. :rolleyes:

"Hold on just a sec, 'K? Your digestive tract is separate from your reproductive, right? Thought so, carry on!"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many Martians could YOU take in a fight?

I think Burroughs may have done this on purpose, since it allowed his readers to think, "on Mars, I could be a superman too!"

Pretty much.

He also made a point of talking up the fighting abilities of, well, most of the named male characters in the books.

That John regularly forgot his superstrength, leaping abilities, telepathy, and basic facts he knew just a few pages ago has to come down to some sort of head injury. ;)

Pretty much.

He also made a point of talking up the fighting abilities of, well, most of the named male characters in the books.

That John regularly forgot his superstrength, leaping abilities, telepathy, and basic facts he knew just a few pages ago has to come down to some sort of head injury. ;)

Actually, I read an interview where someone was talking to Burroughs about his typical heroes. Paraphrasing a bit, but basically they pointed out that his heroes are always paragons of physical perfection; athletic supermen who are utterly fearless and can slay hundreds of minions without batting an eye. The interviewer then said, "If your heroes are so perfect, how can we identify with them? Most people identify with a hero who has flaws. Do your characters have flaws?"

"Yes." Burroughs replied." For the most part, theyre thick as a rock."

So John Carter and James T. Kirk have the same desire / ability to mess around with any humaniform being they think is female. Whether they are or not. And leads me to wonder about the size of the egg being laid, how large the baby is when it breaks out of the shell and it's growth potential... Crocodiles and Aligators... right...

Sort of goes back to old question given to all writers... "Just where DO you get your ideas from?"

• 5 weeks later...

Hmmm. I just had an idea for a Djon Kartyer of Jupiter. He travels via force of will/dreams/GM fiat to the low-gravity planet of Earth, where his superior muscles and reflexes allow him to engage in swashbuckling adventures, do battle with exotic alien earthbeasts, and save swooning Earth damsels from certain destruction at the hands of villains.

Hmmm. I just had an idea for a Djon Kartyer of Jupiter. He travels via force of will/dreams/GM fiat to the low-gravity planet of Earth' date=' where his superior muscles and reflexes allow him to engage in swashbuckling adventures, do battle with exotic alien earthbeasts, and save swooning Earth damsels from certain destruction at the hands of villains.[/quote']

Except today is not the 1930s. So I would not expect those "swooning Earth damsels" to behave quite the same as they did in the stories. (Nor to be quite as helpless/useless either.) :yes:

Hmmm. I just had an idea for a Djon Kartyer of Jupiter. He travels via force of will/dreams/GM fiat to the low-gravity planet of Earth' date=' where his superior muscles and reflexes allow him to engage in swashbuckling adventures, do battle with exotic alien earthbeasts, and save swooning Earth damsels from certain destruction at the hands of villains.[/quote']Yeah, Superman was, indeed, prettymuch a John Carter of Mars ripoff, just in reverse.

Though, in the ERB solar system, Jupiter (Sarsoom?) wasn't a high-gravity world, it just had a really, /really/ thick atmosphere. (Or was Sarsoom Saturn? It's been a /looooong/ time since I read those books.)

Yeah' date=' Superman was, indeed, prettymuch a John Carter of Mars ripoff, just in reverse.[/quote']

Well, he was more a Gladiator (Wylie) ripoff; many of his early adventures were lifted straight from the book. Some were also lifted straight from Doc Savage (Fortress of Solitude) and even the Spider. However, yup, John Carter (and others) definitely went into the mix.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget that Captain Carter "remembers no childhood" (Psych Lim: Partial Amnesia) and has apparently always appeared to be about 30 years old. AFAIK it is never made clear just how long he has appeared to be 30... years? Decades? Even longer? It certainly would explain how he became such a great swordsman (lots of practice and experience), but on the other hand it makes it harder to believe that he is as clueless as he often acts... anyway some kind of Life Support: Longevity/Immortality seems appropriate.

Don't forget that Captain Carter "remembers no childhood" (Psych Lim: Partial Amnesia) and has apparently always appeared to be about 30 years old. AFAIK it is never made clear just how long he has appeared to be 30... years? Decades? Even longer? It certainly would explain how he became such a great swordsman (lots of practice and experience)' date=' but on the other hand it makes it harder to believe that he is as clueless as he often acts... anyway some kind of Life Support: Longevity/Immortality seems appropriate.[/quote']

The character sheet I made for him included:

5 "Not Aged Apparently A Moment": LS (Longevity: Immortal)

I also state:

"I am a very old man; how old I do not know. Possibly I am a hundred, possibly more; but I cannot tell because I have never aged as other men, nor do I remember any childhood. So far as I can recollect I have always been a man, a man of about thirty. I appear today as I did forty years and more ago, and yet I feel that I cannot go on living forever" -- So does John Carter, Gentleman of Virginia, describe himself. Aside from this scant information, we know next to nothing about his origins, where he comes from, how old he is, or where he was born. He has lived in Virginia for some time, and has been a member of the Carter family for well over 150 years. He fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War, as a captain of a unit of calvary, afterwards heading west with an old friend to look for gold in the Arizona mountains.

Don't forget that Captain Carter "remembers no childhood" (Psych Lim: Partial Amnesia) and has apparently always appeared to be about 30 years old. AFAIK it is never made clear just how long he has appeared to be 30... years? Decades? Even longer? It certainly would explain how he became such a great swordsman (lots of practice and experience)' date=' but on the other hand it makes it harder to believe that he is as clueless as he often acts... anyway some kind of Life Support: Longevity/Immortality seems appropriate.[/quote']

He's senile.