X Men Colossus and his Osmium Form

CDad

I have the following Power and Disadvantage to define the Piotr/Colossus transform.

First, he can change into an Osmium-like metal nearly instantly. He is immune to Rogue's touch, and IIRC, the nullifier didn't affect him either (then again, my memory is just good enough for me to find the bathroom).

8 Colossus' Osmium Form: Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (Poitr into Osmium Form), Difficult To Dispel (x8 Active Points; +1/2); Same Clothing ([Limited]; -1/2), No Range (-1/2)

Note: A Supress or Dispel would need 136 points to return Colossus to Piotr.

His biggest limitation is that should he become unconscious, he immediately reverts back to Piotr. I believe this includes falling asleep (his longest time in Osmium form was ~5 days), but again,, that pesky memory. So...

20 Osmium Catastrophe!: Reverts to Human Form if Unconsious; Always Occurs(Uncommon)

To represent his basic Osmium form, I threw this together...

23 Osmium Form: LS (Eating: Character does not eat; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep every 5 days)

Any suggestions?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: X Men Colossus and his Osmium Form

I have the following Power and Disadvantage to define the Piotr/Colossus transform.

First, he can change into an Osmium-like metal nearly instantly. He is immune to Rogue's touch, and IIRC, the nullifier didn't affect him either (then again, my memory is just good enough for me to find the bathroom).

8 Colossus' Osmium Form: Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (Poitr into Osmium Form), Difficult To Dispel (x8 Active Points; +1/2); Same Clothing ([Limited]; -1/2), No Range (-1/2)

Note: A Supress or Dispel would need 136 points to return Colossus to Piotr.

His biggest limitation is that should he become unconscious, he immediately reverts back to Piotr. I believe this includes falling asleep (his longest time in Osmium form was ~5 days), but again,, that pesky memory. So...

20 Osmium Catastrophe!: Reverts to Human Form if Unconsious; Always Occurs(Uncommon)

To represent his basic Osmium form, I threw this together...

23 Osmium Form: LS (Eating: Character does not eat; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep every 5 days)

Any suggestions?

Well, I did the write-up as a Multi-form since as I understood it Peter in his normal human form was just a normal guy with some nice stats. It naturally included a lot of stuff as a result.

So I don't quite see where you're coming from...

Couldn't have been vaguer if I tried. Sigh....

I thought about Multiform, but decided agianst it since he's still Piotr (full memory, can still paint up a storm... heh... pun time... ) while in Osmium form, so I am heading down the Only in Osmium form trail.

The Transform is his method of... transforming.

The Osmium Catastrophe is a disadvantage that makes him revert to Piotr whenever he is unconscious.

I was listing the Life Support to see if anyone sees glaring (or minute) errors.

I plan to make him a decent 75-100 points of Piotr, and use the rest to represent his Mutant powers (armor, pumped up stats, etc...)

Hope that helps.

I thought about Multiform' date=' but decided agianst it since he's still Piotr (full memory, can still paint up a storm... heh... pun time... ) while in Osmium form, so I am heading down the Only in Osmium form trail..[/quote']

Ah. Ok.

I had the same choice and went the lazy route. Rather then define his stats as normal/hero ID and make a mess of the character sheet I went with Multi-Form. Saved me more trouble as that defines the instant change (I hate the 5e transform version, way too much work for what it was meant to do).

I just gave him the same skills and mental stats in both forms. The SPX says he's the exact same person with physical changes only.

You actually have a number of choices:

1. Multi-form

2. Only in Hero ID

3. Blow it off, you can just assume that he activates his armor/powers when he wants and go from there (this is suggested in the book).

The Transform is his method of... transforming.

This sucks because it's nothing like how the actual power works. And It's a complex build to boot. I want the old power back.

However OIHID typical takes a phase to change, so I don't see a way around it.

The Osmium Catastrophe is a disadvantage that makes him revert to Piotr whenever he is unconscious.

Multi-form has this 'reversion' limits defined for it.

But this is good.

I was listing the Life Support to see if anyone sees glaring (or minute) errors.

I gave him total Life Support. Easier to put on sheet and it seems correct to me.

IMO, the Transform/Instant Change is pretty unnecessary, and maybe even ill-advised. Why not give him DI with Visibility* (defined as his Hero ID), and then a bunch of other stuff (Armor, maybe more STR, LS) bought with OIHID? Transform/Instant Change is for changing your clothes, since changing yourself would use Shapeshift, and while my knowledge of the X-Men is rather limited, I'm pretty sure Piotr's mutation changes his body, not his duds.

*If DI is Visible by default, so much the better: it perfectly deals with his changing appearance.

This is the way I'd go about doing Petey:

Osmium Steel Form, all slots OIHID (-1/4)

Osmium Steel Skin: Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); OIHID (-1/4) [36 RC]

Invulnerable : Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); OIHID (-1/4) [12 RC]

Invulnerable: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); OIHID (-1/4) [12 RC]

Strength of Steel: +50 STR (50 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), OIHID (-1/4) [28]

Immune to Rogue's touch? She's mimicked his powers on at least one occassion in the past. Uncanny X-Men #194 (June 1985), she absorbed the powers of Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Shadowcat to take on Nimrod (the Uber-Sentinel from the future).

By the by, a fairly decent write-up of Colossus (in terms of both stats & background/history) can be found here.

He is immune to Rogue's touch' date=' [/quote']

He is?

I recall where Rogue used Kitty's, Nightcrawler's, and Colossus' power combined against Magnus. But do not have the comic in front of me, guess she could have copied the power from Peter in his human form, then changed.

*does a bit more research*

Hunh, seems Colossus touched and kissed Rogue without effect in X-Men (2nd series) #100. Apparently a storyline was planned, but with Piotr dead, it will probably be forgotten about. Then again, he did get better (resurrected in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men).

However, she has touched & absorbed his powers in: Uncanny X-Men #179; X-Men & Alpha Flight (1st series) #1; Heroes for Hope #1; Uncanny X-Men #208 & 247; and X-Men (2nd series) #80, 102, 106, and 107.

( http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight/showquestion.asp?faq=10&fldAuto=56&page=11 )

*does a bit more research*

Hunh, seems Colossus touched and kissed Rogue without effect in X-Men (2nd series) #100. Apparently a storyline was planned, but with Piotr dead, it will probably be forgotten about. Then again, he did get better (resurrected in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men).

However, she has touched & absorbed his powers in: Uncanny X-Men #179; X-Men & Alpha Flight (1st series) #1; Heroes for Hope #1; Uncanny X-Men #208 & 247; and X-Men (2nd series) #80, 102, 106, and 107.

( http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight/showquestion.asp?faq=10&fldAuto=56&page=11 )

Thanks. I knew my memory was faulty, but I was dang sure I'd seen Colossus nonplussed by Rogue.

I am pretty sure all there are better ways of building Colossus than what I originally posted - multiform sounds pretty easy.

I guess I was trying to build the most angst-ridden, nit-picky and frustrating version - not the best idea I've come up with.

Thanks for the input!

I am pretty sure all there are better ways of building Colossus than what I originally posted - multiform sounds pretty easy.

I guess I was trying to build the most angst-ridden, nit-picky and frustrating version - not the best idea I've come up with.

Thanks for the input!

Hey no need for self-deprication CDad. I like to see people try to come up with new ways to represent an old idea. Good to see you thought it out and were receptive to feedback.

Just a suggestion, I wouldn't worry overly much about the whole Rogue thing. We all know that it's going to change from writer to writer so you should either ignore it altogether or compromise. Give him a wee bit of Power Defense and call it a day.

Just a suggestion' date=' I wouldn't worry overly much about the whole Rogue thing. We all know that it's going to change from writer to writer so you should either ignore it altogether or compromise. Give him a wee bit of Power Defense and call it a day.[/quote']

Heck, Rogue's powers fluctuate inside a writer's span of work.

As to Power Defense, I do recall a time when Colossus had been cosmetically altered by Masque to appear like his steel form in normal ID. At the time he'd forgotten his old identity and powers but he did instinctively transform when stabbed in his steel-looking but flesh shoulder. Afterwards, when he turned back, he'd reset to his default human look, erasing Masque's Transform attack. Issue in question is Uncanny X-men #263. Makes me wish, Pete had been turned to stone or something at some point so we could have seen if his power would change him back.

Easy is good.

More importantly, never use exact "copies" of published characters in your campaign. It just encourages rules lawyers. "But Colossus can't/wouldn't/whatever do that!"

As far as the character goes, I would use an old-school OIHID design. It's easy, and the +1/4 modifier means he's acceptably tough.

Unfortunately, Colossus' super-form isn't Persistent. This can suck hugely in a game. Getting Stunned happens.

You might be able to build a character with almost everything linked to his defences, if the latter aren't persistent. That might work almost as well as OIHID. A kind GM might let you stack Linked and OIHID. I wouldn't, but it would be a good scam if you can get away with it.

Two priorities are involved here: simplicity and minimaxing. If you keep it simple, you are less likely to be accused of munchkinism. :)

Transform/Instant Change is for changing your clothes' date=' since changing yourself would use Shapeshift, and while my knowledge of the X-Men is rather limited, I'm pretty sure Piotr's mutation changes his [i']body[/i], not his duds.

Shapeshift... Yes, that would work.

If you're going the OIHID way, I'd used Shapeshift.

I wouldn't give Colossus Power Defense to protect him from Rogue's powers. I'd limit Rogue's powers so that she can't affect Colossus.

If her powers require "Skin to skin contact", a GM can easily rule that Colossus' Osmium form isn't "skin" by any stretch of the imagination. When you consider that another GM can just as easily rule the opposite, you've modeled the effect of multiple writers on Rogue's powers perfectly.

Keith "Can't touch this" Curtis

Shapeshift... Yes, that would work.

If you're going the OIHID way, I'd used Shapeshift.

Why use anything? The osmium form is just the special effect of him turning on his power.

Oh, and I agree with Kieth on handling the Rogue thing.

Why use anything? The osmium form is just the special effect of him turning on his power.

Oh, and I agree with Kieth on handling the Rogue thing.

As I said above, the rule books suggests this.

Some people however (myself included) want to account for his now non-human appearance and his existence as a normal person (and his vulnerability in that state).

After all, he IS different than Superman. Hit Clark with a car and the result is as if you hit Superman. Hit Peter in human form and it's time to start mopping up blood.

In the end, as in most things, it depends upon the campaign. I intend to take advantage of such openings once in a while- thus it should be reflected on his character sheet.

Hence OIHID for his powers...duh!

Hawksmoor

-note the cartoon voice!

Well yes.

But the default for going from normal to Hero ID takes time and a costume (a silly small amount of time. A single phase I believe, but it's still time), that isn't the case for Pete.

HERO 5th seems to think that you can do the same thing just by turning on your powers.

I feel Instant Change had a reason to exist in the old rules and still long for those days. If Pete can go instantly to HERO ID, he should pay for it in some way.

Odd perhaps given that I don't care about the total points in the least...

Costume is not required...just a definitive change from normal to Hero mode.

As to the Phase to change thing, I say that it takes a "time period" and hence is interruptable but not that it takes a full phase. Thus a character can go HID and still have and action or that someone can KO you or worse before your phase to interupt the change.

That might not be the rule, but that is how I run it when I GM my games. Not GGU games, for that I defer to FRED and Jack's Rules.

Hawksmoor

Costume is not required...just a definitive change from normal to Hero mode.

What are you smoking man! Everyone knows you can't be a superhero if you don't have a costume! :)

These young people these days. Next thing you know they'll be telling Superman died or something...

That might not be the rule, but that is how I run it when I GM my games. Not GGU games, for that I defer to FRED and Jack's Rules.

Frankly I'm so upset over losing the real Instant Change power that I never took the effort to look it up in 5e. I've been running it the old way forever (and that was 1 phase to change at least, I always made them take longer).