How do I build Fear?

Howdy all,

I'm trying to figure out how to build a Fear power that would be resisted by Ego, but would result in a penalty to the target's OCV/DCV. Essentially, the target would be shaken by the Fear attack.

I could build this as a Pre attack, but frankly, I hate the Pre attack system. I don't think it reflects, mechanically, the impact of terror.

So, how do I go about building this?

Cheers!

Re: How do I build Fear?

You could have a Mind Control... "Fear Only" and then, mechanically, link a Dex drain or some such... so that the "shaken" is trembling and fumbling until they can focus.

The linked drain only goes off if the Mind Control "Be Afraid" hits a certain level... like probably +30 over EGO after defenses. Drain immediately recoups if character makes Ego roll to overcome.

A bit kludgy, but could get the exact effect you are looking for.

In fact, I kinda like this, and might build it for a villain in my campaign.

Thanks!

Howdy all,

I'm trying to figure out how to build a Fear power that would be resisted by Ego, but would result in a penalty to the target's OCV/DCV. Essentially, the target would be shaken by the Fear attack.

I could build this as a Pre attack, but frankly, I hate the Pre attack system. I don't think it reflects, mechanically, the impact of terror.

Cheers!

Xd6 Mind Control, Empathy Only, One Emotion Only.

After looking over the HERO 5R book, I think I'm with Susano on this and it should be built with Change Environment.

I think I'll get what I want if I used Change Environment to give penalties to the CVs of the targets and then added the following modifiers:

1) Requires Skill Roll (Attack Roll)

2) Based on Ego Combat Value

3) No Range

4) Hole in the Middle

What do you think?

There's an option for giving someone Negative Combat Skill Levels (not sure exactly where at the moment; probably under Combat Skill Levels).

So, three possibilities:

1. Change Environment (I'd suggest Personal Immunity rather than Hole In The Middle, though).

2. DEX Drain (possibly limited to Only Affects CV)

3. Negative CSLs.

Depending on how this really works inside the actual game, you might want a Multi-power.

For "Fear Aura" have a slot which is a Change Environment with negatives CSLs" and generally effects everyone around.

For Fear Attac... try Mind Control or DEX drain, or combination of them.

You could have other slots as well, depending on how crunchy you want to get. Though it was in jest, you could use Sean Waters ideas.

One slot: Mind Control "Run away as fast as you can"

Two slot: Mind Control "Do nothing but beg me to let you live!"

etc. Basically, all the different ways Fear can affect someone, you put that in various slots and use it as you will.

What I was planning on using it for was for a Dark Jedi in an upcoming Star Wars game I'm going to run.

I've converted Star Wars d20 over to the CODA system (Decipher's Lord of the Rings and Star Trek games) and I'm pretty satisfied with the results so far, but this Star Wars game is only going to last for a few sessions (up until the new film comes out) and then we're going to play the HERO game I've been working on. After reading around on the boards, I'm thinking that this Star Wars campaign would be a great way for my player to learn the HERO system before I start the non-Star Wars campaign.

I wanted this Fear ability to act the way it does in d20 and CODA (give penalties to the target's combat abilities).

I've been looking back over my HERO 5eR, and I think that the suggestion that someone made earlier of using Negative Combat Levels and adding Ranged and BOECV to it would do what I want.

I don't want to use Mind Control, because I don't want the results of the Fear to be roleplayed, I want them to be mechanical. However, I do like the idea of using a Multipower to make different uses of Fear (area affect, concentrated effect, etc...).

I've been looking back over my HERO 5eR' date=' and I think that the suggestion that someone made earlier of using Negative Combat Levels and adding Ranged and BOECV to it would do what I want.[/quote']

Yeah. I'd go with that. Only, I'd suggest using Area of Effect instead of Ranged if you really want to make it an, "aura." A Dex Drain would work too, I suppose.

Eh. I personally do use Presence Attacks for this sort of thing. You can always decide on a mechanic, such as (just an off-the-top-of-my-head suggestion): -1 if you beat the target's Ego/Pre, and an additional -1 per +10 by which you make the roll.

I think Change Environment would probably work against your allies too (and would likely be a universal penalty, not just a penalty with respect to you, though for all I know that might be what you want). I would also be doubtful about it giving more than like a -1, as Change Environment really isn't supposed to have that huge of a direct affect on combat.

The effects of fear are unpredicatable. You might want to think of three or four possible effects, put them in a multipower and apply the 'uncontrolled (-1) limitation to the whole thing. That way you can make someone afraid but you'll never QUITE be sure how they'll react.

Yeah, I like Personal Immunity better than Hole in the Middle.

One question I have thought is, if I built the power this way, would the character have to make seperate attack rolls on each person in the area, or would he just make one and apply it to each seperately?

If you build it as a Change Environment or an Area Effect mental power, you roll your attack against the area not who's in it. Of course, if it is a zero range attack, the roll is an attack against a 0 CV, so you won't be missing often.

Howdy all,

Cheers!

My initial gut responst was a Drain DEX, Ranged & BOECV. Versus a single target, it does exactly what you want. It will be harder to affect a target with a high EGO or Mental Defense. Versus Multiple Targets, you can put Area of Effect on it (probalby with Non-Selective, so you have to roll against individual ECVs, but have to roll versus everyone in the area) with Personal Immunity. If you go AE, you can probably drop the Ranged as it should probably be centered on the character. If it's an aura, AE: Radius... if it's an attack, AE: Cone. The upside is that you will probably get exactlty what you want. The downside it that it's probably gonna be expensive.

You can technically do this with Change Environment, but you have to choose between OCV and DCV or buy the CE twice (once for each). The same with Negaive Combat Skill Levels as an attack. Also, with the CE, there is no resistance unless you invent a Limitation to go with it, and the Negative Combat Skill Levels would be an all or nothing effect. The upside is that either of these methods will be relative cheep.

If you want to hurt their OCV/DCV, then the Dex Drain writeups are the way to go.

If you want them to run around like they are terrified, then the power already exists. Witchcraft has it in her "Greater Witcheries" multipower. It's called "Terrors of the Dark"

It's a ranged PRE Drain. Which seemed counter-intuitive until I read the rules for low/negative PRE scores. According to ReFred, P38, characters with Negative PRE must make a PRE Roll to remain in the vicinity of anything remotely threatening. If they fail they run away screaming.

So: A power that, if it works well enough forced enemies to roll or flee.

Problem solved!

If you want to hurt their OCV/DCV, then the Dex Drain writeups are the way to go.

If you want them to run around like they are terrified, then the power already exists. Witchcraft has it in her "Greater Witcheries" multipower. It's called "Terrors of the Dark"

It's a ranged PRE Drain. Which seemed counter-intuitive until I read the rules for low/negative PRE scores. According to ReFred, P38, characters with Negative PRE must make a PRE Roll to remain in the vicinity of anything remotely threatening. If they fail they run away screaming.

So: A power that, if it works well enough forced enemies to roll or flee.

Problem solved!

That's interesting. Even if it isn't quite effective enough to make then crap their pants, it sure makes it easier for your regular old Presence Attack (executed immediately afterward since you don't have to wait for your Phase to do a Free Action--as opposed to a Zero-Phase Action) to make them do it. :)

You can technically do this with Change Environment' date=' but you have to choose between OCV and DCV or buy the CE twice (once for each). The same with Negaive Combat Skill Levels as an attack. Also, with the CE, there is no resistance unless you invent a Limitation to go with it, and the Negative Combat Skill Levels would be an all or nothing effect. The upside is that either of these methods will be relative cheep.[/quote']

I don't think you have to buy the CE twice. I think you can just buy another level of effect as a 3-5 point Adder (not sure of the exact value for CV). I just wouldn't likely let you go much beyond this as a GM myself. Like I've said, though, CE may not be what he wants, as it will also affect friends unless bought as Selective (in which case attack rolls will be required).

I don't think you have to buy the CE twice. I think you can just buy another level of effect as a 3-5 point Adder (not sure of the exact value for CV). I just wouldn't likely let you go much beyond this as a GM myself. Like I've said' date=' though, CE may not be what he wants, as it will also affect friends unless bought as Selective (in which case attack rolls [i']will[/i] be required).

5th ed revised CE has a "Multiple Combat Effects" adder that takes care of this issue.