Looking for Firearm Resource

Guest Confusinator

Guest Confusinator

Does anyone have a link to an online Firearm Encyclopedia type website? I'm looking for a site that I can search on by year of manufacture (ex. show me pistols made in 1916)

Thanks.

Re: Looking for Firearm Resource

Hmm... I'm not aware of anything that specific, especially for the pulp era.

Closest I can come is Dany St. Pierre's Hero Pulp website. His links to descriptions, illos and HERO stats for firearms of the pulp era often includes date of manufacture and use.

Hopefully this summer's Pulp HERO genre book will have that kind of information. Tell you what, I'll poke around among the online pulp gaming resources I know of, and see if I can dig up anything. :)

I doubt you'll find anything, LL, though I wish you luck. That sort of information is readily available in reference books, though offhand I'm not even aware of any in my library that list the weapons chronologically the way Confusinator seems to want.

Pulp Hero will definitely include the dates of first availability for the firearms and vehicles listed in Chapter Five, but as with the reference books I mentioned above, it will just be one data point among many -- not an axis on which the data's organized.

The bset chances might be something like the "collectors guide to gun Values" though it won't be chronologically separated, it should have production dates and such.

If there are specific guns you are looking for, maybe if you post them we gun geeks can find data for you.

One of the ones I am interested in for an interwar "pulp" setting is the Avtomat Federyov (sp?) the Russian WWI assault rifle. IIRC they made about 5 thousand of them, but the revolution intervened.

Guest Confusinator

You mean this gun?

http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/BeforeWWII/MS1/fedorov/avtomat.jpg

If you brush up on your Russian, that site will probably tell you everything you want to know. I couldn't find much else though.

I was not looking for any specific firearm, I just wanted to update my webpage with an appropriate selection for the period.

You mean this gun?

http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/BeforeWWII/MS1/fedorov/avtomat.jpg

If you brush up on your Russian, that site will probably tell you everything you want to know. I couldn't find much else though.

I was not looking for any specific firearm, I just wanted to update my webpage with an appropriate selection for the period.

Thats the one. Anthony Williams and Max Popenecker just published a book on the history of the "Assault Rifles" It had some interesting history.

The federov was far in advance of its time, and though heavy would have made the tommy guns of the depression completely lame. As it was, the police and some crooks who were smart preferred the BAR. It did a much better job versus vehicles, and thought the . 45 acp is a decent pistol round, it doesn't hold a candle to the .30-06 in general. The Federov would have weighed about the same as a Tommy gun, iirc, and had FAR more power and range.

A semi-automatic rifle that might be consideredfor use in a Pulp game (not perhaps well known) is the Mondragon. Invented in Mexico and used by the German aerial observers early in World War 1. Like a lot of early semi automatic rifles it is a bit "delicate" from the reports I read. It was also possible to get shoulder stocks for some semi-auto pistols (the famous 1896 Mauser was one) that could turn them into semi-auto carbines !

And The Mauser also had a full auto version that had a 20 round magazine.

(I'm not much of a gun geek am I?) :bounce:

IIRC nicknamed Scnellfeuer

There was also a snail clip for the Luger that held about 20 rds.

Another one of those little oddities that appeared around the First World War is the "Pederson Device", This was a er device that replaced the bolt assembly of a Springfield rifle, transforming it into an assault rifle! Unfortunately it required a special short .30 calibre cartridge to make it work. Apparently a large number of these were made for the Springfield, Enfield, and Moison-Nagant rifle but World War 1 ended before they could be used. Now I can just imagine a crafty hero carrying one of these (plus appropriate ammunition) with him wile going into hostile territory where he knows he is likely to be facing large numbers of opponents armed with conventional bolt action rifles !

Another one of those little oddities that appeared around the First World War is the "Pederson Device"' date=' This was a er device that replaced the bolt assembly of a Springfield rifle, transforming it into an assault rifle! Unfortunately it required a special short .30 calibre cartridge to make it work. Apparently a large number of these were made for the Springfield, Enfield, and Moison-Nagant rifle but World War 1 ended before they could be used. Now I can just imagine a crafty hero carrying one of these (plus appropriate ammunition) with him wile going into hostile territory where he knows he is likely to be facing large numbers of opponents armed with conventional bolt action rifles ![/quote']

It was kind of silly, turned the springfield into a .32acp SMG!

Why not just carry a little smg for such roles instead of a pistol?

:)

Addendum There aren't any "little " submachine guns either. Most of them weigh over 4Kg (about 5lbs) and they aren't that easy to conceal as the magazines tend to stick out either the bottem or the side. The small, cheap "throw away" SMG doesn't really start until the development of the Sten during World War II.

We are talking World War I here. There aren't any submachine guns until the development of the Bergman in spring1918 ! Thompson's design just missed the war (1919) and all of the others are later than that !

The Thompson Submachine gun was in production during WWI and almost saw combat service. Thousands were in crates on the dock in NYC awaiting shipment on 11/11/1918 the day WWI ended. If the war had continued into 1919 it would have seen service.

We are talking World War I here. There aren't any submachine guns until the development of the Bergman in spring1918 ! Thompson's design just missed the war (1919) and all of the others are later than that !

Realistically the Pederson device was an automatic pistol that fit inside the Springfield and fired down the barrel. It wouldn't have been too hard to make it a self contained unit.

• 4 weeks later...

Realistically the Pederson device was an automatic pistol that fit inside the Springfield and fired down the barrel. It wouldn't have been too hard to make it a self contained unit.
Maybe ! But with the development of the Thompson and other SMG's (and their weren't that many, just as their weren't that many semi-automatic rifles developed between the wars) the Pederson Device was not developed. Pederson went on to develop a 7mm semi-automatic rifle using a "hesitation lock" breech and a lubricated (dry wax) cartridge, but it lost out to the .30 calibre Garand when tested in the U S A and only the Japanese ever came close to adopting it !

most people consider the Villar Perosa Gun to be the first sub machine gun. If you search the web you can find pictures of one though it tends to be a version that has 2 of them linked together. Odd Gun it has a top mounted magazine. it was invented in 1915.