Super Steve

Guest Black Lotus

Guest Black Lotus

This may be a crass thing to say -- in fact, I'm nearly certain it is -- but seeing Steve Long mingle freely with the "rabble" here on the HERO boards is akin to seeing an actual superhero wandering about in Wal-Mart. It just boggles my mind. I know he's simply the writer who revitalized the HERO System, and I know he's no huge celebrity, but I still find it fascinating.

It's not the fact that he posts on the boards, really, but the fact that he behaves as a normal human being, which is uncommon. For example, over at the WotC forums, normally the only time the game designers show up on the boards is to promote their products. If you want a question answered, you're up the primordial estuary without a paddle.

Yet Steve will post replies to just about any thread.

*shrug* It may not seem like much to you oldies, but it sure makes some kind of an impression on me. Mainly, it just boggles me. I mean, the guy is churning out genre books, but he still finds time to post on the boards EVERY DAY.

::gets distracted:: WHAT IS THIS NEW EMOTICON! :dh:

Re: Super Steve

::gets distracted:: WHAT IS THIS NEW EMOTICON! :dh:

Beating a dead horse.

Oh and the Steve thing. Ssshhhh! We do not want him and Darren getting swelled heads. We need their brain power devoted to putting out more and more quality product. I need The Ultimate Power Armor like NOW!

Hawksmoor

This may be a crass thing to say...

...*shrug* It may not seem like much to you oldies, but it sure makes some kind of an impression on me.

Speaking as a semi-oldie I'd say that it does make an impression on me, because I've been around long enough to watch the change from hobby to industry. Being lucky enough to spend time with people like Ken St. Andre, Mike Stackpole and Lou Zocchi in the past has been wonderful, and the fact that writers and designers were prepared to treat me as a regular bloke and not just a customer was important. Inevitably as businesses grew it became harder for that personal touch to reach everyone, and with a big company the staff dealing with the public are not likely to be the creative team, but just because it's been an inevitable and understandable progression doesn't make it less sad.

And then along comes someone like Steve Long and you realise that some folks still do things the old-fashioned way.

As for being "a crass thing to say"... Well, the day it becomes crass to praise someone for doing their job well and giving something extra is going to be a sad day for us all.

Guest Black Lotus

Beating a dead horse.

Oh and the Steve thing. Ssshhhh! We do not want him and Darren getting swelled heads. We need their brain power devoted to putting out more and more quality product. I need The Ultimate Power Armor like NOW!

Hawksmoor

Actually, I would love UPA. Power Armor is my favorite thing ever (thanks to the Fallout series, I suspect).

Oh, and I did infer the meaning of the "beating a dead horse" icon; I was just really surpised to see it there all of a sudden. :king:

Yes, thanks for the kind words. I don't necessarily mean to speak for Steve, but I remember very strongly how important the general kindnesses and helpful advice I got from established pros like Steve, Mike Stackpole, Ken Hite, Aaron Allston and S. John Ross were to me when I was starting out in the industry, and it's an ongoing thrill for me to count guys like that now as my industry-mates and even in some cases friends. Steve's a little older than me (just a little, snark!), but I think we both sort of grew up with the RPG (and Hero in particular) fan base in existence, as opposed to the OGs who actually built the thing, so maybe we're a little more conscious of the community presence. Or maybe it's just that we're somewhere around #6-10, so we have to try harder! dw

Guest Black Lotus

Now that I've had my coffee, I can probably put a more coherent statement together regarding the current HERO System writers, and my admiration for their conduct and accomplishments.

Like many of the folks on this board, I'd venture, I've been a gamer for all of my teenage and adult lifetime. During that time, I've had the opportunity to experience many game systems, including many of those published by: the former TSR (and may flights of angels sing them to their rest); White Wolf Studios; Steve Jackson Games; Palladium; FASA; and a plethora of others too extensive to mention here.

Never before have I seen a system quite like HERO, though. 5ER has quite a few things going for it: the editing and indices are superior to any other gaming system ever published; the extensive game rule examples and excellent online support (i.e., this message board) make it possible for even first-timers to use HERO the way they want to use it; it's a very versatile system (of course); the book is designed for ease of use and durability, and the layout is lacking the fancy illustrations that often replace solid content in roleplaying games these days; and finally, although excellent HERO and Champions sourcebooks are published frequently, you TRULY do not need them to run your game. They make a GM's job easier, and unlike, dare I say it, d20 sourcebooks, HERO sourcebooks are complete and full-featured.

On top of all this, which I have only recently experienced first-hand within the past couple of months, the writers maintain a constant, friendly, and amicable presence in the online community. So, in short, I feel as though HERO is being published by gamers, for gamers, instead of by someone just out to make a profit by taking advantage of a franchise -- which does, indeed, seem to be the case.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due -- and there you have it.

I'm certainly going to agree with you there.

I just started gaming in january of this year (RPG a least) and the reason I got involved was the system was so flexible and interesting. And because almost all of the gamers I know at school love it. When I came to the boards I was shocked to see Steve had posted in response to questions other gamers had. That definately sealed the deal for me. Maintaining contact with us is really important, and it says a lot to someone who isn't used to it.

Mmmm, my first RPG game and my first book. A birthday gift after my friends conned me into turning one of my worlds into an environment for them. And constantly I'm remindind of what a good choice it was.

^-^

I have to agree with what everyone has been saying (Fanboy club member #5267). At first the involvement is impressive, but what has caught my eye in the past few weeks is also the lack of involvement. The system is flexible, and the fans are able to put forth their own interpretations and debate very minor details without having being beat over the head with official pronouncements. It is the ability to see ones work torn apart, rebuilt, and remain quiet that I truly respect.

I'm certainly going to agree with you there.

I just started gaming in january of this year (RPG a least) and the reason I got involved was the system was so flexible and interesting. And because almost all of the gamers I know at school love it. When I came to the boards I was shocked to see Steve had posted in response to questions other gamers had. That definately sealed the deal for me. Maintaining contact with us is really important, and it says a lot to someone who isn't used to it.

Mmmm, my first RPG game and my first book. A birthday gift after my friends conned me into turning one of my worlds into an environment for them. And constantly I'm remindind of what a good choice it was.

^-^

bah, enlightend self intrest. You knew MP, so we pretty much had to let you learn everything else with your concept.

Plus andy wanted the book.

Back in the 90s, when I first discoverd the internet, one of the first things I did was seek out the websites for all of my favorite role-playing games. What I found was shocking. Not to diss any other boards or their members, but I felt massively discouraged to post to just about any message board out there. Then I came across my old BBB, thought to myself that I hadn't played Champions in years, and wondered if the Hero System had a message board (and maybe I could get a few things about the rules clarified that I'd always wondered about). And wouldn't you know it, I found a message board like no other. Granted, at that time, there were no authors posting to the boards, as there were no authors at that time. But the other people, help and general comradarie I found not only renewed by love for the game, but inspired me to all but scrap my old campaign (a Rifts game, palladium books), but talk my gaming group into playing Champions (which none of them had ever played).

Next thing I know, Steve and Darren have rounded up a few friends, bought Herogames and are talking about publishing a 5th edition. And they haven't stopped talking about it... :)

Guest Black Lotus

*snip* Then I came across my old BBB' date=' thought to myself that I hadn't played Champions in years, *snip*[/quote']

*ahem* Nitpicker here.

BBB = Better Business Bureau

BBS = Bulletin Board System

/endnitpick :king:

Guest Black Lotus

Ahhh, yes young Padawan....

But in Hero board parlance BBB also refers to the Big Blue Book...

aka 4th edition champions

*impressive, most impressive...but you are not a Jedi yet*

:D

Oh my, I KNEW I'd make a fool of myself there, even though I couldn't see it.

My most profuse and sincere apologies, Dust Raven, for improperly presuming to correct you. :hail:

grumble

Oh my, I KNEW I'd make a fool of myself there, even though I couldn't see it.

My most profuse and sincere apologies, Dust Raven, for improperly presuming to correct you. :hail:

grumble

:rofl:

snicker

Back when all there was was 4th edition, it was easy to figure out ("on page 65 of the BBB there is an option to make EB STUN only"), and I had even started using it, but never knew what it meant until a newbie popped in, said hi and and just asked. I was so grateful.