A Random Bestiary, Anyone?

Jkeown

Okay... how to start this... I have compiled a list of animal attributes, consulted various sage individuals and studied my butt off, lo, these many days...

Now I have to bring it all together into a cohesive plan for writing animals. Hopefully, it evolves into a nice HERO "Meta-system" for creating bestiaries.

Some of the source material uses random tables to better simulate the evolution of critters. Others, myself included, prefer a top-down approach to animal design. I draw a sketch, look at it, and do a character sheet.

How does HERO-dom feel about randomization? I've always thought HERO players were fairly deterministic in outlook. Are tables more or less work? Would decent balanced tables that give "realistic" results be a welcome thing in your big GM binder o' stuff?

Most likely, I'll include the tables and the power constructs in the paper to ease the use of both methods. There will be a short table on "Common Animal Spells" and "Common Animal Psi-Powers" for those who want to use them, but they won't be a part of the "Required" sections.

BTW The tables will probably be pretty useful for Star HERO as well...

And anyone who writes a program from it will recieve Rep-For-Life from me.

Re: A Random Bestiary, Anyone?

Actually, the lack of response is due to me not catching the post the first time around :)

I actually really like sometimes using randomized critter creation, because the process of building the things can spark ideas for interesting plot hooks and scenarios. I'm the sort of person who likes to work outwards from seemingly inconsequential or irrelevant tidbits towards a completed whole, rather than inwards from a more-or-less complete idea to nitty-gritty details.

I'm not generally in favour of randomized character creation, except in very rare instances. However, if a player wants to generate their character randomly, I'm happy for them to do it as long as they're prepared to roleplay the consequences (and as long as I keep a veto for anything that will completely ruin my game).

Only lack of response because you posted in times I'm asleep :)

(that's what you get for being at a different GMT)

I love the idea.

Also, there were some great evolutionary tables in an Aussie rpg called Foresight. A scifi based game, and the creation of an ecology on a planet used a system of charts so you would end up with a "arms race" between predators and prey. Prey gets "herd", predator gets "nocturnal", prey gets "flight" etc...

Based on the food chain as well.

Only lack of response because you posted in times I'm asleep :)

(that's what you get for being at a different GMT)

So? Move. Indy is great this time of year... and we have Gen Con!

I love the idea.

Good, I do, too...

I think if you have enough items on the tables it would be great. I'm the type that looks at a table for ideas, but has given up rolling on them.

“Three, nope... I need a three, nope… three, nope. I’ll roll two dice, five and two? Five minus two is three, what luck!â€

I almost went non-random with it. I just might... perhaps write a lengthy article on Evo-Devo and just let folks wing it. The original author (Aidan) didn't want to be associated with a project that wasn't random. HERO gamers are, as I've said, so deterministic (a trait that arises from the system itself) :hex:

But I digress. I have the tables all formatted and happy, now I just have to finish all the various traits and plug them in. The format seems to be primitive at the lower numbers, and more complex and developed at the higher ranges. Truly weird ("Highly Evolved") stuff is in there, but I don't know how much use it would get. I think the tables are weighted somewhat towards very mundane critters. After all, a raccoon with Laser Eyes and Wings is not a raccoon... it's a Flycoon... or LaserBat... or something.

Thus, it's more of a Star HERO product, as SH needs greater variety of mundane life forms than FH.

I always like to work on 2 column text, but after plugging in the Traits, its going to have to be 1 column... darn it.

Maine Coons or Norwegian Forest Cats with opposable thumbs and uplifted inteligence

then again I played in a traveller game at a con where a solomani genetic engineering experiment had gone for uplifting Velociraptors

can you say really bad idea?

there was also an uplifted T-Rex, but it got taken out with a ships laser turret