• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Theme Super Hero Teams

Bored.

What can I do with myself?

Not that, that's illegal in my state, this is the bible belt after all....

:)

Ah, I Know, I'll pester fellow forum posters for ideas again. They LOVE that.

Ah, it's illegal, NOW we know why you pop in here!

(Hmmm, what's my excuse?)

I'm glad someone (Hermit) said the Metal Men.

As a subdivision of the arts in general, it'd be cool to have a film-obsessed super team, each character models himself after a famous director. Something like "Orson Welles" (towering intellect and towering, er, stature), "Martin Scorsese" (knowledge of mobsters, extraordinary intimidation), and "Ed Wood, Jr." (he's like Tin was to the Metal Men...).

• 6 months later...

A bit of thread necromancy here.

I recently, with the help of a friend, thought up a superhero team with a flower theme. The team was led by Bird of Paradise, who had pheromonal powers and super charisma [aside from being hot naturally of course]. Her second in command was an uber prodigy, think Mr. Terrific, named Solidago.

Snapdragon had superstrength and Red Rose had psionics. Morning Glory was the final member and he had light powers.

I ran a game closer to dark champions with capes. Anyway, there were several racist themed villain groups. The town just about collapsed under the tension of ethnic inspired violence. It took the players awhile to grok the whole thing but it went over well. Needless to say - you would have to be careful with that one and make sure that you give equal depiction of the ugliness.

Guest Lollygagger

A team called "The Word", each member named after a different Bible verse (with powers that were appropriate to the verse). I got this from a comic, I think, but I can't remember which one.

A team called "The Word"' date=' each member named after a different Bible verse (with powers that were appropriate to the verse). I got this from a comic, I think, but I can't remember which one.[/quote']

I can tell you that one easily, it was Astro City: Confessions most likely. They had a team, one of my personal favourites actually, called the Crossbreed who were named after people from the Bible. One of my favourite parts of that story actually.

Guest Lollygagger

I can tell you that one easily' date=' it was Astro City: Confessions most likely. They had a team, one of my personal favourites actually, called the Crossbreed who were named after people from the Bible. One of my favourite parts of that story actually.[/quote']

Now that you mention the Crossbreed, I remember them too, but the team I was referring to was literally named after bible verses. Like Luke 22:12 and Leviticus 8:57 or whatever.

You could also turn the Legend of the Five Rings (L5R) analogy on its head. In L5R, each of the five "Rings" represents both an elemental force and a philosophical truth You could have the same team of five, based upon the elements, but make them, say, "five enlightened souls":

"Fire" representing a force for change (say someone with a lot of Change Environment and/or Transforms).

"Air" representing an understanding of the subtle, instinctive nuances of life (high PRE, good social skills, and powers representing the ability to "read" the intentions, actions, and emotions of others).

"Earth" representing persistence, fortitude, and resolve (high EGO and CON, and Life Supports like Reduced need for Sleep and Food).

"Water" representing the ability to "flow" around problems, to find or create ways past obstacles (probably the highest Tactics skill of the bunch, maybe a VPP representing the ability to improvise around problems. Also, thematically, the one character most likely to have a disparate set of attacks that, between them, will always affect anybody, even if the attacks do minor damage on a per-hit basis).

"Void" representing the unique insights people have during moments of epiphanies, when you don't need to think while you act, because everything is clear (a precog makes sense, but so would someone with a huge number of Overall Skill Levels--Usable by Others).

Same 5 elements, but you get a totally different spin on the team, what they do, and why.

and when your powers combine?