Superhero Showdown #3 Black Harlequin vs. Janus

jscoble

Superhero Showdown - THE VILLAINS - Round 2!

Champions vs. Silver Age Sentinels

Superhero RPG fans across the world determine the winners of epic battles between Champions and Silver Age

Sentinels characters.

Showdown #2 is complete -- Mechanon atomizes Iron Duke!

Showdown #3 has just started -- a sociopathic battle between Black Harlequin and Janus!

Visit the Superhero Showdown website, read the battle synopsis, and vote for your favourite. Then pop over to the

message boards and have your say.

Superhero Showdown: www.champions-vs-sas.com

Message Boards: http://pub84.ezboard.com/bsuperheroshowdown66104

Supervillain Showdown #3 voting ends 15 Mays 2003.

I have troubles with these contests...

My problem is that I know the Champion villians rather well and absolutely nothing about the SAS villians. So, when I read the stories, I totally identify with DoJ's stories but find the SAS one's lacking a bit. As an example in the previous matter, I totally identified with Darren's story of Mechanon - having read about him for nearly a decade and seeing how he did things and how he would react to meeting the Iron Duke. However, reading the story of Mechanon digging up a hole to create a factory with geothermal energy just seemed to far fetched.

Likewise, the thought of BH stopping in a toy store to create a workshop and then modify the toys seems rather out of his persona. Meanwhile, I don't know the first thing about Janus. So, I feel that my votes would always be biased against SAS, just because of my complete lack of knowledge of their characters.

But the SAS fans are good about posting a thread in the discussion area describing their contestant and his or her origin.

I voted for Harlequin. He has more style than Janus as presented in both stories. It might be in character for Janus to snipe from the shadows but it doesn't make for a good tale. Each scenaro seemed to center on BH and his thoughts and actions.

I wonder how a Joker/Dark Harlequin/Quackerjack/Crazy Eight smackdown would turn out. They all have a similar schtick in their respective universes (DC/DOJ/Disney/Marvel2).

While Black Harlequin always struck me as a Joker knock-off, I still get more from his character than I did from Janus. In fact, based on the story presented (I don't own SAS) I couldn't get any real grip on Janus' character.

In some cases, like AliceQoH v. Tbird, not knowing the SAS character didn't hurt them any. Here it definitely did.

It's weird, I ended up getting a firmer grip on Janus' character than Black Harlequin. I'd always felt Janus was a weak villain in SAS until I read that story. He came across to me as a very clever, ruthless business man type, kind of like Justin Hammer (and I loved him having FAO Schwarz, Empire City as a front company) except that he's a psychotic killer.

I liked BH as well, after all, what's not to like about a maniac with a mommy-complex. I just read both stories and found myself more intrigued with Janus than BH.

Having never played either game (yet...HERO and Champions are on the way via mediamail), I don't know anything about either character...

In reading the 2 stories, I thought the setup was kinda goofy, but I tend to like more realistic stories, anyway. I voted for Janus, since he seemed to be more of a *real* character...again, this is all based on not knowing jack about either character...

Originally posted by Monolith

Just wanted to let everyone know that time is running out. If you have not voted you need to do so by Thursday. So hop over to the website, read the stories, and vote for the one you like best.

Thanks for the reminder. I definitely need to go vote for Black Harlequinn. Sure, he's insane, and Joker/Toyman cross... but "I like 'im!" :D