Help with a power please

WillS

Re: Help with a power please

My character is not a mentallist. He is basically Green Arrow. So build it as a taunt? (Hey ugly, attack me!).

Say a 3d6 MC (Figure I shouldn't need more than ego +10) AoE line. LINKED to Martial Dodge.

With the lims

Only can be used in combat and only if between two people. (-1?)

Must be able to speak (-1/4?)

Thanks

Looks good, though I'd drop the "Only between two targets" to -1/2 and yes Incantations is a -1/4.

I don't know if I'd Link it to Martial Dodge as then you'd have to Dodge first, which doesn't seem to be what you want. Possibly "Must use next action to Dodge attacks."

Also, you don't need AoE on the power, it works at Line Of Sight, all you'd need to do is be able to see the target. If you want both targets to shoot then you need to add AoE to cover enough area to get both minds (but then it affects all people in the AoE).

Also, you can add "Does not provide Mental Awareness" and "Set Affect: Shoot at me!" as Limitations.

Thanks.

I linked it to my dodge/martial dodge because the MC would end my segment, and should the bad guys attack on the same segment that I used my MC I wouldn't be able to abort, if I'm understanding the rules correctly.

I've been wondering how to do this, haven't actually worked it up.

Only thing I can think of is missile deflection/reflection, reflect at any target, invisible power effect, only when attacked by multiple attackers.

Got to be a cheaper way.

Do you have access to the Champions genre book? If so there's an optional combat "maneuver" called Sucker Attack described on p. 155, which allows you to do this and costs nothing to build.

It's essentially a Dodge using a Held Action, timed just as an opponent is firing his attack. The attacker and the "sucker" that you want the attacker to hit have to be lined up so that it's possible for the attack to go past you and hit the sucker. There's more to the mechanic than that, but I don't want to spread Hero Games's IP here on the public forums. Sorry. :(

If you're not a Champions player, I would expect this to be included in the soon-to-come HERO System Combat Handbook.

Thanks.

I linked it to my dodge/martial dodge because the MC would end my segment, and should the bad guys attack on the same segment that I used my MC I wouldn't be able to abort, if I'm understanding the rules correctly.

Here is an idea, that deals with the issue.

17 Shoot Him, Not Me!: Sight Group Images 1" radius, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (25 Active Points); Must Use With Dive For Cover Manuever (-1/2)

1" radius would probably work, as you are covering where you were with the images. The self-resetting trigger will allow you to get it off every time you dive for cover. I based the lim on the required dive for cover on the linked lim.

Teleporter/Speedster Variant of this trick

Missile Reflection, based on Teleportation (or superspeed). Game effect is that you reflect an attack against you to another opponent. SFX is that you quickly teleported to a point between the victims and then teleport back to your original location after they shoot.

A limitaiton for "Reflection effect can be countered with a successful INT check" might be appropriate to allow the victim to realize it's a trick.

I would just make it an attack. You have to position yourself, time your dodge, and everything. The sequence would be:

1. Declare Sucker Attack - this is a full action - and define the defense being used (dodge, martial dodge, dive for cover) - you cannot abort to this maneuver

2. Enemy attacks (only one unless they are coordinating)

3. Determine the success of the defense

4. If the defense was successful, make an attack

4a. The enemies have to be aligned properly for this to work. Also, they can only hit each other if they were coordinating (i.e. perfectly timed), otherwise one will hit the other first.

4b. Your OCV is your base OCV + skill levels with Sucker Attack. You must Sweep to attack multiple targets (i.e. if they are attacking you).

Essentially your ability to attack is contingent your your ability to not be hit. So, the question is, why wouldn't you do this all the time? I would answer, this opportunity doesn't present itself all the time and you have to prepare for it (i.e. no aborts). It's essentially the same as you making an attack, and the trade-off is you get a defense against an attack which may not have happened had you attacked while only being able to use base OCV. Considering that, I think it's a fair optional maneuver that is appropriate for many genres and is quite fun to play.

Hmm. I'd just make it a creative use of Dodge/Dive for Cover and the Acrobatics Skill (with a Held Action). Add some Pre to get the enemies to attack you without closely considering the tactics involved.

As a GM, I would probably do something like use the optional rule for missed shots hitting other targets (base OCV - 3 with no CSLs, weapon bonuses, etc.), and consider your Acrobatics roll or a Per roll Complimentary to the attack roll(s). I might only allow you to do it once against any particular adversary (or group of them if the others see you obviously doing it).

If you really want it to be a super-type ability, consider Missile Reflection as others have said, and/or a Marital Maneuver with the Redirect element.

I agree with others. You shouldn't need to build this as a power, just creative use of maneuvers and timing issues and a good GM that can handle that sort of thing.

One thing to do would be to do a PRE attack designed to get your opponent to attack you...a "Taunt" of sorts. If the PRE attack is successful, your opponents attack you in anger, your character dodges or dives for cover and hopefully your enemies nail one another...

Most GM's should be okay with this sort of thing. Don't use it too often or your enemies will get wise to your tactics.

I'd use DCV Combat Skill levels with Requires Skill Roll (acrobatics) or maybe 2pt Skill levels with Dive For Cover. That should all but garuntee that they miss you and get a chance to hit their comrade..