Bullet Time

Steve

Has anyone ever tried a power construct like this?

+2 SPD, Costs End (20 Active and 13 Real)

+4 DCV, Linked to SPD Increase (20 Active and 13 Real)

END Reserve (20 End, 2 REC) (4 Active and Real)

I was trying to think of limited use SPD powers that could replicate the "bullet time" effect, and this was one notion I came up with. The DCV levels were to try and replicate the effect of being more difficult to hit while enhanced like this.

I'ld question the need for additional speed. Other than dodging virtually nothing happens during bullet time. Sure people empty clips etc, but no faster than they do normally. I'ld just go with the DCV and DigitalGolem's rapid sense modifier.

Originally posted by Bartman

I'ld question the need for additional speed. Other than dodging virtually nothing happens during bullet time. Sure people empty clips etc, but no faster than they do normally. I'ld just go with the DCV and DigitalGolem's rapid sense modifier.

Well, the special effect I was trying for was being able to move so fast that you can plow through enemies and they can't seem to touch you, so that was why I went with a couple of points of SPD and levels in DCV. I never played Max Payne myself, but what I heard about "bullet time" in the game was what inspired me to try this particular write-up.

Ah, I thought this was Matrix style bullet time.

Even for Max Payne I don't think I would use a bonus to SPD. I personally try to avoid SPD changes because of the potential loss of actions. Remember if a character changes speed he doesn't take his next action until a segment where both speeds would take an action. This occasionally has the effect of the character losing a phase or more. Thus slowing the character rather than speeding him up. Just give him more movement and levels to counter multiple attacks (sweep, multiple move by etc.) and you get the same effect without the odd side effects.

Stat time

What kind of stats would you give the hero from Matrix (first movie, haven't seen 2nd), at the end of the movie? Hyperspeed, hypersenses, other unusual abilities, etc etc in a Champions setting.

Re: Stat time

Originally posted by Tech

What kind of stats would you give the hero from Matrix (first movie, haven't seen 2nd), at the end of the movie? Hyperspeed, hypersenses, other unusual abilities, etc etc in a Champions setting.

Well after recovering from being shot, Neo is functionally omnipotent. He can do anything he wants at will, including shutting down the whole Matrix. Just give him a 1000pt cosmic pool and be done with it.

Prior to that, I would give most of the Matrix characters (Trinity etc.) primary characteristics in the mid 20s to low 30s, loads of skills (and possibly a skill power pool), and a few power tricks like superleap. I would give the Agent Smiths and pre-death Neo more power tricks and and stats in the mid 30s to low 40s.

I would base the characters within the Matrix on 200 points (100pts/100 disads).

No characteristic maximum (in the matrix)

Dex range: 18-24

Spd range: 4-6

Lots of martial arts and skill levels.

I would probably allow special martial arts moves using powers.

Skill-based VPP to represent the ability to quickly upload a needed skill.

Each character would have a multiform that is used to represent their "normal" selves outside the matrix...these are based on 50pts. (they are VERY normal)

Agents would have high physical characteristics (Dex 24+/Spd 6+) martial arts and lots of +DC's (so they can smash through concrete!) and Desolid vs projectiles (maybe triggered by a successful Combat sense roll or something--that way Trinity can sneak up on the agent and put a bullet in his temple)

Post-Resurrection Neo would have a moderate VPP (60pts or so...he's still growing) and super high characteristics (STR/DEX 30 each...speed 8 or possibly better...I'll get back to you on this after I see Reloaded)

NuSoardGraphite, thanks for the first prototype. However, I guess I didn't quite state what I was looking for. Sorry. Ok, I'm looking for the stats of people who can do the Matrix hyperspeed thing, etc., - and create them as supers in a Champions world. Suggestions?

Originally posted by Tech

NuSoardGraphite, thanks for the first prototype. However, I guess I didn't quite state what I was looking for. Sorry. Ok, I'm looking for the stats of people who can do the Matrix hyperspeed thing, etc., - and create them as supers in a Champions world. Suggestions?

Ah.

Thats pretty easy.

High Dex and Speed scores (Dex 25+/Spd 8+)

For powers, I suggest a multipower with the following:

Desolidification: Requires a skill roll (acrobatics) not through solid objects (Superspeed Dodge)

Hand Attack: Autofire. (superspeed punch...Agent Smith in The Matrix)

Hand Attack: AE-Radius: Selective. (Multi-Target attack. The character runs through multiple opponents at superspeed and punches them all)

Superleap (High speed leaping)

Flight: surface movement only (Wall running ala Trinity)

Duplication (Splitting Attacks: the ability to fight as if the PC were multiple characters. A popular trick in Anime, Manga and Videogames)

Hand Attack: Double Knockback (Hyper Hammer: Superspeed punch that imparts a LOT of kinetic energy on the target)

Outside of the multipower, I would give him/her some seriously enhanced perception bonuses to simulate their ability to take in information and process it quickly.

Originally posted by Steve

Well, the special effect I was trying for was being able to move so fast that you can plow through enemies and they can't seem to touch you, so that was why I went with a couple of points of SPD and levels in DCV. I never played Max Payne myself, but what I heard about "bullet time" in the game was what inspired me to try this particular write-up.

By "plow through", do you mean he can run past people and not get hit buy them, or beat up a bunch of people without getting hit back?

Matrix Champions

• Have all players make character based on 50 points, tell them that the characters are for a cyberpunk style game that you are starting.
  • Add up all of the points spent in INT, EGO, and SPEED and give the player that many points to add powers and skills to their Matrix Profile (the Matrix Profile is the character they just created plus the bonus powers and skills, they will use this character when they are in the Matrix).
  • Whenever a player tries to use a bonus skill or power in the Matrix the must make an INT (for skills) or EGO (for powers) roll.
Skills can be learned at an accelerated pace when inside the Matrix (1 Turn of no other actions). Note the character must have the experience for the skill and the information must be input from an outside (of the Matrix) source. These skills stay with the character when outside the Matrix.

All characters must have at least 5 points in Superleap with the +1/2 only works in The Matrix limitation.haracter when outside the Matrix.

Most powers and some skills should be taken with the Limited Power power limitation. There is a -1/2 bonus associated with this limitation.

All players must take Normal Characteristic Maxima disadvantage. They will recieve the 10 pts. for this disadvantage if it does not apply to their Matrix Persona. But if the disadvantage also applies in The Matrix they get 20 points.