Sky High The Movie

fredrik_nilsson

Re: Sky High The Movie

It looks interesting, but I thought they passed up a great story opportunity by having the son NOT develop super strength, but some other kind of much more subtle power (like a mixed bag of mentalist abilities or even Franklin Richards level reality powers.) Something where he is actually much more powerful than anybody else, but since good old Dad is from the direct school of "whack it; it fall down" he isn't very supportive of.

You could even go farther and have mental powers be something just generally looked down upon by other heroes by their lack of directness and since the son has no confidence due to this he isn't as powerful as he should be. Until Super-villian X (something sort of Doomsday'ish) shows up and mops the floor with the standar heroes and young son must step in and gain confidence enough to defeat him.

While I think the movie will be fun, I just think it could have been better and with a better message for children about being different not necessarily being bad.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie with my daughter. She expresses extreme enthusiasm every time a commercial comes on (during JLU for example, or Boomerang's Superman: the Animated Series - both of which we watch together routinely).

The casting is excellent, the plot seems entertaining... and I love the clips I've seen so far. I just have one question...

'When did Snake Pliskin become a superhero? Isn't he more of a punisher type than a flag suit?'

In the commentary on Big Trouble In Little China, John Carpenter told Russell that one of the things he admired about him was that, unlike a lot of other actors, he wasn't afraid of looking foolish in a movie. I think that comes from doing all those early Disney movies(The Strongest Man in the World, The Computer Wore Wingtips, etc.). He probably realized that looking goofy( :winkgrin: ) doesn't matter if the movie is supposed to be an all-round fun movie.

Well, I looked at the IMDB listing.

Director:

Mike Mitchell- Never dd anything I liked. Did Deuce Bigalow, which was just bad.

First Writer:

Paul Hernandez - His first film.

Second Writer:

Robert Schooley - Kim Possible vet, which gives me hope.

Third Writer:

Mark McCorkle - Kim Possible vet.

So, good cast, two solid writers in the kid's heroic comedy genre, and a good trailer.

I'm not hoping for an Incrdibles class picture, but it doesn't look bad.

It looks cool to me, and I like the scenes of Kurt Russell in his "Clark Kent" identity. I saw a short feature on it on the Disney Channel, and they interviewed the actress who plays the main character's girlfriend; her character is described as a "techno-path" who can create machines with the power of her mind. Sounds nifty to me.

I'm speculating that she may be the daughter of Commander Stronghold's (Kurt Russell's character) arch-enemy. That would make for an unexpected twist--unexpected to all but me, anyway. :winkgrin:

I'm not hoping for an Incrdibles class picture' date=' but it doesn't look bad.[/quote']

Few films top the Incredibles.

I've just become a second time father, and during the last two weeks of the pregnancy my girl-friend and I saw quite a few DVDs. One of the movies were the Incredibles. I didn't expect that Maria would like the movie, but to my surprise she loved it. She even had to look away from the screen during parts of the movie, since all the laughing gave her tension (is that the correct word?) in her stomach.

I still say they ripped PS238 off ;) I'll be seeing it soon anyway...

Hmmmm--interesting. Who ripped off whom? :think:

You see, I think Sky High owes a much greater debt to Up Up And Away, a 2000 made-for-Disney-TV movie. Robert "Meteor Man" Townsend directed and starred as the Bronze Eagle, one of a family of superheroes that included Warrior Woman (his wife) and Silver Cyclone (his eldest son). Even the youngest daughter can shoot laser beams from her eyes--but the middle son has no powers at all. Because he wants to be a hero, and more, he doesn't want to disappoint his father, he tries to fake having superpowers--but that works out about like you'd expect. But it all turns out well.

When they introduced Tyler Marlocke in P.S. 238 I immediately thought of Up Up And Away, except that Tyler's parents are in superhuman levels of denial over their son's lack of powers, and he'd much rather live as a normal kid. As it is, he has to worry about surviving gym class.

So who should sue whom? Who had the idea originally? Disney? Aaron Williams? Siegel and Shuster? Julius Schwartz? Stan The Man? Jack The King? The superheroic genre has a intensely strong tendency to repeat itself, and if every lawsuit that could be filed actually was, the most popular comics would be Archie or Little Lulu.

I saw the movie as well, and there were some really funny moments,

[spoiler WARNING!!!]

...one thing I found a little...off.... was the instant change taught at school, with the limitation "Cannot be seen Changing" (would that be a 1/2 or maybe a -1 limitation?) but we can ALL say "Deus ex Machina"!

Plus, The show was stolen by the 2 "Kids in the Hall" alum Dave Foley and Kevin McDonald (Whose prosthetic dome took 4 make up artists 2 do)

overall, I give Sky High 3 stars out of a possible 4

'When did Snake Pliskin become a superhero? Isn't he more of a punisher type than a flag suit?'

Excuse me but, I think that Kurt Russell is perhaps one of the most versatile actors in Hollywood. It's a bit foolish to restrict him to one character. The man cannot BE type-cast.