What's in a Name?

Death Kiwi???

A deranged New Zealander with the manners of an UK Yob and who looks like one of the bad guys in a mad max movie, Death Kiwi is muscle for hire with an overinflated opinion of himself, but an odd sort of nationalism. He does not attack fellow New Zealanders or take jobs against or even IN his country. Super strong, he has managed to earn enough cash for a high tech butterfly knife that can cut even most other bricks. He loves to best and belittle superheroes of other nations on their home soil.

Next up: Twisted Mister

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What's in a Name?

Isaac Auzmtuun worked for the R&D department in a major company. He was a member of a team that was trying to develop a new plastic that is stronger, lighter, and more flexible than anything on the market today. One day he led Abrams Zumtiun and Raleen Ice into the chamber that contained the vat that holds the experimental plastic. Suddenly the seals broke and got all over all three of them. When the mess got cleaned up only one highly misformed figure could be found. Tests proved that all three were somehow merged into one being. Having three minds in one body gets to be extremely confusing and makes this new being called Twisted Mister seem to be both insane and autistic. Being all confused, Twisted Mister will go on rampages and commit crimes in his unusual and insane manner.

For our next entrant: Corona

It was a government lab doing "some sort of secret research"; until "PSI" found out and attacked because of the nature of that research; into psychic phenomena ! Maggie Keel was one of the research subjects; the best one they had, and "Psi" got her and attempted to control her in their own secret facility. She seemed to have the power to control machines, whether electrical or mechanical, from distance along "line of sight" simply by thinking about it ! But Maggie escaped the clutches of "PSI' and went out on her own. Now she is an independent "villain" willing to use her "Mechanikinesis" to enrich herself and wreak revenge on governments, heros and villains alike. Because of the glow that surrounds her when she uses her powers she call sherslf "Corona " ! Next : "The Gambler"

Okay people, I'll tackle this one, and I swear I won't make a single Kenny Rogers joke...no, really!

Fate is a fickle mistress for most people. But Jack knew the odds -- personally. He noticed it early on in life -- this mysterious ability to alter probability would manifest itself at grocery stores (his line always moved the fastest), at traffic lights (they were always green for him) and even on multiple choice tests in school (he always seemed able to guess the right answers). In fact, the only thing in life that didn't seem to be a sure bet for Jack manifested itself during a trip to Las Vegas. He could win most of the time but not all of the time. Instead of getting angry, Jack was overjoyed -- finally some uncertainty in life! The thrill of gambling became an obsession and Jack, consciously or not, honed his abilities and powers around the certainties of probability and the uncertainties of unbridled chance.

Now, The Gambler, tired of playing just for money, plays for higher stakes, using his ability to manipulate probability to orchestrate disasters and deathtraps for heroes. How exactly his powers will manifest is left to chance, and he always carries a pair of six-sided dice, a set of cards and a clutch of straws (with a short one) to let fate decide. After all, the most dangerous games have the biggest thrills and The Gambler is addicted to the juice.

Next name -- Bollux. Be well, people.

Where do I come from? the dark figure inquired not for the first time. Thinking as far back in his(?) memory as possible, he only went back almost one year. At that time all was turmoil in the location that he was in. In his rage he went through the structure as though the reinforced and hardened cement walls were made of paper. After several days he finally settled down and was able to realize exactly what he had done, he got both confused and remorseful. To make up for the damage that was done both to the people that he hurt and property that was damaged, he decided to try and use his great strength to assist and aid those who need it. Because he resembles a humanoid bull, the press started calling him Bollux.

Our next master: Existence

Ok This is not quite the norm but i think it works.

Jason Davies did not recall much of his life. He remebered waking up in the hospital with various tubes and monitors attached to him. He could not speak because of the breathing tube. He paged the nurse who came in and her eyes told the story. The nurse called the doctors in who called his only living realitive His sister. Once all the comotion had quited down. He asked his sister what had happened to him. It seemed that his very Exsistance was erased from most peoples memory. All she could recall was there was some kind of house fire that killed his family. The only reason she lived was because she was away at school. But even her story seemed alittle off. It was as if the whole thing was rehersed in some way. The doctors tried to keep Jason in the hospital as long as the could. But finally he broke the metal straps that held Him down. So Now his only mission in to find out who or what he is. Once he escaped he realized that something wasnt quite right about Him. It seemed as if the outside world was moving in slow motion. In Which he used to His advantage to steal what he needed. Now He goes from town to town just trying to find out who or what he is.. And Futhermore why He even Exists.

Next name is...... Silver Tounge

Silver Tongue is the name, I hope. Anyway, here goes.

Bradley Westlake was a smooth operator under pressure. As a police negotiator he had to be. The selfish fools, the despondent suicidals, the desperate criminals, the terrified paranoids, the drugged-out losers and the shell-shocked victims were his stock and trade. But fate is both cruel and fickle, and eventually turned the tables on Bradley, placing him in the middle of a hostage crisis as a victim -- powerless and helpless in the gunsights of a raving psychotic. Nothing he could say or do could sway the situation -- he could only watch in horror as the madman gunned down the other hostages and stood laughing over their mutilated bodies as they bled themselves dry.

After taking the lives of the others, the maniac turned his attention on Bradley, savoring the raw, pure terror of his actions as he deliberately drew out the suspense -- debating with himself openly about what part of Bradley's anatomy he was going to blow off first. With the adrenaline surging through his body, Bradley's bound body trembled with the anticipation of the first touch of pain, straining at the ropes that held him fast. The first bullet tore through his left leg just below the knee, but it also parted the ropes pinning his legs together. Bradley screamed in pain, rage and fear -- the dischord of a wounded predatory beast -- so pure and bestial it was inhuman. The sound of that scream ripped through the delirium of the psychotic who froze in confusion and sudden fear as Bradley thrashed at him with his unwounded limb, kicking the deranged man's legs out from under him. Unknown strength surged through Bradley as he tore his wrists free, screaming again as the savaged skin of his wrists fell away with the ropes. His would-be murderer now cowered in a fetal knot, vommiting blood while covering his head in a desperate but futile attempt to shut out that horrible sound -- the sound that was killing him.

As the body of the psychotic was wheeled away in a body bag, Bradley came to terms with what had happened. Words, his stock and trade, had been useless. Only the unrestricted roar of that bestial part of him he had tried to repress since childhood had saved him. He tried to articulate his experience to others, but found he didn't have his voice anymore. At best, he could whisper only a few ragged words before it would fail him altogether. The police union backed him up for a disability retirement, and his days of negotiation were over. In retrospect, he mused, he had only postponed the inevitable for most of the criminals with whom he had spoken.

That was going to change. No more negotiations. No more words. Only a roar of vengeance for all the victims they had claimed. The scum of the earth would hear their doom when they met him -- Silver Tongue, The Voice of Death.

Hope you like that one. :) Here's the next name: Black Jackie

Matt "Still-diggin'-this-concept" Frisbee

Well I'll try one. Jaclyn McMahan was your usual bookworm girl. The glasses, plain looking, thin, etc. She was also like most nerds picked on constantly and cruelly by the bullies in school. One day when a group of bullies were in to their malevolent game. She wished that she could just be able to disappear into the darkness of shadow. For whatever reason whether it be a latent mutant ability or the answering of her request by a diety....she did, seemingly "dissolving" into her own shadow. The bullies freaked out fled.

Later....

Jaclyn McMahan is now grown up. Things havent much changed on the surface. She transferred out of that community and never had to face those bullies, again. In HS, she gained some acceptance in the goth community at her new school. Though other than going to black clothing, she didnt change much aesthetically. (to avoid her parents worrying about her) She became a librarian. She still looks a bit plain. But her glasses and black clothing kind of give her a "nerdy goth beauty". But in truth she has learned to hone her powers. Not only can she "dissolve" into the shadows. But she can also teleport from a shadow to another (within about 10 to 15 kms), she can also manipulate shadows to animate and do her bidding (though this wears off in a few hours). She can also make her "shadow puppets" combine to form an awful looking monster (absent of any color or light except for 2 sinister looking red-eyes). This combined shadow monster can stay longer (depending on how many shadows were combined into it, which also affects the size of it). And has your general brick powers. She now has plans on joining a villain group and using her powers for evil. Calling herself Black Jackie.

Powers/Tactics: She is still fairly meek, and avoids confrontations. She is better at surveillance, and information gathering. The teleportation gives her the ability to sneak in on a conversation, etc. and the ability to be a shadow helps her hide. In a fight she will probably scramble shadow puppets in between her and her foe and when given time form some of them into a monster. The puppets of course can be used for spying, too.

Yeah, I kind of babbled on this one a bit. And was probably off but...anyway. I though about making it Blackjack related but with The Gambler a recent character decided to go with the "black is dark, etc. thinking.

Ohh and for my name: Rough N' Rowdy

Ralph and Ruthy Branson were made for each other ! Super villains with plenty of power but not a lot of style. Ralph is a "brick"; able to lift semi trailers and smash walls with his fists while Ruthie is a fast moving, high kicking Martial Artist who just LOVES a good fight ! Individualy they weren't too great but together they make a formidable team with Ruthie doing the planning while Ralph supplies the power ! They still aren't all THAT successful because both of them get too interested in the fight and forget their objective on occasions but they are better together than alone. They are 'Rough" and "Rowdy", muscle for hire ! Next : "Intrepid"

This is a fun little thread isnt it?;)

Well for Intrepid. Intrepid means if I remember correctly is fearless. (at least one of the meanings). I think I first heard somewhere in Star Trek lore (I think ship name, anyway). So I am going with a "spacey" feel.

Intergalactic Federation Datafile 1013.73

Until recently little had been known of the reptilian race commonly referred to as "The Intrepid" (their true nameis much too long to pronounce easily) We have long known they have been hiring out as mercenaries to the Timgarian warlords of the Vuzai sector. They seem to be seemingly fearless and intimidating warriors who will attack relentlessly. Although we did not know if the warrior caste was a small section of society or if most or all of their species were trained in combat. And nothing was known of their general culture.

Recently with some defections of some high-ranking Timgarians in their political "purging" we have come to learn more of their society. It appears that warriorhood is a strong influence in their culture. So will we focus first on their military.

It appears they have generally been at war among their clans for most of their history. Since the idea of honor was placed on their battles. They usually focused on melee weapons. Many versions of knives, swords, and battle axes have emerged in their culture. ANd the collection of weapons have become a spoil of war prestige type of thing for them. They will collect the weapons of those they have slain in battle. Also, they even will eat those slain also. It should be noted they are carnivorous and even occasionally cannibalistic. Though in recent times the eating of the slain has been limited to other species they have fought in battle. Until the Timgarians discovered their home planet, they were still relatively primative. The Timgarians being of a conquering persuasion realized they were of value. They generally train the Intrepid of various hi-tech weaponry. And the Intrepid do use them generally. But they still love getting into hand-to-hand and melee weapon type situations.

Their society seems to be rather straight forward. Nearly everyone learns the ways of the warrior. Male and Female alike. Their children, like most reptilian species have to learn to fend for themselves or die. This has led to usually only the most aggressive of their species being the only ones to reach adulthood. Ranks in society are also placed upon battle success. AS mentioned before they collect weapons of their fallen enemies. They will also collect teeth, fingers, skin to make into leather "trophies" to wear. And in cases of mammalian enemies sometimes scalps. And occasionally feathers from bird-like species. The Timgarians generally look the other way on this barbaric practice.

It should also be noted that the Intrepid have started to develop "mutates" in their race. These are essentially their supers. It has been theorized that this has been going on for thousands of years in their species. But has been rare and only maybe a very small handful (less than 100, probably under 50) at any one time. But in the last 200 years they have started to increase dramatically. the most common of these mutates seem to have an ability to manipulate their ki in some way. A few can throw energy blast of some kind. Normally a strong race in any case those that can be labeled as bricks are the second most common. A third common one is of "fire manipulation". Only a small handful display any other kind of "superpower". It should be noted that these supers if you will, will only fight generally other supers of the enemy. Their honor forbids generally, though on occasion they have made shortwork of normals "who got in the way" usually due to absence of normals on their own side to fight the opposing normals.

The location of their homeplanet is still a mystery. As we have not had a defector high-ranked enough to be able (or willing_ to disclose this information).

Probably a bit lengthy but oh well

Next: Insomnia

Announcer: "Here comes the home team - Valley West"

A group of high school football players run onto the unusually misty football field. Followed by the team from the opposing team on the opposite end of the field.

Announcer: "Here is the visiting team - North Scott"

As the game progresses neither team seems to be doing its best that night. Both sides are trying to outdo the other in all the usual manners, but the harder they try the less energy they seem to possess.

Several weeks later several people gather by the lake during the early morning as the fog is lifting. The people operating the boats get their boats roaring to life but it feels as though they themselves have not slept for almost a week. As the boat race progresses the drivers are feeling the strain more than normal, even more than they did during their practice runs in the preceding days. Finally because too many accidents have occurred, the race is called. Fortunately no lives were lost.

Later all the bets were made for their favorite horse for the upcoming race. Everyone got into their seats around the murky arena. Finally the buzzer sounds and the gates open. The horses trot out with the jockey nearly asleep on the horse. After this goes on for several minutes (and several jockeys falling off) the race is canceled. Ten more races are started all with the same disastrous results.

The next day He appeared and discovered what happened. This is the closest that I have come yet to capturing the Insomnia Cloud. thought the Wizard. Hopefully the next time that It appears I will be able to capture it and reclaim my status on the Council.

Next - Wrapper

Announcer: "Here comes the home team - Valley West"

A group of high school football players run onto the unusually misty football field. Followed by the team from the opposing team on the opposite end of the field.

Announcer: "Here is the visiting team - North Scott"

I'm guessing you're from around the Quad-Cities area, just with this choice of high school names... :)

Matt "Grew-up-in-Quad-Cities-USA" Frisbee

Next - Wrapper

"Report" said the luetenant, "I thought you said you had a hostage situation"

"We did" said the officer "there were at least 6 of them, all armed with automatic weapons. I called you and the next thing this guy from over at the department store walks in. I tried to stop him but he brushed me off. Then theirs this gunfire and I think the kid's dead for shore. Only then theirs nothing, no gunfire, no demands, and then the bank patrons come out and tell me how the kid came in and used like paper and stuff to protect himself and them and then like bundled up the bank-robbers nad wrapped them in paper and even put a bow around it and all. Then he just walked out the back door."

"Did anyone hear him say anything?"

"Yeah, one of the witnesses heard him as he came in."

"What did he say?"

"I'll just wrap this up and be on my way."

Next- Torch Song

Angel O'connor had always loved old movies and the music of the "Noir" films. The time when men wore hats and women slinky dresses and a girl could be just as bad as she wanted to be ! Angel was a singer; not a star recording artist, but a lounge singer in a bar which, while actually high class, was made up to look like a "speakeasy" from the days of prohibition ! Then one day the past came back to life when a mob of modern day gangsters tried to muscle in on the club, take it over ! They threatened the staff and the owner and, when that didn't work, they tried to burn the club to the ground ! Angel had just arrived ( a little bit early) and was chatting to the members of the band when a molotov cocktail exploded inside the club. People went into a panic, except Angela who opened her mouth and SANG to the flame ! Witnesses vary on what happened next but they all agree that the burst of flame travelled BACKWARDS and engulfed the would be arsonists ! Angela disappeared, but soon a new heroine in a slinky dress and a mask looking like something out of a noir movie came on the scene. She seems to be able to control flame, and she calls herself "Torch Singer" ! Next : "Princess Power"

Her name was unpronouncable on this planet, but the native word was the same. Grace. She would be dead soon, her mission unfinished. Worse, her child would grow up without knowing her true heritage. She had provided her child with everything this planet could offer: wealth, a title, a princely father. But all would be for nothing. The Arachnid Asassins would make it look like an accident, a sports car swerving off a treacherous road. But she had one last card to play. With her last breath, she released her Pr'k Tah. a wave of energy enveloped the sports car, engulfing the Bug-Eyed creatures in blue and silver Flames. With any luck, they were working alone, she thought. It would take thirty earth years for the Others to reach the planet. By that time her daughter's own Pr'k Tah will have matured. She would be untrained in its use, but even untrained, she will be a fair match for her enemies. her last conscious thought was of her daughter. Sweet Caroline, good bye...

Next Name: Dr. Fun

Doctor Fun got his moniker during the happy-go-lucky 1960's when recreational pharmacology was at its peak. The job prospects for a laboratory chemist with experience in biochemistry were bright then. The money rolled in and the good times rolled into the early 70's, when his luck finally ran out. The federal authorities raided his lab and he got to spend the rest of the 20th Century in a federal prison. But that didn't stop him from making drugs, of course. His focus shifted to whatever chemicals and materials he could obtain from the institution. Soon, he was doing a brisk trade once again, paying off guards to look the other way with the magic mixtures he cooked up which bypassed the urine and blood tests they were required to take.

A model prisoner, they called him, and instead of 50 years to life, he was out after 25. The organized crime scene was different these days, but they came to appreciate his ability to cook up new formulas with common chemicals. Nobody else could do what could, the transformation of toxic chemicals into pure bliss and aching, reflexive need -- that potent cycle of pleasure and pain that is the armature of addiction. Let the good times roll...

Dr. Fun is a low powered metahuman with the ability to transform chemicals just by applying his will to them. He cannot create something that isn't there -- he still needs the building blocks to put the molecules together. But, if he went on a shopping trip for some basic chemicals, say water and sugar for example, he could create a rudamentary explosive mixture or ethyl alcohol. His ability is limited by his knowledge of chemistry, biochemistry and pharmaceuticals; but he also has an excellent memory and has extensively studied the chemical formulas of millions of compounds and their properties. In short, if the PC's are trying to track down that new designer drug making the rounds in the hometown, their investigations may lead them to right to an aging chemist with superpowers -- Doctor Fun.

Hopefully, that was worth the time. :) And the thread continues with:

EPICENTER

"What the heck was that" said Stormbird after feeling a mass shockwave rip through the base.

"I dont know" said Nightcloud "but it registered 6.3 on the Richter"

"Oh my..." said Stormbird "i am getting reports that part of Las Vegas has gotten blown to bits" "WE better notify Stinger and check it out"

"Never mind Stormbird, he has already sent out a hover-camera to check things"......"getting visual"

Once visual came up they saw a giant 12 foot blue Hulk like figure tossing police cars like pizza dough. Suddenly the obviously enraged figure started screaming and ranting, and then to the astonishment of the 2 heroes a beam of light surrounded the figure and swiftly widened until the screen went static.

"oh crap, we got another after shock hitting"

"Stormbird, this one is 6.5, we better call all the heroes for this"

Next up: Joyride

Epicenter suddenly appeared one day in the middle of a huge fight between several metas. Even though the police had the street closed off and were not allowing anyone past into the combat area, she simply walked past them. As she got closer to the combatants, they suddenly stopped the fight and looked at each other and worked together to repair the damage that they made while fighting. She does not appear often, but when she does anyone fighting will suddenly stop and be friends with the same people that they were trying to hurt or kill only seconds before.

Epicenter tends to operate in an aloof manner. Her power is to mentally make others in a vast area going out from her see just what they are doing and how it affects not only the other person but also the surrounding community. For some reason even the most selfish and hardened of criminals will temporarily be convinced that what they are doing is wrong and must try to make amends by working with those that they are currently fighting.

Let us next meet: Ignis Fatuus.

Caitlin O’Brien was a science student doing research in Ireland. She was out on the moors late one evening, taking photographs and other measurements of the lights caused by the swamp gases in the area. A storm had been gathering for the last hour, and the rumblings of thunder could be heard overhead. The sky suddenly lit up as the first flash of lightning cut across the night sky. Caitlin decided it was definitely time to gather things up, and call it a night. As she dismantled her equipment, a bolt of lightning struck the ground mere feet from her. Some of the energy ignited the swamp gas near her. Caitlin was caught in a flash of energy and was knocked into unconsciousness.

While she was unconscious, Caitlin dreamed. Dreams of lights and faeries and magic. She had no idea what they meant, but she was sure that they had a meaning. She was sure that her life had been changed forever.

By the time Caitlin regained consciousness the storm had passed. She was still surrounded by the glowing lights, but now they were coming from her, not the swamp. After a few more minutes, she found out that she could also become intangible, fly, and make images out of light. She decided to use these abilities to fight crime. The newspapers originally gave her the name Ignis Fatuus, until they realized that she was a girl. Now she is known as Will O’ The Wisp.

Next name: VICEROY

Next up: Joyride

I know it's obvious but...

Joe woke up with a start. Around him was strewn money, drugs and the stuporfied bodies of 3 attractive women. Above him stood half a dozen police officers in full riot geer.

"Joseph Arbuckle you are under arrest for armed robbery, drug possession, assault..." the list went on. Joe had no idea what they were talking about, last thing he remembered he was talking to that weird looking bum on the street...

Joyride looked out from the eyes of the body formerly belonging to Officer Charles Menendez. Joe had been fun and his squeaky clean image had meant he could be ridden for longer than most before he lost his usefulness. Now, however, Joyride was riding a cop, at the very least he should get a week or two out of him, if he was careful.

Next up: Kill-Joy

Roy and Joy were the twin children of Luigi Manitarolle, caporegima of the Ventalossi family, the Mafia family of MacGuffin City. Born to wealth and respect (in certain circles), they already had it all; then they entered puberty and gained their powers.

Roy has a form of Mind Control best described as Domination; everyone around him pays him homage, nearly worhips him. Joy has a superhuman accuracy with all firearms, and the firearms she uses seem to do extra damage.

Upon Luigi's death, Roy took over his father's position, then the entire family. Though he considered trying to become capo di tutti capi, he realized that, since those not in his physical presence were not effected, there was no way he could hold onto such a position, if he could even gain it. So, he uses his power more subtly, becoming a "peacemaker," and "consultant" to other capos. With his influence in other families, his enemies have taken to calling him Viceroy.

Joy, on the other hand, was content to become an assassin, working for the Ventalossi family (including being hired out by them to other families). She takes pride in her work, and refuses the "feminine appeal" trickery. She is widely, and erroneously, believed to "get off" on killing, hence her nickname "Kill-Joy"; a nickname only the foolish use to her face--and that, only once.

The twins, Viceroy and Kill-Joy, are very close, and confide in, and trust, each other more than anyone else on earth. The team of top assassin and mentally-dominating Mafia capo is highly effective; what they want, they get.

Now that I've combined the splitting sub-threads, ;) up next is:

Hat Guy.