Announcing — HERO PLUS ADVENTURES!

Steve Long

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Announcing — DIME HERO ADVENTURES!

A further update:

We've had such an enthusiastic response to the "cheap, no-frills scenarios" concept that I think I can expand it beyond Pulp Hero. I've already had a couple of good non-Pulp ideas, including one for a favorite old Dark Champions scenario I wrote up for an APA years ago. That being the case, I need a more "generic" name -- "Dime Hero Adventures" is just too Pulp-y.

So, we're going to call them "Hero Plus Adventures" instead. Hopefully we'll have the first one on sale later today. :hex:

Re: Announcing — HERO PLUS ADVENTURES!

It's mostly a question of my getting ideas that work as short, easily-written scenarios. I'm used to thinking in book-length terms, so I have to avoid major concepts. Sort of like planning a game session, I s'pose. I have had a couple of ideas for HPAs that would involve a little research (into, e.g., what espionage agencies of the Thirties were like), but I think I'll do some of the less work-intensive ideas first. ;)

It's mostly a question of my getting ideas that work as short' date=' easily-written scenarios. I'm used to thinking in book-length terms, so I have to avoid major concepts. Sort of like planning a game session, I s'pose. I have had a couple of ideas for HPAs that would involve a little research (into, e.g., what espionage agencies of the Thirties were like), but I think I'll do some of the less work-intensive ideas first. ;)[/quote']

That is pretty easy for the US is not. If I recall correctly, there was no espionage agency for the United States during that time. The OSS, forebear of the CIA, did not come into being till 1941.

Before World War II, our intelligence organization was quite primitive. "The U.S. government traditionally left intelligence to the principal executors of American foreign policy, the Department of State and the armed services. Attaches and diplomats collected the bulk of America's foreign intelligence, mostly in the course of official business but occasionally in clandestine meetings with secret contacts" (Warner 2). The Office of Naval Intelligence or O.N.I., the army's Intelligence Division or M.I.D., and the Military Intelligence Service or M.I.S. were the main foreign intelligence gatherers for the armed services. These agencies, however, were usually small and poorly funded. The biggest problem though was the lack of coordination between the different departments. Information that was collected was rarely shared with other departments and there was no central point for intelligence analysis. This decentralization was not seen as a big problem until America found itself on the verge of entering the war.

See http://history.acusd.edu/gen/WW2Timeline/oss3.html

As for the other agencies, though it is from a much early time, Reilly, Ace of Spies is recommend. Shows a really how the modern spy business began.

At the turn of the 20th century, one remarkable man single-handedly tried to alter the course of history. Cold, ruthless, enigmatic, this Russian-born British agent radically transformed modern espionage techniques and set the mold for a new kind of secret agent-the super spy. REILLY: ACE OF SPIES is the thrilling, suspenseful dramatization of the real-life adventures of Agent ST-1, aka Sidney Reilly, the inspiration behind Ian Fleming's James Bond. Shot in glorious period detail, one heart-pulsing mission after another captures the arc of Reilly's brilliant career. From stealing top-secret Russian oil information to a near overthrow of the Bolshevik Revolution to his final capture by Stalin's forces in 1918, Reilly's exploits are at times so daring and reckless it's hard to believe it's history and not fiction.

See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000742FZW/104-1357313-1369539?v=glance

Just a quick update to let y'all know that Hero Plus Adventure #1' date=' [i']Spears Of The Tisangani[/i] for Pulp Hero, is now available!

https://secure.compnetco.com/herogames/browse.jsp?categoryID=4

I have bought it, just finished reading it, and I'm waiting anxiously for part 2... The Son of the Spear of Tisangani. :)

If maps or the like are required' date=' I’ll create them using Campaign Cartographer — they won’t be particularly slick or pretty, but they’ll get the job done. ;) [/quote']

I use Campaign Cartographer to make scale battle maps for my games. Would it be possible to get the CC2 files with the adventures?

Could it be possible to add a few more categories to the Online store, it's starting to get a little crowded as it stands nw.

Maybe split the Published Book PDFs, the old 4th ED stuff, and the new E-Published material into their own categories?

It just would make it easier for some of us who are looking for something specific.

TB

I have now bought and briefly looked at the new "Hero Plus Adventure #1."

I like it. I like it a lot. This is exactly the kind of thing that can go over very well. enough info to get something started, but not so much that you have to charge an arm and a leg and turn people off. OUTSTANDING

Having gotten HPA #3 out of the way quick and easy (wish I had more virtually-complete nuggets like that one on my hard drive ;)), I've returned to the Pulp fold and started on HPA #4, tentatively titled The Dordogne Zodiac. It's a horror/occult adventure sort of thing that draws on influences such as the stories of H.P. Lovecraft[1] and the adventures of characters like John Thunstone and Jules de Grandin. More as things develop. ;)

[1]: That's Hero Plus Lovecraft, of course, the famed 1920s/30s adventure scenario writer. :eek:

Okay, so Steve Long is writing about 1 HPA a day. They sell at $3.00 a pop. Assuming that each HPA sells four copies on the first day and a 10% chance per day there after of selling another. Let me see... carry the one, subtract the seven, cross the t, dot the i. That's a LOT of money. :shock:

Are you going to be doing this with any of the other HERO genres? I think this would be a great idea for Champions, Fantasy HERO ("Tales fo the Turakian Age", "Tales of the Valdorian Age"), Star HERO ("Fall of the Terran Empire"), Dark Champions ("The Blue Moon Killer Strikes Again!").... well, you get the idea.

Doesn't take precognition to see where my cash is going.

First one's great, btw. But I'm really interested in the second one. Hope I get it in time to read on the plane and formulate a campaign for my players.