Ideas for a Black Canary Homage

winterhawk

I'm coming up with the team of 'Big Gun' NPCs for my campaign. In the vein of Black Canary, I want a female martial artist with a 'gimmick' power like the Canary's sonic scream. Like BC, I want the character to be a primarily a martial artist, but have some power she can call on in a pinch. Also, any name suggestions would also be welcome, as long as its Black 'insert idea here'. Thanks in advance to the learned panel.

Re: Ideas for a Black Canary Homage

Humm...let me sergest...

Black Nightengale.

Black Raptor.

Black Cardel (the red bird which a baseball team has been named after).

Black Robin (or maybe not...to "batman"-ish).

Black Kristel.

Black Dove.

Well, anything as long as it is not Black Pigen or Black Seagull (Milwaukee curently has a Sea Gull problem, thanks to the St. Lawance seaway).

hmm ok I got a little carried away with this one

Black eye

Black eye is a talented martial artist with an edge. The mystical black eye pendant she wears lets her see spiritual energy allowing her to perceive anything with a soul or embedded with psychic energy (not just buildings but anywhere that is filled with strong emotions). Its also shows her there weaknesses. She is also adept at many near mystical healing arts.

She is also able to unleash what she calls a spirit pulse from her damaged eye this wave of spiritual energy can stun even the toughest opponent (as long as they have a spirit to effect) but it can be very draining.

Appearance

The black eye costume is a simple black leather fighting suit with discreet armored panels its has a slight piratical flavor adopted to match the eye patch she wears to covered her damaged eye she must flip up the patch to use her spirit pulse attack.

Origins

Regina Harper beautiful but flighty daughter of a wealthy industrialist spending her daddies money and goofing around as only the idle rich can until whilst goofing her way through college she met lance O’Connor he was her perfect man rich charming handsome and daring it was a whirlwind romance. They where married within the year

It was the social event of the season and they jetted off from the ceremony aboard a private jet towards a secluded island hide way in the south pacific. But something went horribly wrong with the plane an explosion perhaps it dropped from the sky spiraling into deep jungle somewhere near the border of Laos and Cambodia.

Regina was the sole survivor. Her left eye had been mangled by the crash and the concussion had robbed her of her memory.

Badly injured and in deep shock she wandered in the jungle for days until they found her strange priests from a lost temple deep in the jungle they took her in nursed her back to health with exotic herbs and secret rituals until she was well in body if not in mind though they could do nothing to restore her damaged eye. Unable to remember who she was she stayed with the priests learning there language and there ways she honed her body with there ancient martial arts learnt the secrets of there medicine and hone her mind with there meditative techniques it was through meditation her memories where finally restored.

Knowing that she had a family waiting for her Regina knew she had to leave the tranquil temple and return to her former life but before leaving the priests gave her one final gift a talisman bearing a depiction of an eye as it was hung around her neck the world changed suddenly she could see more than before she could see the spiritual energy embodied in people animals even places. She looked at the kindly priests who had cared fro her fro so long and realized they where more that her eye had shown her they where being of great spiritual power. And as the revelation dawned on her they spoke in unison now you see us as we truly are we are we have given you the vision so that you can go out into the world and be an agent for good a champion of the spirit and one day you will return here and join us in eternity and then she was alone in an empty clearing a map and supplies for a trip at her feet.

Regina traveled growing more used to the powers of the eye the eerie spirit world it revealed as she traveled she found her self embroiled in local trouble helping save a village from bandits saving a family from a fire getting on eth wrong side of a local crime boss who wanted her as a concubine after many months of adventurer she managed to get a job aboard a tramp steamer and work her way home.

Only to find her family gone a series of tragic accidents had killed all of her closest relatives and she was believed dead it she was able to retrieve the family fortune from the trustees and set up a charitable foundation.

But Regina felt she wants doing enough it was witnessing the actions of superheroes in the news that finally gave her the inspiration of what to do with her self she put together a simple black leather fighting costume and sunned an eye patch to cover her missing eye and set out toy fight crime do good and generally strengthen the spirit of the world.

I did a writeup for this kind of character in my last game. She got her powers when she was infused with the archetypical spirit of the Black Canary character concept, then underwent surgery to repair damage to her vocal chords from a childhood injury. She has different powers based on what kind of "voice" she uses as well as agility and fighting skills from her archetypical spirit. Feel free to steal what you like.

I probably should have explained myself a bit better. I'm looking to make a Black Canary Homage with a gimmick power that's not a sonic scream. freakboy and LoresLost have the right idea. A female MA with a little 'something extra' if she needs it. Thanks for the suggestions so far and keep 'em coming.

Black Powder: Martial Arts with a natural ballistic attack.

Black Beauty: Martial Arts with a pheremon back up power.

Black Mantis: Martial Arts with a nasty pincer attack.

Black Plague: Martial Arts with a Plague Touch

Black Iron: Martial Arts with a metal form (ala Colossus)

Black Tiger: Martial Arts with Claws

Black Force: Martial Arts with Darkness (or you could call her Dark Force)

Black Haze: Martial Arts with an CON-based Mental Illusion

How about a gun?

INT. THEATER - NIGHT

A PRESENTER walks to the podium and reads from the teleprompter.

PRESENTER: And the nominees for "Least Original Suggestion" are...

NEW ANGLE

WATCHDOG sits in the audience, nervous but hopeful. His fingers are crossed.

WATCHDOG (muttering): Come on, come on...

How about "Black Cat" (yes I know that it has been used before, a couple of times) extra luck, heightened agility and maybe claws ! or " Nightbird" add "Invisible to Normal and U V sight, only in shadow" to the martial arts ! Marvel did a copy/homage to The Black Canary called "Lady Lark" many years ago , but that was because of her sonic powers not the martial arts abilities. Or how about "Noir" (French for dark I think, and a term used for dark, brooding crime films, also an interesting anime !)

Oh, sorry "Winterhawk". "Mustt have "black" huh. Can we use some of the "other" terms for black ? Such as "sable" (the heraldis term) so that you could have something like "The Sable Avenger" or something ?(I know that that one is particularly lame but my brain won't come up with anything better right now !)