Useful Settings for Hero?

Trebuchet

The extremely positive (and quite unanticipated) positive response to my posting (in the Dark Champions forum and here) the Harrington Center, a general purpose public building, got Mentor and I to discussing at lunch what other types of buildings are lacking in official Hero material? Mentor and I work in the flooring business, so we've seen literally hundreds of floorplans and probably take this kind of thing for granted. It wouldn't necessarily be me who does these; as we've seen Publius is no small illustrator himself, and there are no doubt other talented artists on these boards. But it occurs to me that a thread dedicated to posting images of settings might be useful to more than just Champions and Dark Champions players.

So what else would be useful to Herodom at large? A high school (with Teen Champions coming soon!?)? A large church/school? A restaurant? A sidewalk cafe? A hotel? A nuclear submarine? An aircraft carrier? (J/K :D )

Re: Useful Settings for Hero?

Schools are always potential, but I don't recall any comics off-hand that had scenes in an elementary or junior-high/middle school; usually just high school. (Though in a previous campaign, my PC went to an elementary school to talk, but there wasn't a need for a map there.) Let's see what else:

• Luxury cruise liner
  • A mall
  • Hospital - not merely a clinic
  • High scale restaurant
  • Movie theater complex
  • Sports stadiums
  • Office buildings
  • Airport
  • Bus terminal ?
  • Train/Subway station
  • Shipping/Receiving Port
  • Master villain's HQ
  • An overview of different military installations (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard)
  • Maybe a top-secret military installation (Area 51, for instance)

These are all I can think of off-hand; most of which I've used or been a participant in.

Some of those are good, but some would be a real pain (a mall is huge). A stadium would be cool too, but a football stadium would use 50+ hexes just for the playing field alone. I shudder to think how large a bitmap for such a facility would be. I'd like to start with some more modest ones, like the high-class restaurant and maybe a subway station...

Some of those are good' date=' but some would be a real pain (a mall is [u']huge[/u]).

Well, yeah. :) I was just thinking of 'larger than a house' places that one doesn't see often. For the sports, though, you could do a hockey or basketball one as well.

And for the mall, there was one in Target Hero. :whistle:

Humm...hows about your typical McMasion?

What's a McMasion? Is that a HERO version of McDonald's? Though, looking at the word, I was thinking a mansion would be nice. I'd also like to see various different types of PC bases, but that would probably have to be a book (and one I'd be willing to buy).

What's a McMasion? Is that a HERO version of McDonald's?

Nope. It is a "mass produced mansion for the well to do". Sort of like "fast food housing". Also, a deogrtory name for mansions and condos which are mass produced cookie cutter style.

Schools are always potential, but I don't recall any comics off-hand that had scenes in an elementary or junior-high/middle school; usually just high school. (Though in a previous campaign, my PC went to an elementary school to talk, but there wasn't a need for a map there.) Let's see what else:

PS 238 takes place in an elementary school, but I can't recall any others offhand. Your list looks good, BTW.

I'd like to see a strip mall with 4-5 shops all next to each other; something the PCs can get knocked back through. They don't need to be big. Various cities have many small shops all sitting together under apartments and condos at street level.

A decent bank is always needed or it could be a currency exchange. Some of the larger chain stores [K-mart, Wal-mart, etc] would make an interesting map. Some fast food places would be good too [don't you hate when you go for a McBurger and get stuck in the middle of a hold up?].

A city plaza would be good too. The type of place where the Mayor likes to have his outdoor press conferences. Something all full of statues, fountains, and reporters. Those seem common to most cities.

A small section of an apartment or hotel complex showing 5-6 rooms and hallways might be good too.

Any, all of the above. I love to use maps but hate doing them anymore. I used to do them all the time when I was younger, say in my late 20's early 30's but now in my middle 40's I just don't have the inclination or time to do a good map anymore.

A good map helps tell the story as well as allow for detailed movement of all the objects in a combat and out of combat. I also have just used props and then used either a tape mesure or yard stick to do the movement, etc..

Raven

Just want to point out that Champions Battlegrounds has an excellent mall map in J's module, "Take Me Out To The Shopping Maul." There's also a semi-decent themepark map further on in one of the other modules in the same book, and a in-construction building map set from the Holocaust module in (again) the same book.

I think some public transportation facilities are in order as well--may I reccomend duplicating one of Orlando Int'l (MCO) gate outbuildings? It has an interesting design and plenty of glass facings. :D

• 3 months later...

The Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope conveniently puts their building floor plan accessible. The one thing that's missing there is a scale bar. That can be provided by looking at the 5th floor plan; the telescope is represented there, and the next-to-innermost circle is the primary mirror, which has a diameter of 3.58 meters. A schematic of the telescope is present at the table of contents, linked from the page I've linked to.

This isn't a new giant (that is, >= 10 meters aperture) telescope, but it's a very respectable instrument, and pretty reasonable as a setting for near-modern era mayhem. For example, I expect a planetary defense laser station would look a lot like this. ;)