Xmen Campaign

tiger

Ok after watching X2 I really want to get a Hero campaign going. The people I'm playing with are new to the hero system only playing it for less than a year. I've run FH, 40K Hero and we're doing a Star Wars campaign now.

I want to get a superhero campaign going and have decide the easiest thing to do for them is to run a x-men campaign. The players are not familiar with Champions. The closest they have come is my supervillian campaign. Here's some of the background for the x-men run

1)All the PCs will be existing xmen, however they will all be 14-18. Much as the new cartoon

2)Prof X, Beast & Wolverine will be NPCs and teachers.

3)Not sure if I'll be using large amounts of existing Marvel characters outside of the xmen

4)I have a extremely anit-mutant group known as Knights of genetic purity. The have taken over genocide (Can't remember the new name of the group) and are far more active and nasty.

5)All will be built on a low powered super hero setting

6)I will be using existing Hero Villians & material.

Problem I have is deciding who to have for the players to choose from. Here is a partial list:

Cyclops

Storm

Jean Grey

Rogue

Nightcrawler

Shadowcat

Colossus

Iceman

Can anyone think of other to have for them to choose from? ANy other suggestions?

New Mutants

The New Mutants make an easy add for beginning mutants.

Cannonball

Mirage/Moonstone

Wolfsbane

Sunspot

Magik

Magma

Warlock (not recommended)

Cypher (really not recommended)

You might also look in members of the Hellions to be added. I don't remember too many of them.

Thunderbird

Tarot

Empath

Those are the ones I recall. You might look into Generation X kids, but I never read that comic.

what about the rajin' cajun?

Gambit?

I don't know exactly where he falls into the "x-men timeline" but as a player, I would certainly enjoy having him in the list to chose from.

Also, you might want to check out This Site because I think it has write ups on it for the xmen you could use as a starting point. (I can't access it right now cuz I'm at work - our IT dept has it blocked) but I think they're there.

Angel

Jubilee

Longshot

Havok

Polaris

Banshee

Syryn

And then there's always the New Mutants (who were usually underrated).

Cannonball

Sunspot

Wolfsbane

Magik

Magma

Cypher

Warlock

Danielle Moonstar - (I can't remember her code name)

Doc

Re: New Mutants

Originally posted by Archon

Warlock (not recommended)

Cypher (really not recommended)

You might also look in members of the Hellions to be added. I don't remember too many of them.

Thunderbird

Tarot

Empath

For what it's worth, the original Thunderbird was and X-man. However, he got killed early on. His younger brother manifested the same mutation, but joined the Hellions because he blamed Proffesor X for this brother's death.

What I'm really curious about, Archon, is why you wouldn't recommend Warlock or Cypher as PCs? Warlock is an excellent character if you want to play an alien/outsider type. Cypher's only drawback was his own raging inferiority complex and a lack of imagination. His power was perfectly adequite if he just realized how to use it.

Doc

X-Members

Here's a fairly complete list of members of the X-Men Proper, The New Mutants (and the team they formed, X-Force) and the New Mutants primary foes, the Hellions. In each case I tried to go in chronological order (roughly). The more recent members (Say from 1999 onward) I'm only peripherally aware of and thus have likely missed a few of them.

X-Men

Cyclops

Jean Grey

Angel

Beast

Iceman

Mimic

Havoc

Polaris

Storm

Wolverine

Sunfire

Banshee

Thunderbird

Colossus

Nightcrawler

Shadowcat

Rogue

Dazzler

Phoenix II

Longshot

Psylocke

Forge

Jubilee

Gambit

Bishop

Revanche

Joseph

Maggot

Cannonball

Marrow

Dr. Reyes

New Mutants/X-Force

Cannonball

Sunspot

Wolfsbane

Psyche/Mirage/Moonstar

Magik

Magma

Cypher

Warlock

Bird-boy/Birdbrain

Rusty

Skids

Artie

Leech

Rictor

Boom-Boom/Boomer/Meltdown

Thunderbird II/Warpath

Shatterstar

Feral

Cable

Domino

Powerpax

Siryn

Hellions

Thunderbird II/Warpath

Empath

Jetstream

Tarot

Catseye

Roulette

Bevatron

Beef

Firestar

Save your self the head each and create the caracters for the players. Then they will be balanced and you can have as many of them as you want.

(If you are familiar with the Mojoverse you could use the Baby X-men he created they were around for a couple of issues basicly they had all the powers of the X-men but weaker.)

I've been wanting to run an X-Men campaign myself, but with my players relatively unfamiliar with X-Men lore (save the movie), I was going to use the movie setting for my campaign. The movie characters are NPCs, and my heroes as unique, new mutants. Does anybody know a good site where I can find some quick 'n dirty X-Men stats in HERO format? They'd probably have to be tweaked to fit the movie personas, anyway, but they would give me a place to start :) MAN, I'm dieing to get ahold of the UNTIL Superpowers Database... :D

PS: This is my first post here! Woohoo! ;) ~J

Here's the first, Colossus. He'll look a bit low, but he's young and starting out. They all will have the pysicla limitation Mutant. This is a disadvantage I use as is Detects as a mutant for non-mutants. I have a very active anti-mutant group which makes the disadvantage viable

Colossus

Player:

Val Char Cost
15/40 STR 5
13 DEX 9
15 CON 10
14/17 BODY 8
10 INT 0
10 EGO 0
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
8/25 PD 1
8/25 ED 1
3 SPD 7
6 REC 0
39 END 5
59/62 STUN 29
8" RUN42" SWIM08"/13" LEAP5Characteristics Cost: 89

Cost Power END
0 Organic Steel Powers:
12 Big & Bad: Growth (+15 STR, +3 BODY, +3 STUN, -3" KB, -2 DCV, +2 PER Rolls to perceive character, 4 m tall, 2 m wide, 8 kg mass) (15 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 1
8 Heavy Man: Density Increase (400 kg mass, +10 STR, +2 PD/ED, -2" KB) (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 1
36 Organic Steel: Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
3 Organic Skin: +4 PD (4 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
4 Organic Skin: +4 ED, Hardened (+1/4) (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
10 Organic Skin: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (12 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
10 Heavy Man: Knockback Resistance -5"
14 Organic Steel Body: Life Support , Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (17 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
5 Mental Conditioning: +5 Mental Defense (7 points total)
Powers Cost: 102

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Crush: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +4d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab
3 Flying Tackle: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +v/5 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls; FMove
3 Takedown: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, STR Strike; Target Falls
Martial Arts Cost: 10

Cost Skill
0 Langauge: Russian (Natvie) Complete Fluent: Literate
4 Language: English (completely fluent; literate)
3 KS: Art (INT-based) 11-
Skills Cost: 7

Cost Perk
2 Custom Perk
Perks Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 210

Val Disadvantages
15 Physical Limitation: Mutant (All the Time; Slightly Impairing)
20 Hunted: Hunted Mutant haters 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
15 Psychological Limitation: Questions worth to the team (Very Common; Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Protective of innocents (Common; Moderate)

Disadvantage Points: 60

Base Points: 150

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: Re: New Mutants

Originally posted by DocMan

For what it's worth, the original Thunderbird was and X-man. However, he got killed early on. His younger brother manifested the same mutation, but joined the Hellions because he blamed Proffesor X for this brother's death.

What I'm really curious about, Archon, is why you wouldn't recommend Warlock or Cypher as PCs? Warlock is an excellent character if you want to play an alien/outsider type. Cypher's only drawback was his own raging inferiority complex and a lack of imagination. His power was perfectly adequite if he just realized how to use it.

Doc

I don't recommend Warlock because I think he's on too many points. Cybernetic control, transformation powers, shapeshifting. If you do the game on 200 or 250, he would cost too much.

Cypher's problem was the same thing that go him killed. Yes, he had an inferiority complex. His power was completely non-combat. He had no business going out on many of the NM's hijinx(sp). Unilike, Dani, who was the best conditioned physically of the NM, Doug wasn't in good condition. For non-combat situations he was perfect. He could program which in today's world he would be a multi-millionare. But he'd still have to stay home during combat.

Since no-ones been kind enough to add the newest band of mutants to copme through Xaviers School for Gifted Youngsters, I'll put them forward. I give you Generation X:

Synch

Skin

Jubilee

M (Monet St Croix)

Penance

Mondo

Chamber

Leech

Artie

Husk

Cypher had buried potential. There was a hint in one of the last stories he featured in that he could use his power to read body language (poker match at the Hellfire Club). With that ability, Doug could have become one of the best martial artists in the whole school, with an inhuman ability to read an opponent in combat.

But yes, I do agree that Doug was best suited to be an Oracle type character. Or gone in the direction of something like SHIELD. While there does tend to be this unspoken law that mutants can't use weapons and wear armor, frankly there is the fact that Doug technically wasn't worse off than most of the non-mutants in the Marvel Universe. He had good reflexes and hand eye coordination, as displayed on a few occasions.

However Claremont was in full angst phase and no other writer could figure out how to use him to his full potental and make him an interesting character. He goes down in the long list of characters who had potential but killed off because the writers were idiots.

Re: Re: Re: New Mutants

Originally posted by Archon

Cypher's problem was the same thing that go him killed. Yes, he had an inferiority complex. His power was completely non-combat. He had no business going out on many of the NM's hijinx(sp). Unilike, Dani, who was the best conditioned physically of the NM, Doug wasn't in good condition. For non-combat situations he was perfect. He could program which in today's world he would be a multi-millionare. But he'd still have to stay home during combat.

Actually, this is the one area where I always disagreed with the writers for NM. If Cypher had just realized it, he could have been the toughest combatant of the team. Many times he used his power in order to read body language and know what an opponent was about to do. It should have occurred to him to view martial arts as a form of communication. Since his power gives him the ability to "speak" as well as understand a language, he could have become the world's premier martial artist in about 20 minutes of study.

Ultimately, the character was killed by his own inferiority complex.

Finally (I think) version oc Colossus

Colossus

Player:

Val Char Cost
15/40 STR 5
13 DEX 9
15 CON 10
14/17 BODY 8
10 INT 0
10 EGO 0
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
8/25 PD 1
8/25 ED 1
3 SPD 7
6 REC 0
39 END 5
59/62 STUN 29
8" RUN42" SWIM08"/13" LEAP5Characteristics Cost: 89

Cost Power END
0 Organic Steel Powers:
12 Big & Bad: Growth (+15 STR, +3 BODY, +3 STUN, -3" KB, -2 DCV, +2 PER Rolls to perceive character, 4 m tall, 2 m wide, 10 kg mass) (15 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 1
8 Heavy Man: Density Increase (500 kg mass, +10 STR, +2 PD/ED, -2" KB) (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 1
36 Organic Steel: Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
3 Organic Skin: +4 PD (4 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
4 Organic Skin: +4 ED, Hardened (+1/4) (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
10 Organic Skin: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (12 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
10 Heavy Man: Knockback Resistance -5"
14 Organic Steel Body: Life Support , Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (17 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
5 Mental Conditioning: +5 Mental Defense (7 points total)
Powers Cost: 102

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Crush: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +4d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab
3 Flying Tackle: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +v/5 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls; FMove
3 Takedown: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, STR Strike; Target Falls
Martial Arts Cost: 10

Cost Skill
0 Langauge: Russian (Natvie) Complete Fluent: Literate
4 Language: English (completely fluent; literate)
3 KS: Art (INT-based) 11-
Skills Cost: 7

Cost Perk
2 Green Card
Perks Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 210

Val Disadvantages
20 Hunted: Hunted Mutant haters 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
15 Psychological Limitation: Questions worth to the team (Very Common; Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Protective of innocents (Common; Moderate)

Disadvantage Points: 60

Here's the final version of Iceman (I think :) )

Iceman

Player:

Val Char Cost
12 STR 2
14 DEX 12
12 CON 4
12 BODY 4
10 INT 0
10 EGO 0
10 PRE 0
10 COM 0
3/18 PD 1
3/18 ED 1
4 SPD 16
5 REC 2
30 END 3
35 STUN 11
8" RUN42" SWIM07" LEAP5Characteristics Cost: 65

Cost Power END
20 Ice Powers: Elemental Control, 50-point powers, all slots: (25 Active Points); Not in arid enviroment (-1/4)
18 1) Make it cold: Change Environment 16" radius, -6" of any one mode of Movement - Running, 4 Temperature Level Adjustment (52 Active Points); Not in airid enviroment (-1/4) 5
12 2) Ice Armor: Armor (15 PD/15 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (56 Active Points); Ablative BODY or STUN (-1), Not in airid enviroment (-1/4)
20 3) Ice Bonds: Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF (50 Active Points) 5
14 4) Ice Ram: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. PD) (50 Active Points); Beam (-1/4), Not in airid enviroment (-1/4) 5
17 5) Snow Balls: Energy Blast 7d6 (vs. PD), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (44 Active Points); Not in airid enviroment (-1/4) 4
17 6) Snow Storm: Flash 4d6 (Sight Group), Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1) (40 Active Points); Not in airid enviroment (-1/4) 4
14 7) Ice Bridge: Flight 15" (30 Active Points); Muyst touch surface for brace every third pahse flight is used (-1/4), Not in airid enviroment (-1/4) 3
27 8) Ice Wall: Force Wall (15 PD/15 ED; 4" long and 4" tall) (87 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Not in airid enviroment (-1/4)
2 Life Support , Safe in Intense Cold
Powers Cost: 161

Cost Skill
2 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles
Skills Cost: 2

Cost Talent
2 Environmental Movement (no penalties on/in Ice or Snow)
Talents Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 230

Val Disadvantages
20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Heat attacks (Common)
15 Psychological Limitation: Joker (Very Common; Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Knows he could seriously hurt someone and tries not too (Common; Moderate)

Disadvantage Points: 80